Civil War info

  • Judi Hardin
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22 10:09 AM
      Besides the new Death Records information, the State of Missouri has now
      made available online information about Missouri soldiers who served in wars
      from the War of 1812 to WWI (http://www.sos.mo.gov/archives/soldiers/). God
      bless the State of Missouri and Secretary of State Robin Carnahan for making
      all this great information so easily available on line.

      At any rate, I've been happily looking up various of my ancestors who might
      have served in the Civil War. They have images of the original service
      cards, which for the Civil War tend to be sort of minimally informative--if
      I'm very lucky I can verify it's one of mine by the place the person signed
      up--they almost never include the soldier's age or anything under "Remarks."
      Most of them served less than a year--some of them less than a month.

      But yesterday I found a great-great-grandfather who'd enlisted in a CSA
      regiment in December 1861, apparently fought at Vicksburg and in the Atlanta
      Campaign (among other battles) according to the regimental history, and was
      severely wounded June 3 1864, and "reported to his command February 1865."
      Naturally I'm dying to know more, so I was poking around trying to figure it
      out. I can get his service records from NARA, right? But pension records I
      have to get from the state?

      TIA--

      Judi Hardin
      msjh@...

      The misuse of language induces evil of the soul - Socrates