Bryant Surname

  • starskyslady
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 21, 2006
      Hello my name is Pat and I am pretty new to the group. Along with a couple
      of other names I am researching the surname Bryant.
      I know my fathers parents, They were Jacob Fletcher Bryant, IL. And Mary
      Elma Williams,IL. My problem is Jacob's father, Wiliam Pettis Bryant. I
      have a few leads on him, but nothing is for sure.

      My first fact is that he was born in 1833 in Buchanan Missouri in Crawford
      Co. I am sure this is the right one.

      But am confused now. I went searching last night and found this:
      I had gone to the LDS site and found this. The date matches but since we
      never his wife's name I am not sure about it. And I have never known and of
      my family to live in PA.
      Here is what I found:

      Old Wells Cemetery
      Oswayo, Potter Co., PA

      Bryant, William Born 1833 Died 1903
      There was no fathers name listed nor mother listed.
      Spouse was:
      Bryant, Eliza Born 1850 Died 1932

      The birthdate is right. But dsince I do not know about his death, I am not
      sure about this person. I always thought most of them were from Missouri.

      Any help would be appreciated.

      Thank You so much.
      Pat

    • Susan Ball
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 21, 2006
        I could just be a case of same name/birth year, I've run into that a few
        times. Also sometimes the submissions to FHL aren't always correct
        (submissions made by people like you and me), but I doubt that's the case
        here since it seems to be a grave transcription.

        Have you found William Pettis Bryant in any Census records? You should be
        able to find him along with his wife and your grandfather - so if you find a
        William Bryant born abt 1833 with a son born abt whatever year Jacob Bryant
        was, that would be your first clue that you may have the right family. You
        can do further confirmation research from the facts you get off the Census.

        If you don't have Census access let me know and I'll do a look up for you.

        On 4/21/06, starskyslady <starskyslady@...> wrote:

        > Hello my name is Pat and I am pretty new to the group. Along with a couple
        > of other names I am researching the surname Bryant.
        > I know my fathers parents, They were Jacob Fletcher Bryant, IL. And Mary
        > Elma Williams,IL. My problem is Jacob's father, Wiliam Pettis Bryant. I
        > have a few leads on him, but nothing is for sure.
        >
        > My first fact is that he was born in 1833 in Buchanan Missouri in Crawford
        > Co. I am sure this is the right one.
        >
        > But am confused now. I went searching last night and found this:
        > I had gone to the LDS site and found this. The date matches but since we
        > never his wife's name I am not sure about it. And I have never known and
        > of
        > my family to live in PA.
        > Here is what I found:
        >

        > Old Wells Cemetery
        > Oswayo, Potter Co., PA
        >
        > Bryant, William Born 1833 Died 1903
        > There was no fathers name listed nor mother listed.
        > Spouse was:
        > Bryant, Eliza Born 1850 Died 1932
        >
        > The birthdate is right. But dsince I do not know about his death, I am not
        > sure about this person. I always thought most of them were from Missouri.
        >
        > Any help would be appreciated.
        >
        > Thank You so much.
        > Pat

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • starskyslady
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 27, 2006
          Hello Susan,
          Thank You for replying. I am sorry it has taken me a few days to get back to
          you.

          My grandfather, Jacob Fletcher Bryant, was born Dec. 25, 1866 in Callaway
          Co. Missouri.
          His father was William Pettis Bryant. He was born 1833. I have no idea who
          his wife was. I was told once that he was married to Sarah Jane Jackson, but
          the marriage license says Sarah Jane Houseman(?) I have never found him in
          anything. The closest I have came is Pettis Co. in Sedilia, Missouri. LOL
          Because of an vision problem, I have trouble getting to different places to
          do look ups. I am not blind, but I vision is closing in on the sides and I
          am only allowed to drive in my local area. So my sources are limited.
          I know people have had tons of luck on the internet but I am not one of them
          LOL
          So any help you could be would be greatly appreciated.
          Hugs,
          Pat

          I could just be a case of same name/birth year, I've run into that a few
          times. Also sometimes the submissions to FHL aren't always correct
          (submissions made by people like you and me), but I doubt that's the case
          here since it seems to be a grave transcription.

          Have you found William Pettis Bryant in any Census records? You should be
          able to find him along with his wife and your grandfather - so if you find a
          William Bryant born abt 1833 with a son born abt whatever year Jacob Bryant
          was, that would be your first clue that you may have the right family. You
          can do further confirmation research from the facts you get off the Census.

          If you don't have Census access let me know and I'll do a look up for you.

          On 4/21/06, starskyslady <starskyslady@...> wrote:

          > Hello my name is Pat and I am pretty new to the group. Along with a couple
          > of other names I am researching the surname Bryant.
          > I know my fathers parents, They were Jacob Fletcher Bryant, IL. And Mary
          > Elma Williams,IL. My problem is Jacob's father, Wiliam Pettis Bryant. I
          > have a few leads on him, but nothing is for sure.
          >
          > My first fact is that he was born in 1833 in Buchanan Missouri in Crawford
          > Co. I am sure this is the right one.
          >
          > But am confused now. I went searching last night and found this:
          > I had gone to the LDS site and found this. The date matches but since we
          > never his wife's name I am not sure about it. And I have never known and
          > of
          > my family to live in PA.
          > Here is what I found:
          >

          > Old Wells Cemetery
          > Oswayo, Potter Co., PA
          >
          > Bryant, William Born 1833 Died 1903
          > There was no fathers name listed nor mother listed.
          > Spouse was:
          > Bryant, Eliza Born 1850 Died 1932
          >
          > The birthdate is right. But dsince I do not know about his death, I am not
          > sure about this person. I always thought most of them were from Missouri.
          >
          > Any help would be appreciated.
          >
          > Thank You so much.
          > Pat

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Patricia Collins
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 28, 2006
            Hi Pat,

            I found your line on ancestry.com. You need to contact Janet Bradley at janetbradley@.... I'm sure you two have much to discuss! :)

            Bryant Family Entries: 2529 Updated: Sat Aug 25 12:52:25 2001 Contact: Janet Bradley
            ---------------------------------
            Ahnentafel, Generation No. 1
            ---------------------------------
            1. Jacob BRYANT. He was the son of 2. William Pettis BRYANT and 3. Sarah Jane JACKSON.
            ---------------------------------
            Ahnentafel, Generation No. 2
            ---------------------------------
            2. William Pettis BRYANT. He was the son of 4. Henry BRYANT and 5. UNKNOWN MARGARET. 3. Sarah Jane JACKSON. Child of Sarah Jane JACKSON and William Pettis BRYANT is: 1. i. Jacob BRYANT.

            ---------------------------------
            Ahnentafel, Generation No. 3
            ---------------------------------
            4. Henry BRYANT was born Aft. 1802 in Fayette, Clay County, Kentucky, and died Abt. 1840 in Boone County, Missouri. He was the son of 8. William BRYANT and 9. Rachael WILCOXSON. 5. UNKNOWN MARGARET. Child of UNKNOWN MARGARET and Henry BRYANT is: 2. i. William Pettis BRYANT. He married Sarah HERRYMAN. He married Sarah Jane JACKSON.

            ---------------------------------
            Ahnentafel, Generation No. 4
            ---------------------------------
            8. William BRYANT was born Abt. 1759 in Orange County, North Carolina, and died 6 Sep 1834 in Stonesport, Boone County, Missouri. He was the son of 16. William BRYANT and 17. Mary BOONE. 9. Rachael WILCOXSON was born Abt. 1754 in Rowan County, NC, and died Abt. 1821 in Femme Osage, MO. She was the daughter of 18. John WILCOXSON and 19. Sarah Cassandra BOONE. Children of Rachael WILCOXSON and William BRYANT are: i. Elizabeth BRYANT was born 1790. ii. Jeremiah Monroe BRYANT was born 20 Aug 1791 in Estill County, Kentucky, and died 11 Jul 1834 in of Cholera on The Mississippi River. He married Martha PLUMMER 20 Jul 1812 in Estill County, Kentucky, daughter of Samuel PLUMMER and Nancy HIGGINS. She was born Abt. Jun 1790 in Virginia, and died Abt. 16 Aug 1860 in Boone County, Missouri. iii. Hiram BRYANT was born Abt. 1792 in Fayette, Clay County, Kentucky or Estill Co., and died Abt. 1836 in Breathitt Co.,
            Kentucky. He married Sarah EVANS 18 Apr 1814 in Clay County, Kentucky. She was born Abt. 1795 in Clay Co.,Kentucky, and died Abt. 1872 in Montgomery County, Kentucky. iv. Huram BRYANT was born Abt. 1792 in Fayette, Clay County, Kentucky or Estill Co., and died 26 Mar 1875 in Jefferson City, Missouri. He married Susannah BRINEGAR 17 Oct 1815 in Estill County, Kentucky, daughter of Thomas BRINEGAR and UNKNOWN RACHAEL. She was born Abt. 1790 in Kentucky, and died Abt. 1847 in Boone County, Missouri. v. Thomas BRYANT was born 10 Jan 1795 in Estill County, Kentucky, and died 5 Sep 1845 in Ripley County, Missouri. He married Mary Polly BENNETT 11 Dec 1817 in Estill County, Kentucky, daughter of Thomas BENNETT and Elizabeth PROCTOR. She was born Abt. 1797 in Estill County, Kentucky, and died Abt. 1858 in Adams Township, Wapello County, Iowa. vi. Rachel BRYANT was born Abt. 1798. vii. Benjamin BRYANT was born 17 Aug 1800 in Fayette County,
            Kentucky, and died 30 Mar 1852 in Randolph County, Arkansas. He married Margret RAMSEY 13 Jul 1818 in Boone County, MO. She was born Sep 1800 in Kentucky, and died 1 Dec 1858 in Randolph County, Arkansas. viii. Susan BRYANT was born 1802 in Fayette County, Kentucky, and died Abt. 1824 in Boone County, Missouri. She married William RAMSEY. He was born 1800 in Kentucky. She married Robert HUTCHINSON. 4. ix. Henry BRYANT was born Aft. 1802 in Fayette, Clay County, Kentucky, and died Abt. 1840 in Boone County, Missouri. He married UNKNOWN MARGARET. x. George Washington BRYANT was born Abt. 1806 in Yadkin River, Rowan County, North Carolina, and died 1887 in Island County, NY. xi. William BRYANT was born Aft. 1802. xii. Gabriel BRYANT died Abt. 1827 in Hamilton, Indiana. He married UNKNOWN UNKNOWN.

            ---------------------------------
            Ahnentafel, Generation No. 5
            ---------------------------------
            16. William BRYANT was born 1734 in Wales, and died 1780 in Kentucky. He was the son of 32. Thomas BRYANT and 33. Susanna BOUGHAN. 17. Mary BOONE was born 3 Nov 1736 in Kentucky, and died 1819 in Missouri. She was the daughter of 34. Squire BOONE and 35. Sarah MORGAN. Children of Mary BOONE and William BRYANT are: i. Samuel BRYANT was born 1756. ii. Daniel Boone BRYANT was born 1758, and died 1845. 8. iii. William BRYANT was born Abt. 1759 in Orange County, North Carolina, and died 6 Sep 1834 in Stonesport, Boone County, Missouri. He married Rachael WILCOXSON 1790 in Yadkin River, NC, daughter of John WILCOXSON and Sarah Cassandra BOONE. She was born Abt. 1754 in Rowan County, NC, and died Abt. 1821 in Femme Osage, MO. iv. Phoebe BRYANT was born 1763, and died 1785. v. Hannah BRYANT was born 1765. vi. John BRYANT was born 1768, and died 1779. vii. Sarah BRYANT was born
            1768, and died 1829. viii. Elizabeth BRYANT was born 1771. ix. Abner BRYANT was born 1772. x. Mary BRYANT was born 1773.
            18. John WILCOXSON was born 1720 in Lancaster, PA, and died Bet. 1798 - 1805 in Rowan County, NC. 19. Sarah Cassandra BOONE was born 7 Apr 1724 in Bucks Co., Pennsylvania, and died 1814 in Madison County, KY. She was the daughter of 38. Squire BOONE and 39. Sarah MORGAN. Children of Sarah Cassandra BOONE and John WILCOXSON are: i. David WILCOXSON was born 22 Oct 1742 in Berks County, PA, and died 25 Feb 1834 in Maury, Tennessee. He married UNKNOWN KEZIAH 1780 in Tennessee. ii. Nancy WILCOXSON was born 7 May 1743 in Lancaster, PA, and died 3 Oct 1790 in Wilks, North Carolina. She married Benjamin GREER. iii. John, Jr. WILCOXSON was born 6 Sep 1744 in Lancaster, PA, and died 1835 in Howard, Harding County, MO. He married Sarah NOTSON 1 Mar 1775 in Rowan County, NC. iv. Elizabeth WILCOXSON was born 1745 in Lancaster, PA, and died 1818 in Elk Ridge, Maury County, Tennessee. She married Benjamin,
            Jr. CUTBIRTH 1759 in Rowan County, NC. v. Mary WILCOXSON was born 1747 in Lancaster, PA, and died Bet. 1850 - 1860 in Lafayette, Howard County, MO. She married Renelder WALKER 27 Nov 1778 in Wilkes, North Carolina, son of Nathaniel WALKER and UNKNOWN ELIZABETH. vi. Isaac WILCOXSON was born 1751 in Lancaster, PA, and died Bef. 10 Oct 1783 in Rowan County, NC. He married Ruth JOHNSON 17 Oct 1775 in Rowan County, NC. vii. Israel WILCOXSON was born 1752 in Rowan County, NC, and died 1781 in Bryant's Station, Fayette County, Kantucky. 9. viii. Rachael WILCOXSON was born Abt. 1754 in Rowan County, NC, and died Abt. 1821 in Femme Osage, MO. She married William BRYANT 1790 in Yadkin River, NC, son of William BRYANT and Mary BOONE. He was born Abt. 1759 in Orange County, North Carolina, and died 6 Sep 1834 in Stonesport, Boone County, Missouri. ix. George WILCOXSON was born 20 Jan 1754 in Rowan County, NC, and died Bef. 1801 in Sevier,
            Tennessee. x. Samuel WILCOXSON was born 24 Feb 1755 in Rowan County, NC, and died Nov 1825 in St. Helens, Lee County, Kentucky. xi. William WILCOXSON was born 1757 in Rowan County, NC, and died Oct 1828 in Barren County, Kentucky. xii. Sarah WILCOXSON was born 1769.

            ---------------------------------
            Ahnentafel, Generation No. 6
            ---------------------------------
            32. Thomas BRYANT was born 1700. He was the son of 64. Thomas BRYANT and 65. Mary FITCH. 33. Susanna BOUGHAN. She was the daughter of 66. John BOUGHAN. Children of Susanna BOUGHAN and Thomas BRYANT are: i. Joseph BRYANT was born 1720. ii. Samuel BRYANT was born 1721. iii. Mary BRYANT was born 1725. iv. Benjamin BRYANT was born 1733. v. Thomas BRYANT was born 1735, and died Abt. 1811 in Estill County, KY. He married Elizabeth CHANDLER, daughter of Samuel CHANDLER and UNKNOWN DINAH. vi. Martha BRYANT was born 1742. 16. vii. William BRYANT was born 1734 in Wales, and died 1780 in Kentucky. He married Mary BOONE 1755 in Rowan County, NC, daughter of Squire BOONE and Sarah MORGAN. She was born 3 Nov 1736 in Kentucky, and died 1819 in Missouri.
            34. Squire BOONE was born 25 Nov 1696 in Devonshire, England, and died 2 Jan 1765 in Rowan County, NC. 35. Sarah MORGAN was born 1700 in Berks County, PA, and died 1777 in Rowan County, NC. She was the daughter of 70. Edward MORGAN and 71. UNKNOWN MARGARET. Children of Sarah MORGAN and Squire BOONE are: 19. i. Sarah Cassandra BOONE was born 7 Apr 1724 in Bucks Co., Pennsylvania, and died 1814 in Madison County, KY. She married John WILCOXSON 29 May 1742 in Exeter, PA. He was born 1720 in Lancaster, PA, and died Bet. 1798 - 1805 in Rowan County, NC. ii. Isreal BOONE was born 9 May 1726, and died 1776. iii. Samuel BOONE was born 20 May 1728 in Berks County, PA, and died 1816 in Fayette County, KY. He married Sarah DAY. iv. Johnathan BOONE was born 6 Dec 1730, and died 1808. v. Daniel BOONE was born 22 Oct 1734 in Exeter Township, Berks County, PA, and died 26 Sep 1820 in St. Charles County,
            MO. He married Rebecca BRYAN 14 Aug 1756 in North Carolina. vi. George BOONE was born 2 Jan 1738/39. vii. Edward BOONE was born 19 Nov 1740. viii. Squire BOONE was born 5 Oct 1744. ix. Hannah BOONE was born 1746. x. Elizabeth BOONE was born 5 Feb 1731/32. 17. xi. Mary BOONE was born 3 Nov 1736 in Kentucky, and died 1819 in Missouri. She married William BRYANT 1755 in Rowan County, NC, son of Thomas BRYANT and Susanna BOUGHAN. He was born 1734 in Wales, and died 1780 in Kentucky.
            38. Squire BOONE Same as person number 34. 39. Sarah MORGAN Same as person number 35. postamble();

            I am also sending Census records I found to your home e-mail address.

            Have fun,
            Pat

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • starskyslady
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 29, 2006
              Hello Pat,
              I haven't stopped smiling. Just been busy. Today was our grandsons 2
              birthday and also we got to see our new great grand son. We have a total of
              20 grand children. 13 grandchildren and 7 great grand children. Boy that
              makes me feel old. LOL
              But I could not stop reading what you sent me about my family.
              Everyone always said that William was no where to be found, and just leave
              him out of the history book. But I could not leave it there.
              I sent an e-mail to Janet and it came back to me, made not sense to me at
              all. Didn't say why it came back, just a bunch of mumble jumble. LOL I was
              disappointed to say the least.

              Thank You so much for the info. I loved the census you send through, only
              problem was I could not read them. I do not have good vision but I printed
              them out have them all tucked away for safe keeping. I would have liked to
              have gotten in touch with Janet, I am sure she has more info.

              If could afford to I would join Ancestry.Com just for that part. But
              retirement cut into the budget a little.

              Thank You once again for reply and for your time sending the information. I
              will never be able to thank you enough.. I was thrilled to find out that I
              had family from England.

              Take care and feel free to e-mail me anytime. I love e-mail.
              Regards,

              I could just be a case of same name/birth year, I've run into that a few
              times. Also sometimes the submissions to FHL aren't always correct
              (submissions made by people like you and me), but I doubt that's the case
              here since it seems to be a grave transcription.

              Have you found William Pettis Bryant in any Census records? You should be
              able to find him along with his wife and your grandfather - so if you find a
              William Bryant born abt 1833 with a son born abt whatever year Jacob Bryant
              was, that would be your first clue that you may have the right family. You
              can do further confirmation research from the facts you get off the Census.

              If you don't have Census access let me know and I'll do a look up for you.

              On 4/21/06, starskyslady <starskyslady@...> wrote:

              > Hello my name is Pat and I am pretty new to the group. Along with a couple
              > of other names I am researching the surname Bryant.
              > I know my fathers parents, They were Jacob Fletcher Bryant, IL. And Mary
              > Elma Williams,IL. My problem is Jacob's father, Wiliam Pettis Bryant. I
              > have a few leads on him, but nothing is for sure.
              >
              > My first fact is that he was born in 1833 in Buchanan Missouri in Crawford
              > Co. I am sure this is the right one.
              >
              > But am confused now. I went searching last night and found this:
              > I had gone to the LDS site and found this. The date matches but since we
              > never his wife's name I am not sure about it. And I have never known and
              > of
              > my family to live in PA.
              > Here is what I found:
              >

              > Old Wells Cemetery
              > Oswayo, Potter Co., PA
              >
              > Bryant, William Born 1833 Died 1903
              > There was no fathers name listed nor mother listed.
              > Spouse was:
              > Bryant, Eliza Born 1850 Died 1932
              >
              > The birthdate is right. But dsince I do not know about his death, I am not
              > sure about this person. I always thought most of them were from Missouri.
              >
              > Any help would be appreciated.
              >
              > Thank You so much.
              > Pat

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              General liability American generals Family genealogy
              Genealogy research Genealogy family tree Genealogy information

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Patricia Collins
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 30, 2006
                Hi Pat,

                I'm so sorry you can't get in contact with Janet Bradley. The info was posted in 2001, so this happens when the info is that old. I had hoped the e-mail address would still be good so that you could get verifications and possibly more updated info from her. Oh, well...at least you have some names now to work with. I will keep her name in mind while browsing around though; you never can tell, might locate her yet. :)

                When you pull up the census forms I sent does a bar show up at the left top with a printer and other options? If so, then go down to the right bottom and an orange and blue button should appear so that you can enlarge the form as much as you need to. If you have already deleted the census e-mail, let me know and I will send them to you again.

                Have a good one,
                Pat

                PS Congrats on being a living part of four generations. I hope you take lots of pictures, that's a must! You know how the saying goes....you're not getting older, you're getting better.
[...]

              • Jon P Czarowitz
                Message 7 of 7 , May 8, 2006
                  Pat check Rootsweb to see if there is a surname group list like this
                  one. Janet may be a member of that group.
                  Jon