Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Missouri Death Records

  • runningdeer1011@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 20, 2006
      Hello hockeymom1368.Thanks for the organizational tip and MO death
      info.Could you please tell me where I could get a xerox copy of a death
      certificate and newspaper obituary notice foe a paternal great
      grandmother that died in Kansas City in 1961?I would appreciate it.
      Robert

    • hockeymom1368
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 23, 2006
        If you go to that same website (State of Missouri's website; Secretary
        of State Office) you should find another search engine for death
        certificates after 1961. I have had so-so luck with it.

        You can always write to the County offices for the county that your
        grandmother passed away in to find where & how much a copy of the
        death certificate costs (varies) They usually give you a choice
        between certified and uncertified (with certified costing more).
        Certified copies are more for relatives who need to "prove" someone
        died (like for will readings, etc.). Save yourself some money and
        just get the uncertified copy.

        As for the obituary notice, you would have to contact the area paper
        for where grandmother died BUT most do not have the
        resources/patience/time to get you a copy. I have better luck at the
        universities, local libraries or even a local genealogy club...they
        usually have newspapers on microfilm or will look into it for you and
        for a small fee, send you a copy. I have also managed to find some
        obituaries on ancestory.com (they have a link for newspapers and have
        added quite a few recently; searchable by name, place, etc.). You may
        even try to google the newspaper's name and see if they have their
        archives on the net (doubtful...but try everything you can...)

        Good luck...hope this gives you some more ideas.

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, runningdeer1011@...

      • runningdeer1011@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 6, 2006
          How can I get a copy for a death in 1961?