Suanne: CARR Was Re: WW I Draft Registrations

  • Judy Ardine
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 5, 2006
      Thank you so much for finding Claude CARR's information for me. Could you
      explain something for me? Gwendolyn and Clark were able to send me copies
      of WW I Draft Registrations for my father and two of his brothers, all 3 in
      Delaware cnty, PA. These are the first draft registrations I've seen.

      The information you provided for Claude CARR is quite different. I'm
      wondering if that is because he was in Michigan and the others were in PA
      or whether it is because he served some time in the service during the WW I
      and they didn't.

      Is it possible for you to send me a copy of the image you found? I would so
      very much appreciate it. And I certainly do appreciate your finding the
      information for me!!! I take it that he served 22 months in the Michigan
      National Guard as Private in the Infantry.

      Thanks again, Judy

    • Clark & Rita Pederson
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 6, 2006
        Judy:

        There were three different formats use for the draft registration cards.
        Different formats were used during different time periods when different
        aged men were required to register for the draft. Here is the link for
        downloading an empty form. http://www.ancestry.com/save/charts/WWI.htm
        (This is free from ancestry.com) It is great for helping read the
        questions in the different boxes in case you have trouble reading on your
        ancestor's copy. I'm not sure this answers your question about the data
        being different. What do you mean by different? Does it?

        I'll send you Claude Carr's WWI Draft Registration card outside the list.

        Here is the link to a very good article that describes the WWI draft
        registration process--who had to register and when etc.:

        http://www.ancestry.com/learn/library/article.aspx?article=10657
        <http://www.ancestry.com/learn/library/article.aspx?article=10657&o_iid=831
        &o_lid=831> &o_iid=831&o_lid=831

        Clark

        Oregon

        _____

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 7, 2006
          Judy, I have emailed you a link to the image. Let me know if it works
          for you. I'm afraid that my puter has fried and I've been trying to
          work off of an old overloaded windows 95 puter with much frustration.

          Suanne
        • Judy Ardine
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 8, 2006
            Clark, THANK YOU so much!! Yes, the WW I Draft Registration empty forms and
            the link to the registration process, who and so on, were a big help. YOU
            have been such a big help and I really appreciate it so very much. Judy

          • Judy Ardine
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 8, 2006
              Suanne, thank you so much for the link. I only very recently gave up on my
              Win 95, begrudgingly at that, and, believe it or not, am working now w/Win
              98 updated. My son keeps wanting to update me to Win 2000 or XT or some
              such. I threaten him w/a baseball bat each time he comes near my 'puter! A
              techie I am NOT! I get so terribly frustrated learning new software. Judy

            • Jon P Czarowitz
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 11, 2006
                Judy
                I suggest that you move up to another computer with at least XP on it
                before you get too used to 98. 95 is not supported any longer by most
                companies and 98 is on the way out also. I found that you can't upgrade
                from 98 directly to XP without buying the full program for $200 plus
                anyway and the newer computers come with XP on them and are as low as
                $400 or $500.
                XP is fairly easy to use too.
                To the others researching double or triple cousins, GOOD LUCK! I too
                have that problem. Discovered mine by accident when the middle of
                cousins line had the surname of my other line. So don't overlook middle
                names as a clue to lost or stuck lines. 200 cousins plus found that way.
                They were DEEP in family research and already had that many names,
                mostly living.
                Jon P Czarowitz
                --------------------------------

                Judy Ardine wrote:

                > Suanne, thank you so much for the link. I only very recently gave up
                > on my
                > Win 95, begrudgingly at that, and, believe it or not, am working now
                > w/Win
                > 98 updated. My son keeps wanting to update me to Win 2000 or XT or some
                > such. I threaten him w/a baseball bat each time he comes near my
                > 'puter! A
                > techie I am NOT! I get so terribly frustrated learning new software.
                > Judy
                >

                > --

                > <http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408&siteid=18621718>

                > General liability
                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=General+liability&w1=General+liability&w2=American+generals&w3=Family+genealogy&w4=Genealogy+research&w5=Genealogy+family+tree&w6=Genealogy+information&c=6&s=146&.sig=Wey-f6DcO0EYUcNtMwqZQg>
                > American generals
                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+generals&w1=General+liability&w2=American+generals&w3=Family+genealogy&w4=Genealogy+research&w5=Genealogy+family+tree&w6=Genealogy+information&c=6&s=146&.sig=u72bh5z7q9dpynt1dI-6Tw>
                > Family genealogy
                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Family+genealogy&w1=General+liability&w2=American+generals&w3=Family+genealogy&w4=Genealogy+research&w5=Genealogy+family+tree&w6=Genealogy+information&c=6&s=146&.sig=NdRgnUuIo-MpPtmipBOb5g>
                >
                > Genealogy research
                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Genealogy+research&w1=General+liability&w2=American+generals&w3=Family+genealogy&w4=Genealogy+research&w5=Genealogy+family+tree&w6=Genealogy+information&c=6&s=146&.sig=ToNqrgMYVs_8Tg-53APPhw>
                > Genealogy family tree
                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Genealogy+family+tree&w1=General+liability&w2=American+generals&w3=Family+genealogy&w4=Genealogy+research&w5=Genealogy+family+tree&w6=Genealogy+information&c=6&s=146&.sig=uMNt5wzesT-FdfwAE6xpFA>
                > Genealogy information
                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Genealogy+information&w1=General+liability&w2=American+generals&w3=Family+genealogy&w4=Genealogy+research&w5=Genealogy+family+tree&w6=Genealogy+information&c=6&s=146&.sig=K55Fw8UCv7oXpcfx3Pnsig>

              • Jon P Czarowitz
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 11, 2006
                  Suanne
                  Make a GEDCOM of your lines asap. Store it on a CD if possible. It will
                  convert to the 98 format, but the program itself is not supported in 95
                  form any longer. That way if your computer goes down you will have
                  something for your hard work.
                  Upgrading to a computer with XP on it is best. Too many in between
                  programs and they are dropping like flies as the newest ones come out.
                  Jon P Czarowitz
                  -----------------------

                  Suanne wrote:

                  > Judy, I have emailed you a link to the image. Let me know if it works
                  > for you. I'm afraid that my puter has fried and I've been trying to
                  > work off of an old overloaded windows 95 puter with much frustration.
                  >
                  > Suanne

                  > <http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408&siteid=18621718>

                • Judi Hardin
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 11, 2006
                    > To the others researching double or triple cousins, GOOD
                    > LUCK! I too have that problem. Discovered mine by accident
                    > when the middle of cousins line had the surname of my other
                    > line. So don't overlook middle names as a clue to lost or
                    > stuck lines. 200 cousins plus found that way.
                    > They were DEEP in family research and already had that many
                    > names, mostly living.
                    > Jon P Czarowitz

                    That's how I'm trying to find a 3xg-grandmother. Her oldest son was John
                    Hales Brown; her youngest was Colville Brown. I have some info indicating
                    her name was Harriett Coleman, but I'm guessing the surname was really
                    Colville, and that her mother's maiden name was Hales, so I'm trying to find
                    a Colville-Hales marriage in Virginia. I'm thinking it may be James
                    Colville, since the other boys in the family have Brown family names, and
                    possibly Sarah Hales, since one daughter is named after the father's
                    grandmother and the other is named after Harriet herself. Absolutely
                    completely guesswork, and probably hard to find and prove, since the time
                    frame is mid-18th century (based on dates for the Brown family), and
                    Virginia was a pretty big place back then, but it gives me something to work
                    with.

                    I've been using AFT forever, but developed a glitch last month--probably
                    corrupted data, since I reloaded the AFT program and am still having the
                    problem, even after running check/repair numerous times. I just got Family
                    Tree Maker from Ancestry, and am hoping that if I load the data as a gedcom,
                    it might load in as data with mistakes in it, but fixable mistakes.
                    Otherwise I'll have to print out all the family reports and re-enter 2400
                    people by hand. The prospect does not thrill me.

                    Judi Hardin
                    msjh@...

                    The misuse of language induces evil of the soul - Socrates