Re: need suggestions please!

  • bigred1442
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2006
      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "msjhwiu" <msjh@...>
      wrote:

      > It all started so innocently--two families on my mother's side
      named
      > Meyer. Both the men were from Baden, both their wives were from
      > Prussia.
      >
      > Then I found out each had a daughter who married into the same
      > family of Mortimeyers.
      >
      > THEN I found out that one of the Meyer paters, Anthony, apparently
      > had two wives, and in 1860 he had the 3 children of his first
      family
      > living with other families; Anthony himself is not to be found in
      > the 1860 census (I believe he was off somewhere collecting his 2nd
      > wife, who had her first child about 1860). Assuming he had left
      the
      > children with relatives, I did some searching and found that he'd
      > left his older boy with Phillipina Meyer Sasse. She was born in
      > Baden. Obvious but unproven conclusion: she's the sister of
      > Anthony.
      >
      > He left his youngest son with Martin and Christina Felzer (also
      > spelled Felser, Feltzer, and Filser). In forty years of census
      > records, Martin's place of birth is alternately reported as
      Germany
      > and France (perhaps he was from the Alsace-Lorraine area?);
      > Christina's is in Prussia. Theory: Christina is related to
      > Anthony's first wife?
      >
      > However, in later years, after her husband's death, Christina
      Felzer
      > and her family are found living next door to a man who married a
      > daughter of the other Meyer, Fredolin, which implies there are
      > strong ties between Christina and the Fredolin Meyer family. One
      of
      > Christina's daughters is named Phillipina, which could imply some
      > kind of close tie with Phillipina Meyer Sasse Theory #3: All
      three
      > Meyers (Antony, Fredolin, and Phillipina) are related?
      >
      > But how is Christina Felzer related? Since Christina Felzer was
      > born in Prussia and the three Meyers were born in Baden, I'm
      > guessing she wasn't a Meyer. Fredolin's wife was named Christina;
      > obviously the two women can't be sisters. Cousins? Both
      Christinas
      > and both of Anthony's wives were born in Prussia.
      >
      > As you can see, this is hideously tangled, and since everyone
      > involved seems to have immigrated between 1850-1854, and the
      > principals died before the state of Missouri started keeping death
      > records in 1910, but after the county stopped keeping death
      records
      > (which they only did for about 3 or 4 years in the 1880s), I'm
      > stumped. I have no idea where to go to get this sorted out. If
      > anyone has any suggestions I'd be most grateful!
      >
      > Judi Hardin
      > msjh@...
      >
      > The misuse of language induces evil of the soul - Socrates

      Yes, this sounds really tangled. I have a couple of cases where
      ancestors married into the same families again and again, sometimes
      on different levels. Yours sounds really more difficult though.
      I like your idea about Alsace-Lorraine. The reason I think that is
      because my father was born at home on the farm and I have seen his
      place of birth as different places on different census'. It seems
      that often the census takers spoke to different family members, thus
      different answers. Also, as in my father's case, it was easiest to
      give the name of any town not too far away. I'd bet they couldn't
      remember what they said for the previous census, ten years before.
      So, perhaps your people were right at what is now the France-Germany
      border on a farm and the nearest town was Baden.
      Do you have a town and county for them in Missouri?
      Hope somebody can help. I'll keep thinking about it.
      Good luck,
      Diane
    • Judi Hardin
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4, 2006

        > Yes, this sounds really tangled. I have a couple of cases
        > where ancestors married into the same families again and
        > again, sometimes on different levels. Yours sounds really
        > more difficult though.

        I've got one of those, too (also on my mother's side of the family... It's,
        er, interesting. ;-) I have to put down every single child in every
        single family, because if I don't it comes back and bites me. For instance:
        The great-great-grandson of a couple who turned up in the 1860 census living
        with the great-granddaughter of the same couple; she had married the
        grandson of the same couple (follow that?). He was apparently helping her
        out, because her husband had died, as well as making some money to support
        his family since *his* father had died. Sheesh. But at least I got that
        one figured out!

        > I like your idea about Alsace-Lorraine. The reason I think
        > that is because my father was born at home on the farm and I
        > have seen his place of birth as different places on different
        > census'. It seems that often the census takers spoke to
        > different family members, thus different answers.

        And I read in an article about the destroyed 1890 census that the census
        takers were instructed to ask the neighbors if nobody was home when they
        came around on census day.

        > Do you have a town and county for them in Missouri?

        Thank goodness, yes. I'd throw up my hands and forget about it if I didn't.
        I'm thinking of contacting the county historical society to see if they can
        help at all.

        > Hope somebody can help. I'll keep thinking about it.
        > Good luck,
        > Diane

        Thanks, Diane!