Re: need suggestions please!

  • Vicki
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2006
      It made me dizzy reading it. *smile" MIght be a long shot but have you
      looked into any history books of the county or listings for the state
      for any biographies of these names in the areas they lived? Do any of
      the other neighbors look like they might be related or even traveling
      together? Once in a while there will be a biography on someone else
      that will mention if the people came as a group, or even trivial
      things that will help us figure things out. I hope some others have
      other suggestions. Good Luck.

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "msjhwiu" <msjh@...> wrote:

      > It all started so innocently--two families on my mother's side named
      > Meyer. Both the men were from Baden, both their wives were from
      > Prussia.
      >
      > Then I found out each had a daughter who married into the same
      > family of Mortimeyers.
      >
      > THEN I found out that one of the Meyer paters, Anthony, apparently
      > had two wives, and in 1860 he had the 3 children of his first family
      > living with other families; Anthony himself is not to be found in
      > the 1860 census (I believe he was off somewhere collecting his 2nd
      > wife, who had her first child about 1860). Assuming he had left the
      > children with relatives, I did some searching and found that he'd
      > left his older boy with Phillipina Meyer Sasse. She was born in
      > Baden. Obvious but unproven conclusion: she's the sister of
      > Anthony.
      >
      > He left his youngest son with Martin and Christina Felzer (also
      > spelled Felser, Feltzer, and Filser). In forty years of census
      > records, Martin's place of birth is alternately reported as Germany
      > and France (perhaps he was from the Alsace-Lorraine area?);
      > Christina's is in Prussia. Theory: Christina is related to
      > Anthony's first wife?
      >
      > However, in later years, after her husband's death, Christina Felzer
      > and her family are found living next door to a man who married a
      > daughter of the other Meyer, Fredolin, which implies there are
      > strong ties between Christina and the Fredolin Meyer family. One of
      > Christina's daughters is named Phillipina, which could imply some
      > kind of close tie with Phillipina Meyer Sasse Theory #3: All three
      > Meyers (Antony, Fredolin, and Phillipina) are related?
      >
      > But how is Christina Felzer related? Since Christina Felzer was
      > born in Prussia and the three Meyers were born in Baden, I'm
      > guessing she wasn't a Meyer. Fredolin's wife was named Christina;
      > obviously the two women can't be sisters. Cousins? Both Christinas
      > and both of Anthony's wives were born in Prussia.
      >
      > As you can see, this is hideously tangled, and since everyone
      > involved seems to have immigrated between 1850-1854, and the
      > principals died before the state of Missouri started keeping death
      > records in 1910, but after the county stopped keeping death records
      > (which they only did for about 3 or 4 years in the 1880s), I'm
      > stumped. I have no idea where to go to get this sorted out. If
      > anyone has any suggestions I'd be most grateful!
      >
      > Judi Hardin
      > msjh@...
      >
      > The misuse of language induces evil of the soul - Socrates

    • bigred1442
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2006
        wrote:

        > It all started so innocently--two families on my mother's side
        named
        > Meyer. Both the men were from Baden, both their wives were from
        > Prussia.
        >
        > Then I found out each had a daughter who married into the same
        > family of Mortimeyers.
        >
        > THEN I found out that one of the Meyer paters, Anthony, apparently
        > had two wives, and in 1860 he had the 3 children of his first
        family
        > living with other families; Anthony himself is not to be found in
        > the 1860 census (I believe he was off somewhere collecting his 2nd
        > wife, who had her first child about 1860). Assuming he had left
        the
        > children with relatives, I did some searching and found that he'd
        > left his older boy with Phillipina Meyer Sasse. She was born in
        > Baden. Obvious but unproven conclusion: she's the sister of
        > Anthony.
        >
        > He left his youngest son with Martin and Christina Felzer (also
        > spelled Felser, Feltzer, and Filser). In forty years of census
        > records, Martin's place of birth is alternately reported as
        Germany
        > and France (perhaps he was from the Alsace-Lorraine area?);
        > Christina's is in Prussia. Theory: Christina is related to
        > Anthony's first wife?
        >
        > However, in later years, after her husband's death, Christina
        Felzer
        > and her family are found living next door to a man who married a
        > daughter of the other Meyer, Fredolin, which implies there are
        > strong ties between Christina and the Fredolin Meyer family. One
        of
        > Christina's daughters is named Phillipina, which could imply some
        > kind of close tie with Phillipina Meyer Sasse Theory #3: All
        three
        > Meyers (Antony, Fredolin, and Phillipina) are related?
        >
        > But how is Christina Felzer related? Since Christina Felzer was
        > born in Prussia and the three Meyers were born in Baden, I'm
        > guessing she wasn't a Meyer. Fredolin's wife was named Christina;
        > obviously the two women can't be sisters. Cousins? Both
        Christinas
        > and both of Anthony's wives were born in Prussia.
        >
        > As you can see, this is hideously tangled, and since everyone
        > involved seems to have immigrated between 1850-1854, and the
        > principals died before the state of Missouri started keeping death
        > records in 1910, but after the county stopped keeping death
        records
        > (which they only did for about 3 or 4 years in the 1880s), I'm
        > stumped. I have no idea where to go to get this sorted out. If
        > anyone has any suggestions I'd be most grateful!
        >
        > Judi Hardin
        > msjh@...
        >
        > The misuse of language induces evil of the soul - Socrates

        Yes, this sounds really tangled. I have a couple of cases where
        ancestors married into the same families again and again, sometimes
        on different levels. Yours sounds really more difficult though.
        I like your idea about Alsace-Lorraine. The reason I think that is
        because my father was born at home on the farm and I have seen his
        place of birth as different places on different census'. It seems
        that often the census takers spoke to different family members, thus
        different answers. Also, as in my father's case, it was easiest to
        give the name of any town not too far away. I'd bet they couldn't
        remember what they said for the previous census, ten years before.
        So, perhaps your people were right at what is now the France-Germany
        border on a farm and the nearest town was Baden.
        Do you have a town and county for them in Missouri?
        Hope somebody can help. I'll keep thinking about it.
        Good luck,
        Diane
      • Judi Hardin
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 4, 2006

          > Yes, this sounds really tangled. I have a couple of cases
          > where ancestors married into the same families again and
          > again, sometimes on different levels. Yours sounds really
          > more difficult though.

          I've got one of those, too (also on my mother's side of the family... It's,
          er, interesting. ;-) I have to put down every single child in every
          single family, because if I don't it comes back and bites me. For instance:
          The great-great-grandson of a couple who turned up in the 1860 census living
          with the great-granddaughter of the same couple; she had married the
          grandson of the same couple (follow that?). He was apparently helping her
          out, because her husband had died, as well as making some money to support
          his family since *his* father had died. Sheesh. But at least I got that
          one figured out!

          > I like your idea about Alsace-Lorraine. The reason I think
          > that is because my father was born at home on the farm and I
          > have seen his place of birth as different places on different
          > census'. It seems that often the census takers spoke to
          > different family members, thus different answers.

          And I read in an article about the destroyed 1890 census that the census
          takers were instructed to ask the neighbors if nobody was home when they
          came around on census day.

          > Do you have a town and county for them in Missouri?

          Thank goodness, yes. I'd throw up my hands and forget about it if I didn't.
          I'm thinking of contacting the county historical society to see if they can
          help at all.

          > Hope somebody can help. I'll keep thinking about it.
          > Good luck,
          > Diane

          Thanks, Diane!