Re: Family Trees

  • Tina Stedman
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31 5:27 AM
      I just took a Family Writing Class at MyFamily.com. She could not
      stress enough that how you set up the book depends on what info you
      are trying to convey.

      Are you wanting to cover the descendants of Ancestor XX who immigrated
      to the US? Are you wanting to cover the ancestors of XX to a
      particular time frame?

      From what I learned it is best to plan a small book and then add
      generations to it later. I have been wanting to write a History of
      the Schaefer family but I have ancestors in Germany and here in the
      US. I have close to 500 families so far and my research is still is
      not done. So I am going to write one book on my immigrant ancestor
      and his children and grandchildren. Then when I am done with that I
      am going to add volume two which will include My immigrant's father
      and all of his siblings. When I am done with that I will add a volume
      3 and go across the ocean and write about the Schaefer's in Germany.

      So for my first book, I am going to write about Michael John Schaefer
      and his children and his grandchildren. So the first chapter will be
      about Michael and his wives. The next 11 chapters will be about his
      children and their spouses. Then the next ? chapters will be about
      his grandchildren and their wives. I will list their children here
      but not go into any further detail about them.

      This will all be written in story format and then in the end I will
      put the family group sheets and a chart for easy reference. Make sure
      that you have your information documented so that when others are
      interested in looking into their past they will know what is proven
      and where. The stories about the ancestors will help to get more
      family members interested in talking about some of our ancestors so I
      can learn more about them. If it is just names and dates, only those
      interested in where they came from will look at it.

      If you have any other questions, please just ask. I will be more than
      happy to share my little knowledge on the subject and I mean little.
      I am learning more everyday from research and mistakes!!

      Tina

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, barbara erickson
      <berickson49@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      > I have collected lots of information on my family and would like
      to write down names in my family tree. My main question is who to
      start with? I have looked for " how to start" and can't seem to find
      anything.Do I list my fathers side first or my mother's. I'm sure that
      others may have the same question. I have the PAF tree from the LDS
      website and that doesn't help me. If someone could put me in the right
      direction that would be great. Thanks to all of you, Barb