WW I Draft Registrations Question

  • Judy Ardine
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2006
      Gwendolyn was kind enough to find the 1917 WW I draft registration at
      ancestry.com for my father's brother, Robert Hanby EYRE, who was b: in
      1894, but was unable to find a draft registration for my father, H(enry)
      Weston EYRE b: 1896. Could anyone familiar w/the draft registration process
      back then offer some explanations why Robert would have registered but
      there is no record of H Weston EYRE ever having registered? He would have
      been 21 in 1917. Would the fact that he was married and had a child have
      eliminated him from the draft registrations? Robert was married in 1917 but
      I don't know if he had children born prior to 1917. If H Weston EYRE was
      found to be physically unfit for duty would that be a reason for no record
      of his draft registration? Judy

      My apologies. When I sent this query a few minutes ago I failed to mention
      that both Robert and Weston lived in Chester, Delaware cnty, PA in 1917.

    • Clark & Rita Pederson
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 31, 2006
        Judy:

        When I enter Weston Eyre b: 1896 his WWI draft registration pops up.
        However the image is all black with no actual registration card. It does
        show the transcribed information:

        H Weston Eyre

        Chester, Delaware County, Pennsylvania

        DOB: 21 OCT 1896

        Roll: 1877853

        DraftBoard: 2

        Guess you will need to order the microfilm and see if it shows there. They
        had to get the transcribed information from somewhere so many just the
        copying process of the microfilm was the error.

        Did Gwendolyn send you a PDF file copy of Robert's registration, if not let
        me know.

        Clark

        Oregon

        _____

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 31, 2006
          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Judy Ardine
          <downeast@...> wrote:

          > Gwendolyn was kind enough to find the 1917 WW I draft registration
          at
          > ancestry.com for my father's brother, Robert Hanby EYRE, who was
          b: in
          > 1894, but was unable to find a draft registration for my father, H
          (enry)
          > Weston EYRE b: 1896. Could anyone familiar w/the draft
          registration process
          > back then offer some explanations why Robert would have registered
          but
          > there is no record of H Weston EYRE ever having registered? He
          would have
          > been 21 in 1917. Would the fact that he was married and had a
          child have
          > eliminated him from the draft registrations? Robert was married in
          1917 but
          > I don't know if he had children born prior to 1917. If H Weston
          EYRE was
          > found to be physically unfit for duty would that be a reason for
          no record
          > of his draft registration? Judy
          >
          > My apologies. When I sent this query a few minutes ago I failed to
          mention
          > that both Robert and Weston lived in Chester, Delaware cnty, PA in
          1917.

          > --
          03/29/2006

          I found the WWI draft registration for H Weston Eyre. Unfortunately
          the image won't laod.

          Suanne
        • Judy Ardine
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1, 2006
            Clark and Suanne, thank you both for taking the time to look for the WW I
            draft registration for H Weston EYRE.

            Clark, thank you so much for the transcribed information from that draft
            registration for my father. That makes more sense than that he never
            registered! Yes, Gwendolyn did send me a pdf file of Robert H EYRE's draft
            registration card, thank you for being so kind as to ask.

            There was one more brother in that family. Thomas Ellwood EYRE b: 14 Oct
            1891. He would also have been from Delaware cnty, PA. Would you be so kind
            as to look for his registration as well?

            Thank you again, Judy