new here

  • Mandy
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 28, 2006
      hi i'm looking for any information available on the surname TOWNSEND.
      If you can help moonrazzle@... as I don't receive group email.
    • Mary Lou
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 29, 2006
        Hi Mandy
        My name is Mary Lou and if you want my help I would be glad to, if I can.
        I would need specific names, dates, places, siblings and spouses if known, that will will help me identify your family. Thanks,
        Mary Lou

        Mandy <ghettogurl_gcfreak@...> wrote:
        hi i'm looking for any information available on the surname TOWNSEND.
        If you can help moonrazzle@... as I don't receive group email.

      • blondie12262
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 31, 2008
          Hi I am new here and basicly Just started working on tracing my family
          name of Spain. Not sure how to do this i Know a few names just trying
          to figure out how to do this. Anyone have suggestions on how to get
          started tracing your family? I Know my grandfather, great grandfather
          and great great grandfathers name. I would like to learn more as i was
          not raised close to the spain side of my family.

          Denise
        • circa_1948
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 31, 2008
            other than the usual pay and free sites, search keywords SPAIN SPANISH GENEALOGY.
            Aslo try cyndislist http://www.cyndislist.com/spain.htm and http://www.cyndislist.com/hispanic.htm are just a couple with Spanish roots links.
            Don't forget to search various site's forums like http://genforum.genealogy.com/spain/ for your surnames, cities etc.
            Good luck,
            Sunny
            IBSSG

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 31, 2008
              When I first started, I knew the location of where they lived. I began by looking at the census records for their county. Document the children that they had, birth/death dates,
              and some states have their death certificates online. Usually on a death certificate they list the mother's maiden name...which gives you another clue.. Often times in the 1800s, people married their neighbors, or even cousins.. That's where the hard part starts...

              Good Luck

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 31, 2008
                Where did the family live ? You could start with the census.Give me some of thier names.

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
                  Blondie12262

                  Try these sites:   www.rootsweb.com   www.familysearch.org   www.usgenweb.org

                  www.acpl.lib.in.us

                  Kevin Reynolds
                  Marion Indiana

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
                    You should probably join genealogy groups in the County, City, State where you know your ancestors lived. May run into someone who knew some of them. Also, they live there, often & have access to records from universities, papers, etc. Patience is most necessary tool. Sometimes goes quick, sometimes takes years.
                    Keep accurate records of where you Post Information, & what you posted, when,/Give nfirst/middle/last names of all known close relatives(mom/dad/siblings/grands,/city/county/state/dates of birth/marriages/deaths,  if any of these are known. The More info you give others to help you search, the better the liklihood they will get the right people if they find someone.
                    FamilySearch.com  is beginning place to start...BUT- on familysearch, Only put in first/middle/last name & state. If you put in a lot on this site, it brings up zillions of possiblilties. You can add more next seasrch if you find someone.

                    God Bless you & yours
                      Sheila

                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 2, 2008
                      Best bet is to gather as much information as you can. One big problem
                      is familysearch.org does not have some diocese and church records are
                      gold with Spanish genealogy.

                      Another issue is some places are known by different names depending on
                      nationality. The area my family comes from has 3 different names for
                      area and towns, Spanish, Basque and Franch. My family is from north
                      Spain/Franch border area.

                      There are a lot of Spanish groups, if determined, learn that an online
                      translator is your friend if you do not speak Spanish.

                      Email me if you want, perhaps I can help you. Just send me family names
                      and any information you know. I can post for you on some groups.

                      Linda Caastillo Valentino
                      branwynbreeze@...