Russell

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 27, 2006
      Ron,

      Here are the earliest Russells I have.

      Ephriam b. abt. 1765 to KY then to Jefferson County, IL

      Son William b. 1805 Lincoln Co. KY

      Daughter, Emeline or Emily Jane Russell

      Son William Wesley Russell b. 1858 Ky or IL (possibly out of wedlock)

      Since you are now in England, perhaps you can help me with another
      line - the Sheltons.

      The Shelton name is my father's family. I have information tracing
      this family back to 1610 - Jamestown (Sir James Shelton). His
      father was Sir Ralph Shelton, mother was Jane West or( Dorothy
      Jermyn - I find no info on her). Jane West's nephew was Thomas
      West, 3rd Baron De La Warr who came to Jamestown with James
      Shelton. Thomas was made governor of Jamestown for a year or so.
      The state of Delaware is named for him. If I go further back, I run
      into Anne Boleyn, aunt of the headless one so I am distantly related
      to her daughter (w/Henry VIII), Queen Elizabeth I.

      I have the following male lineage names with some birth dates and
      places:

      Sir John William Shelton b. abt. 1480 (married to aunt Anne Boleyn)
      Sir John Shelton
      Sir Ralph Shelton
      Sir Ralph Shelton
      James Shelton
      Thomas Shelton
      James Shelton
      John Shelton
      William Shelton
      Samuel Shelton
      Samuel Shelton
      Samuel Waddy Shelton
      David R. Shelton
      Samuel T. Shelton
      James Mason Shelton
      Clark Charles Shelton (My grandfather)
      Lee Edward Shelton (My father)
      Carol Lee Shelton Dimer (ME)

      I am looking to verify the early names, dates, spouses, children
      etc. and hope to go further back.

      Thanks,
      Carol in Orland Park IL
    • Ron Lahav
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 28, 2006
        Hi Carol,

        In order to help you with your Shelton ancestors in
        England, I would need much more detail. This would
        include geographical and personal information (e g,
        places of residence such as cities, towns, villages,
        counties, etc), personal status information (places of
        birth, death, baptism, marriage, etc.), and the like.

        I can tell you that lots of Sheltons still live in
        Tidewater Virginia, where I come from; Jamestown is
        about halfway between Norfolk and Richmond. As for the
        De La Warrs, they are still very much in existence;
        one of them in fact won the Victoria Cross (Britain's
        highest military award for bravery) during WWII. I was
        also interested to learn about your connection with
        Anne Boleyn, as my my wife is also related to her. Her
        maiden name was Southwell, and Anne's mother was the
        sister of a Sir Richard Southwell (the name keeps
        repeating itself), who came south with Elizabeth of
        York when she married Henry VII, the Lancastrian
        claimant to the throne. You might want to read a
        recent historical novel by the English novelist
        Philippa Gregory (the title momentarily escapes us)
        about Anne's older sister, who also had a brief fling
        with Henry VIII and who went on to be a power in the
        land as well.

        Please send me further details about the Sheltons so
        that i can be of more use. A simple Google or Yahoo!
        search on 'Shelton Family' or 'Shelton-surname' might
        turn up some surprising results.

        Cordially,

        Ron Lahav
        Gosforth
        Newcastle upon Tyne
        Engbland

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Carol Dimer
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 12, 2009
          I have Russells who came from VA but went to KY and then to IL.  Do you have any of those?

          Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out.
          But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
          - ? -

        • Frances Russell
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 13, 2009
            Carol, I don't think I have any of your Russells, but will be looking at them again just to be sure.