Missing Irish Ancestors

  • Tina Stedman
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 17 12:28 PM
      Just wanted to celebrate St. Patrick's Day with some postings of Irish
      families. Please post yours!!!

      I am looking for the family of
      Andrew Knox and Margaret Lowery - They were born in Scotland but their
      children

      Andrew Knox 1783 - Ireland
      Mary Knox 1785 - Ireland
      Christina Knox 1790 - Ireland
      Thomas Knox - 1793 - Ireland

      Only children that I know of. I know that they moved from Scotland to
      Ireland after their marriage and after Thomas' birth they moved from
      Ireland to Chester County, PA before heading on to Washington County, PA.

      Sure would love to find these guys in Ireland!! Any help would be
      appreciative.

      Tina Stedman
    • Ron Lahav
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 17 2:45 PM
        Hello Tina,

        A bit of a correction here - your ancestors would not
        be considered Irish by contemporary Irish people
        today, much less by Irish people during the late 18th
        Century. They would have been known as Scots-Irish,
        and a large number of these people moved on to what
        was then the American frontier. This meant that they
        would have moved into the Appalachian regions of what
        is now the US, bith in the North as well as the South,
        rather than settling in the established towns such as
        New York, Boston, or Philadelphia. While Chester
        County, PA, would have been considered 'settled'
        country, Washington County would have been the
        frontier. Those immigrants from Scotland who stayed in
        ireland stayed predominantly in the North of Ireland,
        or Northern Ireland, Ulster, or 'The Six Counties', as
        they are often referred to. These people are the
        ancestors of today's Ulstermen, Protestant and loyal
        to the United Kingdom; they refused to agree to become
        part of the Republic of Ireland (originally the Irish
        Free State) when it was created in 1922. They were
        always very fierce opponents of the Roman Catholic
        majority of the Irish population in general (who lived
        in the rest of Ireland), and they are still at daggers
        drawn with the Catholic population of Northern
        Ireland.

        This is probably a bit more than what you wished to
        kjnow, but the point I wanted to make is that you must
        never refer to these people of Scottish ancestry who
        lived for a time in Ireland as Irish - they certainly
        never considered themselves as such! The correct term,
        as I said, is Scottish Irish or Scotch Irish.

        Best wishes,

        Ron Lahav
        Gosforth
        Newcastle upon Tyne
        England

        > Just wanted to celebrate St. Patrick's Day with some
        > postings of Irish
        > families. Please post yours!!!
        >
        > I am looking for the family of
        > Andrew Knox and Margaret Lowery - They were born in
        > Scotland but their
        > children
        >
        > Andrew Knox 1783 - Ireland
        > Mary Knox 1785 - Ireland
        > Christina Knox 1790 - Ireland
        > Thomas Knox - 1793 - Ireland
        >
        > Only children that I know of. I know that they
        > moved from Scotland to
        > Ireland after their marriage and after Thomas' birth
        > they moved from
        > Ireland to Chester County, PA before heading on to
        > Washington County, PA.
        >
        > Sure would love to find these guys in Ireland!! Any
        > help would be
        > appreciative.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Tina Stedman
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 17 4:17 PM
          I totally agree with you. As the moderator of this group, I was
          hoping to get people to post their Irish ancestors and unfortunately
          that was the closest I could get for an example of what info to post.
          I knew the children had been born in Ireland but have no clue as to
          location and I can't find any record of them leaving Ireland for
          America. I assume they came through Philly since they only went as
          far as Chester County. I am really hoping to find out if other
          children were born to this marriage and died before they left and for
          clues as to where in Scotland they may have been from.

          I was very interested though in some of the history you wrote.
          According to Andrew's naturalization papers filed in Washington
          County, PA, he had to list other locations he has lived here in the
          states. He listed Chester County, PA. So he lived there for a little
          while and his father, Andrew, died there. Yet, I can find absolutely
          no records of the family there at all and no records of the father in
          Washington County. Maybe they settled there for a time being because
          the father was sick. Don't know but it is an unsolved mystery for me.

          The only clue I have as to location is that Andrew and Margaret were
          from "Annie Laurie County, Scotland". I haven't been able to solve
          that one. Any suggestions?

          Tina

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Ron Lahav

        • cjojo@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 17 8:28 PM
            I am of Irish descent. I don't know much. My great grandfather was Tom Anderson born in Ireland. He married a Duncan and had Joseph Wilson, Ann and James. That is really all I know...........................

            From: "Tina Stedman" <tolksteel@...>

            <shmendrik1812@...> wrote:

            > Hello Tina,
            >
            > A bit of a correction here - your ancestors would not
            > be considered Irish by contemporary Irish people
            > today, much less by Irish people during the late 18th
            > Century. They would have been known as Scots-Irish,
            > and a large number of these people moved on to what
            > was then the American frontier. This meant that they
            > would have moved into the Appalachian regions of what
            > is now the US, bith in the North as well as the South,
            > rather than settling in the established towns such as
            > New York, Boston, or Philadelphia. While Chester
            > County, PA, would have been considered 'settled'
            > country, Washington County would have been the
            > frontier. Those immigrants from Scotland who stayed in
            > ireland stayed predominantly in the North of Ireland,
            > or Northern Ireland, Ulster, or 'The Six Counties', as
            > they are often referred to. These people are the
            > ancestors of today's Ulstermen, Protestant and loyal
            > to the United Kingdom; they refused to agree to become
            > part of the Republic of Ireland (originally the Irish
            > Free State) when it was created in 1922. They were
            > always very fierce opponents of the Roman Catholic
            > majority of the Irish population in general (who lived
            > in the rest of Ireland), and they are still at daggers
            > drawn with the Catholic population of Northern
            > Ireland.
            >
            > This is probably a bit more than what you wished to
            > kjnow, but the point I wanted to make is that you must
            > never refer to these people of Scottish ancestry who
            > lived for a time in Ireland as Irish - they certainly
            > never considered themselves as such! The correct term,
            > as I said, is Scottish Irish or Scotch Irish.
            >
            > Best wishes,
            >
            > Ron Lahav
            > Gosforth
            > Newcastle upon Tyne
            > England
            >
            > > Just wanted to celebrate St. Patrick's Day with some
            > > postings of Irish
            > > families. Please post yours!!!
            > >
            > > I am looking for the family of
            > > Andrew Knox and Margaret Lowery - They were born in
            > > Scotland but their
            > > children
            > >
            > > Andrew Knox 1783 - Ireland
            > > Mary Knox 1785 - Ireland
            > > Christina Knox 1790 - Ireland
            > > Thomas Knox - 1793 - Ireland
            > >
            > > Only children that I know of. I know that they
            > > moved from Scotland to
            > > Ireland after their marriage and after Thomas' birth
            > > they moved from
            > > Ireland to Chester County, PA before heading on to
            > > Washington County, PA.
            > >
            > > Sure would love to find these guys in Ireland!! Any
            > > help would be
            > > appreciative.

            > http://mail.yahoo.com

            Genealogy research Genealogy family tree Genealogy information

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          • cjojo@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 17 8:32 PM
              In the 1800 and on up till now there have been lots of Knox living in the Cannon County, Tennessee area. I don't know where they came from, you might try a Knox message on a genealogy message board.

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 18 6:40 AM
                Helklo Tina,

                Thanks for your reply to my comments - I'm glad I
                didn't offend anyone! As for 'Annie Laurie County', I
                am sure that you know as well as I that there ain't no
                msuch place. What you might try to do is to contact
                one of the Scottish golklore web sites and see of
                anyone there can provide any info as to when and where
                the song was composed or at least when it was first
                written down. This may give some clue as to what
                'Annie Laurie County' actually may be. I know for
                example that 'Barbara Allen County' is generally
                regarded as being Dumfrieshire, a county in
                southwestern Scotland which no longer exists - maybe
                there is some similar attribution for Annie Laurie/

                BTW, there is quite a well-known tv and stage actress
                here in the UK named Allison Stedman - any relations?

                Ron Lahav

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • kawalla26
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 18 2:34 PM
                  Happy St. Patrick's Day to all.

                  My Irish ancestors I am looking for are Delury's originally from
                  Tralee. Can't written documentaion on how & when they exactly came
                  to America.

                  Other Irish ancestors are Finane, Duffy, O'Brien, O'Gorman...there
                  are a few more but this is the just of them.

                  If anyone knows of any Delury's in Ireland I would love to correspond.

                  Theresa

                  --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Tina Stedman"
                  <tolksteel@...> wrote:

                  > Just wanted to celebrate St. Patrick's Day with some postings of
                  Irish
                  > families. Please post yours!!!
                  >
                  > I am looking for the family of
                  > Andrew Knox and Margaret Lowery - They were born in Scotland but
                  their
                  > children
                  >
                  > Andrew Knox 1783 - Ireland
                  > Mary Knox 1785 - Ireland
                  > Christina Knox 1790 - Ireland
                  > Thomas Knox - 1793 - Ireland
                  >
                  > Only children that I know of. I know that they moved from Scotland
                  > Ireland after their marriage and after Thomas' birth they moved from
                  > Ireland to Chester County, PA before heading on to Washington
                  County, PA.

                  > Sure would love to find these guys in Ireland!! Any help would be
                  > appreciative.
                  >
                  > Tina Stedman

                • Tina Stedman
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 18 3:35 PM
                    No worries. Takes a lot to offend me especially since I have been
                    running this club from the beginning. I do get some interesting
                    emails!!!!

                    I have a friend who was born in England and raised in Scotland. She
                    has been helping to try to figure out where "Annie Laurie" is or was!!
                    We are following up some leads. Knox was a sept of the MacFarlan
                    clan who had ties to the Stewart clan (not necessarily on their own
                    free will!!). The Stewart clan is associated with the McLaren Clan
                    who has a sept clan of Lawrie. We are trying to see if 1. Andrew
                    Knox married a Margaret Lawrie instead of Lowery. 2. Where these 3
                    clans intersected and if my family connects in any way. The MacFarlan
                    clan though died out through no male heir right about the time frame
                    of my Knox's in the area.

                    The Stedman line actually traces back to Scotland and then England.
                    Quite some history there. She is probably some distant cousin that I
                    do not know.

                    We are hoping to take our children this year to some Highland Games
                    here in the states with our Scottish friends. We have two Scottish
                    military families living near us that my kids play with. So when I do
                    finally make it to Scotland I have some natives to show me around.
                    Not only do I have Scottish connections through Knox and Stedman but
                    also through Campbell. So I can't wait till I get a vacation to
                    Scotland. My husband is looking forward to golf and I am looking
                    forward to cemeteries and libraries!!!

                    If you have any other ideas on how to find the location, just let me
                    know. Always willing to try anything to break down those walls.

                    <shmendrik1812@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > > part of the Republic of Ireland (originally the
                    > > Irish
                    > > > Free State) when it was created in 1922. They were
                    > > > always very fierce opponents of the Roman Catholic
                    > > > majority of the Irish population in general (who
                    > > lived
                    > > > in the rest of Ireland), and they are still at
                    > > daggers
                    > > > drawn with the Catholic population of Northern
                    > > > Ireland.
                    > > >
                    > > > This is probably a bit more than what you wished
                    > > > kjnow, but the point I wanted to make is that you
                    > > must
                    > > > never refer to these people of Scottish ancestry
                    > > who
                    > > > lived for a time in Ireland as Irish - they
                    > > certainly
                    > > > never considered themselves as such! The correct
                    > > term,
                    > > > as I said, is Scottish Irish or Scotch Irish.

                  • Ron Lahav
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 19 7:50 AM
                      Try the various Scottish genealogy and folklore
                      societies, also search under 'Annie Laurie' and see
                      what comes up. Newcastle is not that far from
                      Scotland, about 1/12 hours by car from Edinburgh. If
                      you have time, why not drive down here for a day or
                      two. There are some fantastic things to see here -
                      lots of castles in the area (to protect people and
                      property from Scottish Reivers or Border Thieves), the
                      estyate if thge Dukes of Northumberland, which has
                      fabulous gardens and is open to visitors during the
                      summer (the current Duke and Duchess still live
                      there), Hexham Abbey, a medieval abbey run by the
                      Anglican (Episcopal) Benedictines, and much much more.

                      Best wishes.

                      Ron

                      === message truncated ===

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Ron Lahav
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 19 7:51 AM
                        Have you tried various Irish genealogical societies?
                        Also, try checking parish records in Co. Tralee.

                        Ron Lahav
                        Gosforth
                        Newcastle upon Tyne
                        England

                        --- kawalla26 <kawalla26@...> wrote:

                        > Happy St. Patrick's Day to all.
                        >
                        > My Irish ancestors I am looking for are Delury's
                        > originally from
                        > Tralee. Can't written documentaion on how & when
                        > they exactly came
                        > to America.
                        >
                        > Other Irish ancestors are Finane, Duffy, O'Brien,
                        > O'Gorman...there
                        > are a few more but this is the just of them.
                        >
                        > If anyone knows of any Delury's in Ireland I would
                        > love to correspond.
                        >
                        > Theresa
                        >

                        > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Tina
                        > Stedman"
                        > <tolksteel@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Just wanted to celebrate St. Patrick's Day with
                        > some postings of
                        > Irish
                        > > families. Please post yours!!!
                        > >
                        > > I am looking for the family of
                        > > Andrew Knox and Margaret Lowery - They were born
                        > in Scotland but
                        > their
                        > > children
                        > >
                        > > Andrew Knox 1783 - Ireland
                        > > Mary Knox 1785 - Ireland
                        > > Christina Knox 1790 - Ireland
                        > > Thomas Knox - 1793 - Ireland
                        > >
                        > > Only children that I know of. I know that they
                        > moved from Scotland
                        > > Ireland after their marriage and after Thomas'
                        > birth they moved from
                        > > Ireland to Chester County, PA before heading on to
                        > Washington
                        > County, PA.
                        > >
                        > > Sure would love to find these guys in Ireland!!
                        > Any help would be
                        > > appreciative.
                        > >
                        > > Tina Stedman

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Forrest Plumstead
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 20 6:36 AM
                          Hi Tina!

                          I agree with what Ron said although I think he was siding a little more on
                          the Irish side then that of the Scotch Irish. He failed to mention that
                          Northern Ireland is now a soveron (SIC) nation. I have family from Ulster
                          (County Armagh), which were Scotch Irish. My 8X g-grandfather Francis HOBSON
                          I, was a martyr for the Quaker cause. I belong to a fantastic list
                          Scotch-Irish-L-request@... . (Of course I belong to another great
                          list on Yahoo and have been a member for years <VBG>). This is a very good
                          list to get genealogical information, background and history of the
                          Scotch-Irish. I highly recomend it!

                          Forrest Plumstead fplum1@...
                          Researching the following Surnames:
                          Plumstead and Associated Families:

> [...]
                          >> Gosforth
                          >> Newcastle upon Tyne
                          >> England
                          >>
                          >> > Just wanted to celebrate St. Patrick's Day with some
                          >> > postings of Irish
                          >> > families. Please post yours!!!
                          >> >
                          >> > I am looking for the family of
                          >> > Andrew Knox and Margaret Lowery - They were born in
                          >> > Scotland but their
                          >> > children
                          >> >
                          >> > Andrew Knox 1783 - Ireland
                          >> > Mary Knox 1785 - Ireland
                          >> > Christina Knox 1790 - Ireland
                          >> > Thomas Knox - 1793 - Ireland
                          >> >
                          >> > Only children that I know of. I know that they
                          >> > moved from Scotland to
                          >> > Ireland after their marriage and after Thomas' birth
                          >> > they moved from
                          >> > Ireland to Chester County, PA before heading on to
                          >> > Washington County, PA.
                          >> >
                          >> > Sure would love to find these guys in Ireland!! Any

                        • Tina Stedman
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 20 5:39 PM
                            Thanks Forrest! I will give that list a try. Since this is my
                            personal surname, I sure would love to go further with it than I have.
                            They must have just flown in on an UFO!!! Typical for my family,
                            always doing it a different way.

                            Tina

                            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Forrest Plumstead"
                            <fplum1@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Tina!
                            >
                            > I agree with what Ron said although I think he was siding a little
                            more on
                            > the Irish side then that of the Scotch Irish. He failed to mention that
                            > Northern Ireland is now a soveron (SIC) nation. I have family from
                            Ulster
                            > (County Armagh), which were Scotch Irish. My 8X g-grandfather
                            Francis HOBSON
                            > I, was a martyr for the Quaker cause. I belong to a fantastic list
                            > Scotch-Irish-L-request@... . (Of course I belong to another great
                            > list on Yahoo and have been a member for years <VBG>). This is a
                            very good
                            > list to get genealogical information, background and history of the
                            > Scotch-Irish. I highly recomend it!
                            >
                            > Forrest Plumstead fplum1@...
                            > Researching the following Surnames:
                            > Bushouse, Plumstead, Risser, Schroeder, Senne, Thayer,
                            > Quaker Families: Coppock, Heald, Hobson, Hollingsworth, Potts, Ross,
                            Watt
                            > Plumstead and Associated Families:
                            > http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fplum/
                            > Military Kool Lynx: http://geocities.com/fplum/
                            > Ham Radio WB5HQO http://forrest.3h.com/main.html

                          • Forrest Plumstead
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 20 7:39 PM
                              You think that's bad? My 4X g-grandfather was conceived at his wedding. I
                              have all kinds of records for him his wife and family from his wedding
                              onward. But I still have not found his place of birth, date,
                              christening/baptism, or his parents. Argh!

                            • Ron Lahav
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 21 5:11 AM
                                Hello Forrest,

                                I'm afraid that I have to correct you on a few points.
                                First, Northern Ireland is not a sovereign nation, it
                                is a Province of the United Kingdom (not of either
                                England or Scotland), and the Sovereign of the United
                                Kingdom is thus also the Sovereign of Northern
                                Ireland. There is a plan, called the Good Friday
                                Agreement, to grant Northern Ireland its own
                                Legislative Assembly along the lines of those granted
                                to Scotland and Wales, but except for a very brief
                                period the Assembly, based in Stormont Castle in
                                Belfast, has never met. This is largely due to
                                intransigence on the part of both the Loyalist
                                (Protestant) and the Nationalist (Republican) sides,
                                as neither is willing to make any compromises.

                                The Republic of Ireland, the remaining 26 counties of
                                Ireland, is indeed a sovereign nation. It was granted
                                independence in 1922 as the Irish Free State (Saorstat
                                Eireann), and was a Dominion in what was then the
                                British Commonwealth (now called simply the
                                Commonwealth of nations; it even includes two
                                countries which were never under British rule at all,
                                Cameroun and Mozambique). As such, the Irish Free
                                State was the only Commonwealth nation to remain
                                neutral during World War II, althoug many individual
                                Irish people served in the British armed forces. In
                                fact, the then Taoiseach or Prime Minister of the
                                Irish Free State, Eamónn de Valera, actually signed
                                the Book of Condolences at the German Embassy in
                                Dublin in early May 1945 upon receiving the news that
                                Hitler had died. Ireland left the Commonwealth in 1948
                                and changed its name to the Republic of Ireland.

                                Northern Ireland is commonly called Ulster in the rest
                                of the United Kingdom as its borders are roughly
                                contiguous with those of the ancient Irish Kingdom of
                                Ulster; indeed, the Northern Ireland Protestants have
                                adopted the Red Hand of Ulster as their badge and
                                symbol. At the time of Partition the population of
                                Northern Ireland was about 70% Protestant and 30%
                                Roman Catholic, but over the course of the 20th
                                Century the demographics have changed considerably to
                                the point where the population of each group is
                                roughly equal. From the beginning, however, the two
                                groups have almost never lived in side by side in
                                adjoining houses, but have always remained in their
                                own communities, although in many cases these
                                communities were only separated from each other by the
                                width of a street, with Protestants on one side of the
                                street and Catholics on the other, but never the twain
                                =ever met, even over a game of football.

                                It should be noted, however, that Irish Protestants
                                were in the forefront of the movement for a free and
                                independent Ireland. One of the earliest independence
                                leaders, Wolfe Tone, who was hanged by the British,
                                was Protestant, as was Sir Roger Casement, who tried
                                to do a deal with Germany during WWI; Casement had in
                                fact been knighted by the British government for
                                exposing the conditions of torture and slavery which
                                existed in what was then the Belgian Congo on the part
                                of the Belgian authorities.

                                I hope that this clears up any misunderstandings; I
                                did not want to write an essay of modern Irish
                                history, but there were some sthings which needed
                                setting straight.

                                So long and best of 73s to you, Forrest.

                                Ron Lahav
                                (ex WN4CJA)
                                Gosforth
                                Newcastle upon Tyne
                                England

                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 23 6:33 AM
                                  Hi Ron and List!

                                  I had thought that I was replying to Tina off list, but got surprised! But
                                  it is all to the good because Ron gave me some good information. Irish
                                  history (both Ireland and Northern Ireland) has always been as mysterious as
                                  Brittish Brick Walls. Ron if you have the time and wish to go into more
                                  detail please contact me off list and catch me up.

                                  Thanks!