RE: [Genealogy Research Club] New member with questions

  • sherry NC boncek
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 17, 2006
      Hi Carolyn
      You need to look at the Family Tree Maker box good, because I got the same
      thing for my birthday last year and it gave a free year on several of the
      ancestory.com sites. Look and see, you might get lucky. Advise for paying a
      fee to ancestrys.com, I wouldn't do it yet. They have allot of free stuff
      where you can look up on it. Gather that info first, get familiar with what
      you are doing and all about, then try it. I have been doing this for going
      on 4 years and love it, and I have taken the trial periods from ancestry.com
      but not paid for it yet. Doesn't mean I won't, but not right now. Have you
      tried the Mormon site yet? That's always a good source, it has the 1880
      census on it for free.
      Good Hunting,
      Sherry

      >From: "Carolyn Roberts" <croberts18@...>
      >To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] New member with questions
      >Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 00:45:29 -0000
      >
      >Hi,
      >I just found this Yahoo group today and joined.
      >
      >I started tracing my family tree (Cooper, Boothe, Coffman from state
      >of Virginia - Boothe from England) about 8 or 9 years ago. I
      >purchased Family Tree Maker with loads of CDs...but there was
      >nothing helpful on those CDs about any of our family members. I put
      >this away and kind of forgot about it.
      >
      >I've pulled the information back out and have been working on it
      >again for the past four months. I have acquired a lot more
      >information by talking to family members. So many more of them now
      >have email addresses...so we can keep in touch easier.
      >
      >Right now, I am at a loss as to how to trace our family back further.
      >
      >I notice there is a fee for Ancestry.com...I'm wondering how helpful
      >this site would be for me to pay and join.
      >
      >Carolyn

    • croberts
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 18, 2006
        Ron,
        Thanks for your offer...right now, I don't have the names of any of those who traveled to America to begin with...nor do I know the name of the person who went back to England to live later on.
        Carolyn

        Hello again Carolyn,

        Some other famous Boothes you might want to check out
        include Claire Boothe Luce, the late wife of the
        equally deceased founder of Life and Time magazines.
        Boothe was of course her name before she married, and
        writing under that name she wrote a play which was
        later made into a movie entitled 'The Women', which is
        an early comedy about professional women working in
        publishing; you might be able to find a DVD or video
        of it.

        If you can tell me what part of England your Boothes
        came from I might be able to help you. I am partially
        sighted and do not drive (neither does my wife - she
        can see; she just can't pass the driving test!), so my
        mobility is somewhat limited. However, I know how to
        find on-line genealogical and other info from English
        sources. I can personally find material related to the
        North East of England, i e, the cities of Newcastle
        upon Tyne and Durham, the counties of Durham,
        Northumberland (now Northumbria), Tyne and Wear,
        Teesside, and the North Riding of Yorkshire, as well
        as many other small towns and even villages (including
        some which have been swallowed up by larger units). If
        any of this sounds useful, or if you don't know where
        in England a particular community is located, please
        don't hesitate to call on me.

        Cordially,

        Ron Lahav
        Gosforth
        Newcastle upon Tyne
        England

        --- croberts <croberts18@...> wrote:

        > I've only been able to go back to 1863...when James
        > Edward Boothe was born in Roanoke, VA. and who
        > married Mary Elizabeth Shelton from Roanoke. So
        > far, I have not been able to get the link to
        > England. We're not sure which family member/s came
        > to the US and who stayed in England. I'm trying to
        > locate any family bibles that may have additional
        > info. I do know that James Boothe was friends with
        > someone else in Roanoke with the name of Booth
        > without the "e" attached...but no kin.
        >
        > I'm trying to figure out how to go back
        > further...where to look and how to do it.

        http://mail.yahoo.com

        Genealogy research Genealogy family tree Genealogy information

        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 18, 2006
          Do you know where in England they came from or
          returned to? It's a big place!

          Ron Lahav

          === message truncated ===

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • kawalla26
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 18, 2006
            Hi I find Ancestry.com to be very useful. I have been researching my
            family now for 11 years and have subscribed off & on.

            Sorry, I can't help with any Boothe's.

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Carolyn Roberts"
            <croberts18@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            > I just found this Yahoo group today and joined.
            >
            > I started tracing my family tree (Cooper, Boothe, Coffman from
            state
            > of Virginia - Boothe from England) about 8 or 9 years ago. I
            > purchased Family Tree Maker with loads of CDs...but there was
            > nothing helpful on those CDs about any of our family members. I
            put
            > this away and kind of forgot about it.
            >
            > I've pulled the information back out and have been working on it
            > again for the past four months. I have acquired a lot more
            > information by talking to family members. So many more of them now
            > have email addresses...so we can keep in touch easier.
            >
            > Right now, I am at a loss as to how to trace our family back
            further.

            > I notice there is a fee for Ancestry.com...I'm wondering how
            helpful
            > this site would be for me to pay and join.
            >
            > Carolyn

          • Kellie
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 18, 2006
              Hi Carolyn,

              I agree with one of the people here when it comes to
              ancestry.com. Do a free trial and make a decision for
              yourself. Some will tell you that it's an excellent
              site worth the money, and some will tell you it's too
              expensive. Everone has their own opinion.

              Personal experience is their have been times that I
              could just not use ancestry.com and been fine, and
              sometimes I wouldn't have been able to find a person
              with out the consolidated databases being in one spot
              and being able to read the record myself.

              Examples are:

              The same person being recorded in 2 different places
              in the same census year. This wouldn't be answered
              with the free 1880 census as it happened in 1910. (I
              think)

              Another one is that they put the birth places
              backwards. It should have read that the person that I
              was looking for was born in OR and the father was born
              in PA. They had the mother right though. But again,
              this didn't happen in 1880 and with out reading the
              record/census, I wouldn't have been able to find this
              out.(The person's brother was living with him and they
              got that right though...lol)

              The LDS site is good(I was born and raised LDS) and
              it's free, but it's not, in my opinion, as user
              friendly. The interface needs something to make it
              easier to navigate and read through. And the 1880
              census that they have...is a link to ancestry.com's
              site.

              The US GenWeb project is free and good too, they have
              things that nobody else has, like maybe you can't find
              a death record for someone, but a cemetery
              trascription has been done in the cemetery your
              ancester is buried in and it might give you the info
              because the family had it put on the head stone. I
              have found children that I wouldn't have found other
              wise through this avenue also.(You can also find that
              your ancesters established it's own cemetery that is
              even named after them too.)

              Well...this crab came out it shell and posted instead
              of just read or a private off list reply, for a
              change...lol

              Kellie

              --- genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com wrote:

              > There are 12 messages in this issue.
              >
              > Topics in this digest:
              >
              > 1. New member with questions
              > From: "Carolyn Roberts"
              > <croberts18@...>

              > Message: 1
              > Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 00:45:29 -0000
              > From: "Carolyn Roberts" <croberts18@...>
              > Subject: New member with questions
              >
              > Hi,
              > I just found this Yahoo group today and joined.
              >
              > I started tracing my family tree (Cooper, Boothe,
              > Coffman from state
              > of Virginia - Boothe from England) about 8 or 9
              > years ago. I
              > purchased Family Tree Maker with loads of CDs...but
              > there was
              > nothing helpful on those CDs about any of our family
              > members. I put
              > this away and kind of forgot about it.
              >
              > I've pulled the information back out and have been
              > working on it
              > again for the past four months. I have acquired a
              > lot more
              > information by talking to family members. So many
              > more of them now
              > have email addresses...so we can keep in touch
              > easier.
              >
              > Right now, I am at a loss as to how to trace our
              > family back further.
              >
              > I notice there is a fee for Ancestry.com...I'm
              > wondering how helpful
              > this site would be for me to pay and join.
              >
              > Carolyn
            • Brandia Ta'amu
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 18, 2006
                Thank-You...good information

                Ron Lahav <shmendrik1812@...> wrote: Hello Brandia,

                The Boothe family is quite well known in Virginia,
                mostly around the Tidewater ares (Norfolk etc). During
                the 1950s and 1960s there was a prominent Virginia
                politician named Armistead Boothe, Jr.

                Also, you might want to check out the family of the
                American writer, politician, and diplomat Claire
                Boothe Luce. She was married (as her second marriage)
                to Henry Luce, who founded Life and Time magazines.
                She was one of the most important Republican woman
                politicians from the 1950s to the 1970s, and she also
                served as President Eisenhower's Ambassador to Italy,
                where she was instrumental in keeping the Communists
                from coming to power. Before she married Luce she was
                a writer, and wrote a very funny and very brittle play
                about professional women in the publishing industry
                called 'The Women'. Ir was later made into at least
                one movie, and you should be able to find a DVD or
                video of one of these films. A biography of her should
                give details about her parents, wjhere she was born,
                etc.

                Hopw this helps.

                Ron Lahav
                Gosforth
                Newcastle upon Tybe
                England

              • Forrest Plumstead
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 20, 2006
                  Hi Carolyn!

                  Save your money! Goto www.familysearch.org Locate the closest Family History
                  Center to you. Find out if they have an internet connection. If so you can
                  use thier computer to search ancestry.com. While it is useful it is not
                  infalable. I personally would not fork over $200.00 per year. I don't think
                  you get full value at that price.

                  Forrest Plumstead fplum1@...
                  Researching the following Surnames:
                  Plumstead and Associated Families:

                  > I just found this Yahoo group today and joined.
                  >
                  > I started tracing my family tree (Cooper, Boothe, Coffman from state
                  > of Virginia - Boothe from England) about 8 or 9 years ago. I
                  > purchased Family Tree Maker with loads of CDs...but there was
                  > nothing helpful on those CDs about any of our family members. I put
                  > this away and kind of forgot about it.
                  >
                  > I've pulled the information back out and have been working on it
                  > again for the past four months. I have acquired a lot more
                  > information by talking to family members. So many more of them now
                  > have email addresses...so we can keep in touch easier.
                  >
                  > Right now, I am at a loss as to how to trace our family back further.
                  >
                  > I notice there is a fee for Ancestry.com...I'm wondering how helpful
                  > this site would be for me to pay and join.
                  >
                  > Carolyn

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Tina Stedman
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 20, 2006
                    I would have to agree with Forrest except for one thing, if you have
                    small children at home. I started with using the libraries and my FHL
                    first to get aquainted with ancestry.com and to see if I would find
                    actual information on my family. When I was able to find quite a bit,
                    I subscribe to ancestry.com because it was easier to use it at home
                    with 3 kids. Now my kids are getting older, my youngest will be
                    starting Kindergarten next year and I will have more time to devote to
                    Libraries by myself.

                    My suggestion is to try using it at the libraries first so you can see
                    what they have and what is offered before purchasing. Also
                    ancestry.com does offer a lot of ads for a free two week session just
                    be sure to cancel before your two weeks is up or you will be charged.

                    There are a lot of sites out there with free information. You just
                    have to be patient and search for them. Also a membership in a local
                    genealogical society will often cost around $20 for the year and most
                    of the time it will include free access from home to HeritageQuest and
                    other databases.

                    Good luck.

                    Tina

                    --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Forrest Plumstead"
                    <fplum1@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Carolyn!
                    >
                    > Save your money! Goto www.familysearch.org Locate the closest Family
                    History
                    > Center to you. Find out if they have an internet connection. If so
                    you can
                    > use thier computer to search ancestry.com. While it is useful it is not
                    > infalable. I personally would not fork over $200.00 per year. I
                    don't think
                    > you get full value at that price.
                    >
                    > Forrest Plumstead fplum1@...
                    > Researching the following Surnames:
                    > Bushouse, Plumstead, Risser, Schroeder, Senne, Thayer,
                    > Quaker Families: Coppock, Heald, Hobson, Hollingsworth, Potts, Ross,
                    Watt