Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Ancesters in the North East of England

  • Ron Lahav
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 11, 2006
      Hi Ryan,

      I am afraid that I can't be much help to you. Ringley
      is or was apparently a village somewhere in England,
      but over the centuries many of these villages have
      either been swallowed up by larger communities (where
      they might continue to exist as the name of a
      neighbourhood or parish) or else they may have
      disappeared completely. I would need to have more
      details from you, particularly the county in which it
      was located, the region of England, or the nearest
      large city or town.

      Sorery I can't be of more help.

      Ron Lahav
      Gosforth
      Newcastle upon Tyne
      England

      --- ryan evans <rke20032003@...> wrote:

      > how close to ringley england are you?
      =

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Ron Lahav
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 12, 2006
        Not unless you can be more specific - England is a
        big place and I need more geographic details.

        --- Wouter Hobé <wallyboer@...> wrote:

        > Originally my ancesters come from Normandy and due
        > to the uprisings there (Huguenots)moved all over the
        > place and I also believe England. Can you find any
        > contact in England for a Hobé family?
        > I would really appreciate it.
        > shmendrik1812 <shmendrik1812@...> wrote: If
        > any members in the US and/or Canada are interested
        > in tracing
        > ancestors originally from the North East of England
        > I would be pleased
        > to help insofar as I can; I am partly sighted and do
        > not drive, but I
        > will do whatever I can.
        >
        > The areas which I can probably help involve the
        > cities of Newcastle
        > upon Tyne, Gateshead, Sunderland, Middlesborough,
        > and Durham, the towns
        > of Gosforth (now part of Newcastle), Morpeth,
        > Alnwick, North Shields,
        > South Shields, Whitley Bay, Ashington, and
        > Washington (County Durham,
        > not anywhere in the USA - this is the original home
        > of the Washington
        > family), and Northumberland (now Northumbria) and
        > County Durham.
        >
        > Let me know if you think I can be of assistance,
        > although with my wife
        > likewise being unable to drive I am dependent upon
        > public transport to
        > get around.
        >
        > Ron Lahav
        > Gosforth
        > Newcastle upon Tyne
        > England
        >

        > Searching for your ancestry? You'll find great help
        > at Ancestry.Com

        > to:

        > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
        >

        > ---------------------------------

        > removed]

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • JOHN SEYMOUR
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 12, 2006
          Hi all this may be the Ringley you are after you can access the site through the following web site http://www.ukvillages.com/ukvillages.nsf/villages/Ringley-Lancashire?open&body=villagebody&root=villagebody as you will see it is a suburb of Bolton in Lancashire

          Hope this helps

          John Seymour
[...]

          Genealogy research Genealogy family tree Genealogy information

        • Ron Lahav
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 13, 2006
            Hello and thanks,

            I very much appreciate your sending me the ukvillages
            url as I had lost it. I will pass this information on
            to the original questioner, Ryan Evans. BTW, are you
            also in the uK?

            Ron Lahav
            Gosforth
            Newcastle upon Tyne
            England

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • ryan evans
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 13, 2006
              no iam in the U.S. BUT My girlfriends family on her dads side is ringley from ringley england

              Ron Lahav <shmendrik1812@...> wrote: Hello and thanks,

              http://mail.yahoo.com

            • JOHN SEYMOUR
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 14, 2006
                You are welcome

                Yes I am in the UK about seven miles from you in New Hartley, small world , is it not?

                I live in sheltered housing and am a young 73 going on 74. I am Vice CHair of the local community association and run the Computer suite.

                Give me a ring some me some time on 0191 2374900. if i am out and about leave a message ann i willget back to you.

                BCNU

                Regards

                John Seymour

                http://mail.yahoo.com

              • Ron Lahav
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 14, 2006
                  Thanks for your kind offer - we have taken you up on
                  it and left a message for you on your Answer-Phone.

                  I am 64 (65 on Hallowe'en!) and Kath, my wife, will be
                  60 in August. We live in leasehold flats for retired
                  persons (minimum age over 60) operated by Peverel and
                  built by McCarthy & Stone.

                  Best wishes,

                  Ron Lahav

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Ron Lahav
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 14, 2006
                    Hello Ryan,

                    Thanks for getting back to me. I am originally from
                    the US myself (Virginia, but I did my BA in DC, my EdD
                    in Indiana, and I taught in Louisiana and Alabama). I
                    have been away from the US for some 35 years - 13
                    years in Israel and 22 years in the UK.

                    I am pleased to inform you that i have found out some
                    additional information about Ringley. It is as I
                    thought a former village which has been incorporated
                    as a neighbourhgood into a larger town, in this case
                    Bolton. Bolton is about five miles from Manchester and
                    is in the North West of England about 175 miles NW of
                    London. It is also about 110 miles WSW of Newcastle.
                    Unfortunately as I said I am partly sighted and can't
                    drive down there. Bolton is an old textile mill town
                    and was one of the centres of the Lancashire cotton
                    trade, but that is long gone and today Bolton
                    resembles nothing so much as some of the old mill
                    towns in the US such as Lawrence, MA.

                    Where do you live in the US? I hope this info was
                    helpful. If you would like further details regarding
                    Bolton and Ringley, please let me know.

                    Cordially,

                    === message truncated ===

                    http://mail.yahoo.com