Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Ancesters in the North East of England

  • Ron Lahav
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 11 9:37 AM
      Hi Ryan,

      I am afraid that I can't be much help to you. Ringley
      is or was apparently a village somewhere in England,
      but over the centuries many of these villages have
      either been swallowed up by larger communities (where
      they might continue to exist as the name of a
      neighbourhood or parish) or else they may have
      disappeared completely. I would need to have more
      details from you, particularly the county in which it
      was located, the region of England, or the nearest
      large city or town.

      Sorery I can't be of more help.

      Ron Lahav
      Gosforth
      Newcastle upon Tyne
      England

      --- ryan evans <rke20032003@...> wrote:

      > how close to ringley england are you?
      =

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • WouterHobé
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 11 12:50 PM
        Originally my ancesters come from Normandy and due to the uprisings there (Huguenots)moved all over the place and I also believe England. Can you find any contact in England for a Hobé family?
        I would really appreciate it.
        shmendrik1812 <shmendrik1812@...> wrote: If any members in the US and/or Canada are interested in tracing
        ancestors originally from the North East of England I would be pleased
        to help insofar as I can; I am partly sighted and do not drive, but I
        will do whatever I can.

        The areas which I can probably help involve the cities of Newcastle
        upon Tyne, Gateshead, Sunderland, Middlesborough, and Durham, the towns
        of Gosforth (now part of Newcastle), Morpeth, Alnwick, North Shields,
        South Shields, Whitley Bay, Ashington, and Washington (County Durham,
        not anywhere in the USA - this is the original home of the Washington
        family), and Northumberland (now Northumbria) and County Durham.

        Let me know if you think I can be of assistance, although with my wife
        likewise being unable to drive I am dependent upon public transport to
        get around.

        Ron Lahav
        Gosforth
        Newcastle upon Tyne
        England

      • Ron Lahav
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 12 7:02 AM
          Not unless you can be more specific - England is a
          big place and I need more geographic details.

          --- Wouter Hobé <wallyboer@...> wrote:

          > Originally my ancesters come from Normandy and due
          > to the uprisings there (Huguenots)moved all over the
          > place and I also believe England. Can you find any
          > contact in England for a Hobé family?
          > I would really appreciate it.
          > shmendrik1812 <shmendrik1812@...> wrote: If
          > any members in the US and/or Canada are interested
          > in tracing
          > ancestors originally from the North East of England
          > I would be pleased
          > to help insofar as I can; I am partly sighted and do
          > not drive, but I
          > will do whatever I can.
          >
          > The areas which I can probably help involve the
          > cities of Newcastle
          > upon Tyne, Gateshead, Sunderland, Middlesborough,
          > and Durham, the towns
          > of Gosforth (now part of Newcastle), Morpeth,
          > Alnwick, North Shields,
          > South Shields, Whitley Bay, Ashington, and
          > Washington (County Durham,
          > not anywhere in the USA - this is the original home
          > of the Washington
          > family), and Northumberland (now Northumbria) and
          > County Durham.
          >
          > Let me know if you think I can be of assistance,
          > although with my wife
          > likewise being unable to drive I am dependent upon
          > public transport to
          > get around.
          >
          > Ron Lahav
          > Gosforth
          > Newcastle upon Tyne
          > England
          >

          > Searching for your ancestry? You'll find great help
          > at Ancestry.Com

          > to:

          > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
          >

          > ---------------------------------

          > removed]

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • JOHN SEYMOUR
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 12 1:19 PM
            Hi all this may be the Ringley you are after you can access the site through the following web site http://www.ukvillages.com/ukvillages.nsf/villages/Ringley-Lancashire?open&body=villagebody&root=villagebody as you will see it is a suburb of Bolton in Lancashire

            Hope this helps

            John Seymour
[...]

            Genealogy research Genealogy family tree Genealogy information

          • Ron Lahav
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 13 3:42 AM
              Hello and thanks,

              I very much appreciate your sending me the ukvillages
              url as I had lost it. I will pass this information on
              to the original questioner, Ryan Evans. BTW, are you
              also in the uK?

              Ron Lahav
              Gosforth
              Newcastle upon Tyne
              England

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • ryan evans
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 13 9:30 PM
                no iam in the U.S. BUT My girlfriends family on her dads side is ringley from ringley england

                Ron Lahav <shmendrik1812@...> wrote: Hello and thanks,

                http://mail.yahoo.com

              • JOHN SEYMOUR
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 14 5:01 AM
                  You are welcome

                  Yes I am in the UK about seven miles from you in New Hartley, small world , is it not?

                  I live in sheltered housing and am a young 73 going on 74. I am Vice CHair of the local community association and run the Computer suite.

                  Give me a ring some me some time on 0191 2374900. if i am out and about leave a message ann i willget back to you.

                  BCNU

                  Regards

                  John Seymour

                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                • Ron Lahav
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 14 8:23 AM
                    Thanks for your kind offer - we have taken you up on
                    it and left a message for you on your Answer-Phone.

                    I am 64 (65 on Hallowe'en!) and Kath, my wife, will be
                    60 in August. We live in leasehold flats for retired
                    persons (minimum age over 60) operated by Peverel and
                    built by McCarthy & Stone.

                    Best wishes,

                    Ron Lahav

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Ron Lahav
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 14 8:34 AM
                      Hello Ryan,

                      Thanks for getting back to me. I am originally from
                      the US myself (Virginia, but I did my BA in DC, my EdD
                      in Indiana, and I taught in Louisiana and Alabama). I
                      have been away from the US for some 35 years - 13
                      years in Israel and 22 years in the UK.

                      I am pleased to inform you that i have found out some
                      additional information about Ringley. It is as I
                      thought a former village which has been incorporated
                      as a neighbourhgood into a larger town, in this case
                      Bolton. Bolton is about five miles from Manchester and
                      is in the North West of England about 175 miles NW of
                      London. It is also about 110 miles WSW of Newcastle.
                      Unfortunately as I said I am partly sighted and can't
                      drive down there. Bolton is an old textile mill town
                      and was one of the centres of the Lancashire cotton
                      trade, but that is long gone and today Bolton
                      resembles nothing so much as some of the old mill
                      towns in the US such as Lawrence, MA.

                      Where do you live in the US? I hope this info was
                      helpful. If you would like further details regarding
                      Bolton and Ringley, please let me know.

                      Cordially,

                      === message truncated ===

                      http://mail.yahoo.com