Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Ancesters in the North East of England

  • Sally Ratliff
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 10, 2006
      Hi Ron -

      Thanks for your kind offer!! Let me know if this is not close to your area.

      I am researching my "TATE" ancestors. I'm at a brick wall with my ggggrandfather, here's what I know:

      John A. Tate b. 1803 (England, unknown location), d. 4 OCT 1806 (Castleton, IN, USA). He arrived in US in 1832 (Whitehaven - Liverpool to Philadelphia)

      What I'm needing is to have a christening recorded searched from Kirkoswald, Cumberland. It's for a John Tate who was christened on 01 MAY 1802. Wondering if this could be my John??? I'd like to find out his date of birth & parents names & any info available as to their home address.

      Thanks for any assistance you might provide.!!

      shmendrik1812 <shmendrik1812@...> wrote:
      If any members in the US and/or Canada are interested in tracing
      ancestors originally from the North East of England I would be pleased
      to help insofar as I can; I am partly sighted and do not drive, but I
      will do whatever I can.

      The areas which I can probably help involve the cities of Newcastle
      upon Tyne, Gateshead, Sunderland, Middlesborough, and Durham, the towns
      of Gosforth (now part of Newcastle), Morpeth, Alnwick, North Shields,
      South Shields, Whitley Bay, Ashington, and Washington (County Durham,
      not anywhere in the USA - this is the original home of the Washington
      family), and Northumberland (now Northumbria) and County Durham.

      Let me know if you think I can be of assistance, although with my wife
      likewise being unable to drive I am dependent upon public transport to
      get around.

      Ron Lahav
      Gosforth
      Newcastle upon Tyne
      England

      Sally Ratliff

      13021 Duval Drive
      Fishers, IN. 46038

      317-716-5391 (cell)
      317-842-0843 (home)
      Srat303@...

    • Ron Lahav
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 11, 2006
        Hi Ryan,

        I am afraid that I can't be much help to you. Ringley
        is or was apparently a village somewhere in England,
        but over the centuries many of these villages have
        either been swallowed up by larger communities (where
        they might continue to exist as the name of a
        neighbourhood or parish) or else they may have
        disappeared completely. I would need to have more
        details from you, particularly the county in which it
        was located, the region of England, or the nearest
        large city or town.

        Sorery I can't be of more help.

        Ron Lahav
        Gosforth
        Newcastle upon Tyne
        England

        --- ryan evans <rke20032003@...> wrote:

        > how close to ringley england are you?
        =

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • WouterHobé

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 12, 2006
            Not unless you can be more specific - England is a
            big place and I need more geographic details.

            --- Wouter Hobé <wallyboer@...> wrote:

            > Originally my ancesters come from Normandy and due
            > to the uprisings there (Huguenots)moved all over the
            > place and I also believe England. Can you find any
            > contact in England for a Hobé family?
            > I would really appreciate it.
            > shmendrik1812 <shmendrik1812@...> wrote: If
            > any members in the US and/or Canada are interested
            > in tracing
            > ancestors originally from the North East of England
            > I would be pleased
            > to help insofar as I can; I am partly sighted and do
            > not drive, but I
            > will do whatever I can.
            >
            > The areas which I can probably help involve the
            > cities of Newcastle
            > upon Tyne, Gateshead, Sunderland, Middlesborough,
            > and Durham, the towns
            > of Gosforth (now part of Newcastle), Morpeth,
            > Alnwick, North Shields,
            > South Shields, Whitley Bay, Ashington, and
            > Washington (County Durham,
            > not anywhere in the USA - this is the original home
            > of the Washington
            > family), and Northumberland (now Northumbria) and
            > County Durham.
            >
            > Let me know if you think I can be of assistance,
            > although with my wife
            > likewise being unable to drive I am dependent upon
            > public transport to
            > get around.
            >
            > Ron Lahav
            > Gosforth
            > Newcastle upon Tyne
            > England
            >

            > Searching for your ancestry? You'll find great help
            > at Ancestry.Com

            > to:

            > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
            >

            > ---------------------------------

            > removed]

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • JOHN SEYMOUR
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 12, 2006
              Hi all this may be the Ringley you are after you can access the site through the following web site http://www.ukvillages.com/ukvillages.nsf/villages/Ringley-Lancashire?open&body=villagebody&root=villagebody as you will see it is a suburb of Bolton in Lancashire

              Hope this helps

              John Seymour
[...]

              Genealogy research Genealogy family tree Genealogy information

            • Ron Lahav
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 13, 2006
                Hello and thanks,

                I very much appreciate your sending me the ukvillages
                url as I had lost it. I will pass this information on
                to the original questioner, Ryan Evans. BTW, are you
                also in the uK?

                Ron Lahav
                Gosforth
                Newcastle upon Tyne
                England

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • ryan evans
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 13, 2006
                  no iam in the U.S. BUT My girlfriends family on her dads side is ringley from ringley england

                  Ron Lahav <shmendrik1812@...> wrote: Hello and thanks,

                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                • JOHN SEYMOUR
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 14, 2006
                    You are welcome

                    Yes I am in the UK about seven miles from you in New Hartley, small world , is it not?

                    I live in sheltered housing and am a young 73 going on 74. I am Vice CHair of the local community association and run the Computer suite.

                    Give me a ring some me some time on 0191 2374900. if i am out and about leave a message ann i willget back to you.

                    BCNU

                    Regards

                    John Seymour

                    http://mail.yahoo.com

                  • Ron Lahav
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 14, 2006
                      Thanks for your kind offer - we have taken you up on
                      it and left a message for you on your Answer-Phone.

                      I am 64 (65 on Hallowe'en!) and Kath, my wife, will be
                      60 in August. We live in leasehold flats for retired
                      persons (minimum age over 60) operated by Peverel and
                      built by McCarthy & Stone.

                      Best wishes,

                      Ron Lahav

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Ron Lahav
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 14, 2006
                        Hello Ryan,

                        Thanks for getting back to me. I am originally from
                        the US myself (Virginia, but I did my BA in DC, my EdD
                        in Indiana, and I taught in Louisiana and Alabama). I
                        have been away from the US for some 35 years - 13
                        years in Israel and 22 years in the UK.

                        I am pleased to inform you that i have found out some
                        additional information about Ringley. It is as I
                        thought a former village which has been incorporated
                        as a neighbourhgood into a larger town, in this case
                        Bolton. Bolton is about five miles from Manchester and
                        is in the North West of England about 175 miles NW of
                        London. It is also about 110 miles WSW of Newcastle.
                        Unfortunately as I said I am partly sighted and can't
                        drive down there. Bolton is an old textile mill town
                        and was one of the centres of the Lancashire cotton
                        trade, but that is long gone and today Bolton
                        resembles nothing so much as some of the old mill
                        towns in the US such as Lawrence, MA.

                        Where do you live in the US? I hope this info was
                        helpful. If you would like further details regarding
                        Bolton and Ringley, please let me know.

                        Cordially,

                        === message truncated ===

                        http://mail.yahoo.com