Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Ancesters in the North East of England

  • ryan evans
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 10, 2006
      how close to ringley england are you?

      shmendrik1812 <shmendrik1812@...> wrote: If any members in the US and/or Canada are interested in tracing
      ancestors originally from the North East of England I would be pleased
      to help insofar as I can; I am partly sighted and do not drive, but I
      will do whatever I can.

      The areas which I can probably help involve the cities of Newcastle
      upon Tyne, Gateshead, Sunderland, Middlesborough, and Durham, the towns
      of Gosforth (now part of Newcastle), Morpeth, Alnwick, North Shields,
      South Shields, Whitley Bay, Ashington, and Washington (County Durham,
      not anywhere in the USA - this is the original home of the Washington
      family), and Northumberland (now Northumbria) and County Durham.

      Let me know if you think I can be of assistance, although with my wife
      likewise being unable to drive I am dependent upon public transport to
      get around.

      Ron Lahav
      Gosforth
      Newcastle upon Tyne
      England

    • Sally Ratliff
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 10, 2006
        Hi Ron -

        Thanks for your kind offer!! Let me know if this is not close to your area.

        I am researching my "TATE" ancestors. I'm at a brick wall with my ggggrandfather, here's what I know:

        John A. Tate b. 1803 (England, unknown location), d. 4 OCT 1806 (Castleton, IN, USA). He arrived in US in 1832 (Whitehaven - Liverpool to Philadelphia)

        What I'm needing is to have a christening recorded searched from Kirkoswald, Cumberland. It's for a John Tate who was christened on 01 MAY 1802. Wondering if this could be my John??? I'd like to find out his date of birth & parents names & any info available as to their home address.

        Thanks for any assistance you might provide.!!

[...]

        13021 Duval Drive
        Fishers, IN. 46038

        317-716-5391 (cell)
        317-842-0843 (home)
        Srat303@...

      • Ron Lahav
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 11, 2006
          Hi Ryan,

          I am afraid that I can't be much help to you. Ringley
          is or was apparently a village somewhere in England,
          but over the centuries many of these villages have
          either been swallowed up by larger communities (where
          they might continue to exist as the name of a
          neighbourhood or parish) or else they may have
          disappeared completely. I would need to have more
          details from you, particularly the county in which it
          was located, the region of England, or the nearest
          large city or town.

          Sorery I can't be of more help.

          Ron Lahav
          Gosforth
          Newcastle upon Tyne
          England

          --- ryan evans <rke20032003@...> wrote:

          > how close to ringley england are you?
          =

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • WouterHobé

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 12, 2006
              Not unless you can be more specific - England is a
              big place and I need more geographic details.

              --- Wouter Hobé <wallyboer@...> wrote:

              > Originally my ancesters come from Normandy and due
              > to the uprisings there (Huguenots)moved all over the
              > place and I also believe England. Can you find any
              > contact in England for a Hobé family?
              > I would really appreciate it.
              > shmendrik1812 <shmendrik1812@...> wrote: If
              > any members in the US and/or Canada are interested
              > in tracing
              > ancestors originally from the North East of England
              > I would be pleased
              > to help insofar as I can; I am partly sighted and do
              > not drive, but I
              > will do whatever I can.
              >
              > The areas which I can probably help involve the
              > cities of Newcastle
              > upon Tyne, Gateshead, Sunderland, Middlesborough,
              > and Durham, the towns
              > of Gosforth (now part of Newcastle), Morpeth,
              > Alnwick, North Shields,
              > South Shields, Whitley Bay, Ashington, and
              > Washington (County Durham,
              > not anywhere in the USA - this is the original home
              > of the Washington
              > family), and Northumberland (now Northumbria) and
              > County Durham.
              >
              > Let me know if you think I can be of assistance,
              > although with my wife
              > likewise being unable to drive I am dependent upon
              > public transport to
              > get around.
              >
              > Ron Lahav
              > Gosforth
              > Newcastle upon Tyne
              > England
              >

              > Searching for your ancestry? You'll find great help
              > at Ancestry.Com

              > to:

              > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
              >

              > ---------------------------------

              > removed]

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • JOHN SEYMOUR
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 12, 2006
                Hi all this may be the Ringley you are after you can access the site through the following web site http://www.ukvillages.com/ukvillages.nsf/villages/Ringley-Lancashire?open&body=villagebody&root=villagebody as you will see it is a suburb of Bolton in Lancashire

                Hope this helps

                John Seymour
[...]

                Genealogy research Genealogy family tree Genealogy information

              • Ron Lahav
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 13, 2006
                  Hello and thanks,

                  I very much appreciate your sending me the ukvillages
                  url as I had lost it. I will pass this information on
                  to the original questioner, Ryan Evans. BTW, are you
                  also in the uK?

                  Ron Lahav
                  Gosforth
                  Newcastle upon Tyne
                  England

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • ryan evans
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 13, 2006
                    no iam in the U.S. BUT My girlfriends family on her dads side is ringley from ringley england

                    Ron Lahav <shmendrik1812@...> wrote: Hello and thanks,

                    http://mail.yahoo.com

                  • JOHN SEYMOUR
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 14, 2006
                      You are welcome

                      Yes I am in the UK about seven miles from you in New Hartley, small world , is it not?

                      I live in sheltered housing and am a young 73 going on 74. I am Vice CHair of the local community association and run the Computer suite.

                      Give me a ring some me some time on 0191 2374900. if i am out and about leave a message ann i willget back to you.

                      BCNU

                      Regards

                      John Seymour

                      http://mail.yahoo.com

                    • Ron Lahav
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 14, 2006
                        Thanks for your kind offer - we have taken you up on
                        it and left a message for you on your Answer-Phone.

                        I am 64 (65 on Hallowe'en!) and Kath, my wife, will be
                        60 in August. We live in leasehold flats for retired
                        persons (minimum age over 60) operated by Peverel and
                        built by McCarthy & Stone.

                        Best wishes,

                        Ron Lahav

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Ron Lahav
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 14, 2006
                          Hello Ryan,

                          Thanks for getting back to me. I am originally from
                          the US myself (Virginia, but I did my BA in DC, my EdD
                          in Indiana, and I taught in Louisiana and Alabama). I
                          have been away from the US for some 35 years - 13
                          years in Israel and 22 years in the UK.

                          I am pleased to inform you that i have found out some
                          additional information about Ringley. It is as I
                          thought a former village which has been incorporated
                          as a neighbourhgood into a larger town, in this case
                          Bolton. Bolton is about five miles from Manchester and
                          is in the North West of England about 175 miles NW of
                          London. It is also about 110 miles WSW of Newcastle.
                          Unfortunately as I said I am partly sighted and can't
                          drive down there. Bolton is an old textile mill town
                          and was one of the centres of the Lancashire cotton
                          trade, but that is long gone and today Bolton
                          resembles nothing so much as some of the old mill
                          towns in the US such as Lawrence, MA.

                          Where do you live in the US? I hope this info was
                          helpful. If you would like further details regarding
                          Bolton and Ringley, please let me know.

                          Cordially,

                          === message truncated ===

                          http://mail.yahoo.com