Re: [Genealogy Research Club] My Gregoire Search...

  • Ron Lahav
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2006
      Hello Stephanie,

      Although I do not know anything specifically about
      your family, and in fact my interests lie in Eastern
      European Jewish family history,I might be able to
      confirm that your ancestor Ephrem may indeed have come
      from Canada, particularly since they seem to have
      lived in the Dakotas. During the 1870s and 1880s there
      was a series of protests, almost an actual revolt, in
      fact, on the part of the Métis in Canada. They were
      the descendants of the original French Coureurs du
      Bois, or Couriers of the Forest, who were explorers
      who penetrated into what is now central Canada from
      Québec during the 18th and early 19th Centuries. They
      married Native American women, and their children
      tended to marry each other. These children were known
      as the Métis, and as I said they actually organized an
      armed revolt in Manitoba and western Ontario. The
      first task of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, the
      Mounties, was in fact to suppress this revolt, which
      they did with great force and brutality. Many Métis
      and their families were killed, and several hundred
      survivors fled south into the contiguous parts of the
      US, where they settled in the Dakotas. You can look up
      the Métis on Wikipedia, and also do a Google! Search
      on them as well. It sounds as if Ephrem and in fact
      his wife's people himself were part of this Méti
      exodus.

      Hope this helps.

      Ron Lahav
      Gosforth