Newbie needs help

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 17, 2006
      My ancestors came to Illinois from the east coast and may have
      traveled through the Appalachian area. I have good information from
      the time they came to Illinois to the present. I am looking for
      information on the time prior to that.

      William Wesley Russell b.10/03/1858 in Russellville KY d. 1/25/1932
      (I believe in Illinois)
      He is my great grandfather - a farmer and circuit riding Babtist
      preacher
      Married (02/02/1877) to Mary Alice Sprouse b.01/01/1862 Decatur IL
      d.1/12/1942
      10 children (I have the names and some birth dates)
      I can trace this family down to the present
      He came to Illinois in a covered wagon - no date known
      His father was named William, his mother Emilia(?) (no known maiden
      name) both born in Kentucky
      I would like to trace his family back further - suspect a connection
      to the Kentucky/Tennessee/Virginia area.

      George Byars b. 08/15/1771 in Virginia d. 05/11/1843 married (date
      unknown)
      to Rebecca Sims No b/d dates
      Son (William Payton Byars) was born in Virginia (1792) died in
      Illinois (1873)
      William Payton's children were born in Virginia until 1824 - the
      next child was born (1828) in Illinois, leaving me to assume a move
      sometime between 1824 and 1828 to Illinois.

      These two families were combined by the marriage of my maternal
      grandmother (Carolyn Ellen Russell) and grandfather (Ira Byars). I
      can trace this family through to the present.

      The Shelton name is my father's family. I have information tracing
      this family back to 1610 - Jamestown (Sir James Shelton). His
      father was Sir Ralph Shelton, mother was Jane West or( Dorothy
      Jermyn - I find no info on her). Jane West's nephew was Thomas
      West, 3rd Baron De La Warr who came to Jamestown with James
      Shelton. Thomas was made governor of Jamestown for a year or so.
      The state of Delaware is named for him.

      I have the following male lineage names with some birth dates and
      places:

      Sir Ralph Shelton
      James Shelton
      Thomas Shelton
      James Shelton
      John Shelton
      William Shelton
      Samuel Shelton
      Samuel Shelton
      Samuel Waddy Shelton
      David R. Shelton
      Samuel T. Shelton
      James Mason Shelton
      Clark Charles Shelton (My grandfather)

      What I need is information about the time prior to their moves to
      Illinois . Any help will be much appreciated. Let me know if you
      need more information - I do have much more

      Carol in Orland Park IL
    • Tammy Jernigan
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 19, 2006
        Hi,
        I could not find nothing on except that his mothers name might have been Emily Jane Carr. But I did find this on George Byars.

        Name: George Byars
        Sex: M
        Birth: 15 AUG 1771 in Louisa Co. VA
        Death: 11 MAY 1843 in Smyth Co. VA INFORMATION ON FATHER

        Name: John Byars
        Sex: M
        Birth: 16 MAR 1734
        Death: UNKNOWN in Louisa Co. VA
        Father: James Henry BYARS b: 1713 in Orange Co. VA
        Mother: Peggy Gentry b: ABT 1715 in VA INFORMATION ON MOTHER

        Name: Elizabeth Thomason
        Sex: F
        Birth: ABT 1740
        Death: 12 OCT 1823 in Washington Co. VA INFORMATION ON SPOUSE 1

        Name: Rebecca Sims
        Sex: F
        Birth: ABT 1775 in Louisa Co. VA
        Death: UNKNOWN Children

        Fleming Byars b: ABT 1795 in Louisa Co. VA
        Thomas Byars b: ABT 1800 in Louisa Co. VA
        INFORMATION ON SPOUSE 2

        Name: Sarah Watkins
        Sex: F
        Birth: 1794
        Death: 22 AUG 1869 in Smyth Co. VA Married: 8 SEP 1814 in Washington Co. KY
        Children

        George Byars b: 1818 in Washington Co. VA
        Elizabeth Louisa Byars b: 1819 in Washington Co. VA
        Sarah Ann Byars b: ABT 1820 in Washington Co. VA
        Mary Jane Byars b: 19 SEP 1821 in Washington Co. VA
        Susannah S. Byars b: ABT 1823 in Washington Co. VA
        Cassandra Byars b: 5 AUG 1826 in Washington Co. VA
        James Flemming Byars b: ABT 1831 in Washington Co. VA
        Claiborn M. Byars b: 1834 in Smyth Co. VA
        GOING FURTHER BACK ON FATHER

        Name: John Byars
        Sex: M
        Birth: 16 MAR 1734
        Death: UNKNOWN in Louisa Co. VA INFORMATION ON FATHER

        Name: James Henry BYARS
        Sex: M
        Birth: 1713 in Orange Co. VA
        Death: 1792 in Louisa Co. VA
        Father: John BYARS b: ABT 1690 in New Kent Co. VA
        Name: John BYARS 1
        Sex: M
        Birth: ABT 1690 in New Kent Co. VA
        Death: AFT 1734 in Louisa Co. VA
        Mother: Elizabeth GLEN b: ABT 1694 in New Kent Co. VA

        Name: Elizabeth GLEN
        Sex: F
        Birth: ABT 1694 in New Kent Co. VA
        Death: UNKNOWN