RE: [Genealogy Research Club] I'm going to Salt Lake City in April...any hints?

  • Clark & Rita Pederson
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 10, 2006
      Dear Hockeymom:

      Before going to Salt Lake City several years ago we spent many hours on the
      http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp website
      identifying books and microfilms that we were interested in checking. We
      used the "Place Search" link and entered county names to see what records
      they had available for that county. When you locate a resource be sure to
      click on "View Film Notes", this gives the call number you need and library
      location for that book or microfilm. We copied the information in a word
      document (call numbers, title, description, book or microfilm, floor
      location in library) and sorted the information by state or country. To
      each item we added the name and vital date information for the ancestor we
      anticipated finding in the record. We then put this information in a
      notebook with tabs for family names we were searching. We spent no time in
      Salt Lake looking up resources in the online catalogs. All of our time was
      spent researching sources we had already identified.

      I concentrated on the books-community histories, land plat books, and
      Norwegian farm books since these are not available by loan unless they have
      been microfilmed. We also concentrated on microfilms where we weren't sure
      if or where our ancestors would be found, and microfilms where you needed
      to look in an index record first and then the actual record (naturalization
      or ship records). This would save renting films multiple films. My wife
      concentrated on microfilms.

      The Library also has a good foreign book and microfilm collection and they
      will have volunteers who are familiar with using the resources and often
      speaking the language who will help you. It is a great place to get a
      small amount of German or Norwegian translated or help understanding a
      record.

      By being organized we got twice as much research done.

      You are going to have so much fun. Don't forget to get a little fresh air
      from time to time or forget to eat.

      Good Luck,

      Clark

      Oregon

      _____

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 13, 2006
        Thank you for your wonderful ideas. I've been spending most of my
        time making sure that I am organized and up-to-date with all of my
        research. I'm now going to shift over to making sure I have call
        numbers, etc. like you suggested.

        I'm so excited!!

        -- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Clark & Rita Pederson"
        <pedj@...> wrote:

        > Dear Hockeymom:
        >
        > Before going to Salt Lake City several years ago we spent many
        hours on the
        > http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp
        website
        > identifying books and microfilms that we were interested in
        checking. We
        > used the "Place Search" link and entered county names to see what
        records
        > they had available for that county. When you locate a resource be
        sure to
        > click on "View Film Notes", this gives the call number you need
        and library
        > location for that book or microfilm. We copied the information in
        a word
        > document (call numbers, title, description, book or microfilm,
        floor
        > location in library) and sorted the information by state or
        country. To
        > each item we added the name and vital date information for the
        ancestor we
        > anticipated finding in the record. We then put this information
        in a
        > notebook with tabs for family names we were searching. We spent
        no time in
        > Salt Lake looking up resources in the online catalogs. All of our
        time was
        > spent researching sources we had already identified.
        >

        > I concentrated on the books-community histories, land plat books,
        and
        > Norwegian farm books since these are not available by loan unless
        they have
        > been microfilmed. We also concentrated on microfilms where we
        weren't sure
        > if or where our ancestors would be found, and microfilms where you
        needed
        > to look in an index record first and then the actual record
        (naturalization
        > or ship records). This would save renting films multiple films.
        My wife
        > concentrated on microfilms.
        >

        > The Library also has a good foreign book and microfilm collection
        and they
        > will have volunteers who are familiar with using the resources and
        often
        > speaking the language who will help you. It is a great place to
        get a
        > small amount of German or Norwegian translated or help
        understanding a
        > record.
        >

        > By being organized we got twice as much research done.
        >

        > You are going to have so much fun. Don't forget to get a little
        fresh air
        > from time to time or forget to eat.
        >
        > Good Luck,
        >
        > Clark
        >
        > Oregon
        >

        > _____

      • c. michael eliasz
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 15, 2006
          Dear HockeyMom,
          I too am going to SLC in April (for the Polish
          Genealogy conference). Perhaps, I'll see you there.

          When I emailed Paul Lipinski(the organizer), he
          recommended that I note the microfilm numbers (call #'s are for
          books/periodicals). Also, he said if any microfilm # was >=
          2,000,000 (2M) that you need to send SLC FHC Library an email with
          those microfilm #'s and the dates when you will be there. It takes 2-
          3 days to get those microfilm (>2,000,000)out of the vault and to
          the library.

          --mike
          Researching: Eliasz/Leszczynski among many other names

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "hockeymom1368"
          <hockeymom1368@...> wrote:

          > Thank you for your wonderful ideas. I've been spending most of my
          > time making sure that I am organized and up-to-date with all of my
          > research. I'm now going to shift over to making sure I have call
          > numbers, etc. like you suggested.
          >
          > I'm so excited!!
          >

          > -- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Clark & Rita
          Pederson"
          > <pedj@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Dear Hockeymom:
          > >
          > > Before going to Salt Lake City several years ago we spent many
          > hours on the
          > > http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp
          > website
          > > identifying books and microfilms that we were interested in
          > checking. We
          > > used the "Place Search" link and entered county names to see
          what
          > records
          > > they had available for that county. When you locate a resource
          be
          > sure to
          > > click on "View Film Notes", this gives the call number you need
          > and library
          > > location for that book or microfilm. We copied the information
          in
          > a word
          > > document (call numbers, title, description, book or microfilm,
          > floor
          > > location in library) and sorted the information by state or
          > country. To
          > > each item we added the name and vital date information for the
          > ancestor we
          > > anticipated finding in the record. We then put this information
          > in a
          > > notebook with tabs for family names we were searching. We spent
          > no time in
          > > Salt Lake looking up resources in the online catalogs. All of
          our
          > time was
          > > [other portions removed for brevity]
        • Jenn
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 15, 2006
            WOW! What a small world! I am going to SLC in April also. I am going
            as a spring break vacation with my kids to visit family!

            The ideas that have posted are great and will be very handy when I go!
            Good luck and have fun to the rest that are going!

            Jennifer