Question re: Best Genealogy Program to Buy

  • connielee731
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 10, 2006
      About 6 years ago I had the Family Tree Maker Program.
      It was deleted 5 years ago and now I am ready to buy a
      program again and get restarted.

      In 6 years there should be alot of improvements and
      changes. What programs are recommended?

      TIA, Connie

      Searching: Kirstner...Hall...Vaughn...Jones

      My GGF was born 1824 in Bavaria. I have no idea when
      he arrived in America. In 1880 he is listed with his
      wife, Susan, in Altoona, Blair County. He was 56 and
      she was 36. Where do I look now? I would like Susan's
      maiden name, when they married and when George immigrated.
      His name was George Kirstner.
    • Debby Beltz
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 11, 2006
        There are lots of programs out there. Family tree maker - a
        purchase is very easy to use but you can download Legacy for free
        and it will give you what you are looking for. You can always
        upgrade for more funtions. Here is the site --
        http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/ -- standard edition 6.0 is free
        on the left side of home page -- http://www.familysearch.org/ also
        has a free program PAF -- do a google search you may get more.
        Play with them and see which fits your needs.
        I use both Legacy and Family tree. I found out about Legacy after I
        had purchase and upgrade my Family tree to FT 2005. Good luck
        Debby (PA)

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, connielee731
        <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > About 6 years ago I had the Family Tree Maker Program.
        > It was deleted 5 years ago and now I am ready to buy a
        > program again and get restarted.
        >
        > In 6 years there should be alot of improvements and
        > changes. What programs are recommended?
        >
        > TIA, Connie
        >
        > Searching: Kirstner...Hall...Vaughn...Jones
        >
        > My GGF was born 1824 in Bavaria. I have no idea when
        > he arrived in America. In 1880 he is listed with his
        > wife, Susan, in Altoona, Blair County. He was 56 and
        > she was 36. Where do I look now? I would like Susan's
        > maiden name, when they married and when George immigrated.
        > His name was George Kirstner.

      • linda hartman

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 11, 2006
            Connie,

            I have The Master Genealogist program and it great, you can put sources and
            citations and the reports print out great. A lot of people say it is a hard
            program to learn. I don't think that is correct, way to look at it. It is a
            very detailed reporting program. There are also TMG user groups in most
            cities, I am in the Seattle area and I go to one once a month and I have had
            the program for 7 years.

            www.whollygenes.com <http://www.whollygenes.com/> Go to the website and
            check it out. I think you will it. One time charge and not like Family Tree
            Maker with 19.95 upgrades every couple of months.

            Good Luck and let me know if you need any more help.

            Cassandra

            About 6 years ago I had the Family Tree Maker Program.
            It was deleted 5 years ago and now I am ready to buy a
            program again and get restarted.

            In 6 years there should be alot of improvements and
            changes. What programs are recommended?

            TIA, Connie

            Searching: Kirstner...Hall...Vaughn...Jones

            My GGF was born 1824 in Bavaria. I have no idea when
            he arrived in America. In 1880 he is listed with his
            wife, Susan, in Altoona, Blair County. He was 56 and
            she was 36. Where do I look now? I would like Susan's
            maiden name, when they married and when George immigrated.
            His name was George Kirstner.

            http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408
            <http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408&siteid=18621718>
            &siteid=18621718

            General
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=General+liability&w1=General+liability&
            w2=American+generals&w3=Family+genealogy&w4=Genealogy+research&w5=Genealogy+
            family+tree&w6=Genealogy+information&c=6&s=146&.sig=Wey-f6DcO0EYUcNtMwqZQg>
            liability

            American
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+generals&w1=General+liability&
            w2=American+generals&w3=Family+genealogy&w4=Genealogy+research&w5=Genealogy+
            family+tree&w6=Genealogy+information&c=6&s=146&.sig=u72bh5z7q9dpynt1dI-6Tw>
            generals

            Family
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Family+genealogy&w1=General+liability&w
            2=American+generals&w3=Family+genealogy&w4=Genealogy+research&w5=Genealogy+f
            amily+tree&w6=Genealogy+information&c=6&s=146&.sig=NdRgnUuIo-MpPtmipBOb5g>
            genealogy

            Genealogy
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Genealogy+research&w1=General+liability
            &w2=American+generals&w3=Family+genealogy&w4=Genealogy+research&w5=Genealogy
            +family+tree&w6=Genealogy+information&c=6&s=146&.sig=ToNqrgMYVs_8Tg-53APPhw>
            research

            Genealogy
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Genealogy+family+tree&w1=General+liabil
            ity&w2=American+generals&w3=Family+genealogy&w4=Genealogy+research&w5=Geneal
            ogy+family+tree&w6=Genealogy+information&c=6&s=146&.sig=uMNt5wzesT-FdfwAE6xp
            FA> family tree

            Genealogy
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Genealogy+information&w1=General+liabil
            ity&w2=American+generals&w3=Family+genealogy&w4=Genealogy+research&w5=Geneal
            ogy+family+tree&w6=Genealogy+information&c=6&s=146&.sig=K55Fw8UCv7oXpcfx3Pns
            ig> information

            _____

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            * Visit your group "genealogyresearchclub
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genealogyresearchclub> " on the web.

            e>

            _____

          • Forrest Plumstead
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 11, 2006
              Connie!

              Go to my website linked below Main Menu>Favorite Links and go to Free
              Genealogy Software. It is from Ancestry.com and it's free. I've used it for
              years and swear by it.

              Forrest Plumstead fplum1@...
              Researching the following Surnames:
              Plumstead and Associated Families:

              > About 6 years ago I had the Family Tree Maker Program.
              > It was deleted 5 years ago and now I am ready to buy a
              > program again and get restarted.
              >
              > In 6 years there should be alot of improvements and
              > changes. What programs are recommended?
              >
              > TIA, Connie
              >
              > Searching: Kirstner...Hall...Vaughn...Jones
              >
              > My GGF was born 1824 in Bavaria. I have no idea when
              > he arrived in America. In 1880 he is listed with his
              > wife, Susan, in Altoona, Blair County. He was 56 and
              > she was 36. Where do I look now? I would like Susan's
              > maiden name, when they married and when George immigrated.
              > His name was George Kirstner.

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • joe labulis