Re: [Genealogy Research Club] searching for Jeremiah Williams and Mary Garst information

  • Tammy Jernigan
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 5, 2006
      Hi Linda,
      I found some about him in some family trees.

      Name: Jeremiah WILLIAMS
      Sex: M
      Birth: 1750 in Wales
      Death: 1824 in Giles County VA
      Burial: Mountain Lake VA Note:
      Jeremiah received a Land Grant in 1783 of 100 acres on the north side of
      Doe Creek as assignee of Micheal Drake. Doe Creek is close to Pembroke
      and is a creek that comes from the present Mountain Lake Resort. Later
      he received an addition grant of 35 and 60 acres in the same area. The
      Montgomery County 1788-1799 Personal Property Tax, lists Jeremiah with 6
      horses and no slaves. In 1791, 46 acres on the west side of land he
      lived on were recorded in Montgomery County Survey Book D.

      Jeremiah's will dated May 7, 1819 but was not proven until March 30,
      1824, leaves 1/3 of his estate to his wife Mary during her natural life.

      "To my son Adram (Abraham) Williams $1
      To my son John Williams $1
      To my son David Williams $1
      To my son in law Randal Lucas $1
      To my son in law John Rice $1
      To my son Alexander Williams widow Lisha $1

      To my son Andrew Williams a tract of land joining the land of Joseph
      Williams, Jacob Albert, Christian Smith, Randall Lucas and David Collins.

      To my son Joseph Williams a tract of land joining the land of Randal
      Lucas, Collins corner and Albert's corner.

      To my sons Hugh and James Williams all the rest of my land.

      To Margaret and Rebecca Williams my Daughters all my personal property,
      household furniture and kitchen furniture except on horse to James
      Williams my son."

      He appointed his friends Christian Snidow, Sr., George Williams, Jr.
      executors and signed the will with his "X."
      William Porterfield and Eliza Williams his witnesses.

      Hugh and Joseph sold 100 acres to James White, the same that was deeded
      in part to the said Joseph Williams by Jeremiah Williams on the 5th day
      of May 1836 in Giles County, Virginia

      From Barb Gulley's files: Jeremiah was born in Wales, not Virginia
      Also from Barb: Jeremiah "the Elder" Williams settled on the north side of Doe Creek in the part of Montgomery County that became Giles County in 1806. He recieved a land grant in 1783 of 100 acres as an assignee of Michael Drake. Later, he received additional grants of 35 and 60 acres in the same area. Tax lists show Jeremiah with six horses and no slaves. In 1791, 46 acres on the "westside of land he now lives on" were recorded in the Montgomery County Survey Book "D" for Jeremiah.

      He is buried on the bench of Mountain Lake near Pearisburg in Giles County. Jeremiahs' willis dated May 7, 1819 but was not proven until March 30, 1824. He leaves one third of his estate to his wife, Mary, as a life estate, to his son Abraham Williams, one dollar, to son John Williams one dollar, to don David Williams one dollar, to son-in-law Randle Lucas one dollar, to son-in-law John Rice one dollar, to son Alexander Williams' widow, Lisha Williams, one dollar, to son Andrew Williams a tract of land joining the land of Joseph Williams, Jacob Alberts, Christian Smith, Randl Lucas and David Collins, to son Joseph Williams a tract of land joining the land of Randl Lucas, Collins corner and Alberts corner. To my sons Hugh and James Williams, all the remainder of the land. To Margaret and Rebecca Williams, all of my personal property, household furniture and kitchen furniture except one horse to James, Williams, my son.

      Father: William WILLIAMS b: Abt 1720 in Wales
      Mother: Ann JONES b: in Possibly Ireland

      Marriage 1 Mary GARST b: Abt 1754 in On Board Ship Sailing To America From Germany - Not Yet Proven
      From Barb Gulley:
      Mary Garst was born on a sailing ship outbound from Germany. Her parents made a cradle for her from the oven of a cook stove. Married: ABT 1774 in Of, Giles or Fauquier, Virginia

      Children

      David "Lonesome Dave" WILLIAMS b: 1776 in Doe Creek, Montgomery (now Giles) county, Virginia
      John WILLIAMS
      Alexander WILLIAMS b: 1777/1780 in , Montgomery, Virginia
      Joseph WILLIAMS b: 1784 in , , Virginia
      Andrew WILLIAMS b: ABT 1778 in , Fauquier, Virginia
      Molly WILLIAMS b: 1779 in , , Virginia
      Hugh WILLIAMS b: 1770/1780 in , , Virginia
      James WILLIAMS b: 1793 in , , Virginia
      Margaret WILLIAMS b: 1794 in , , Virginia
      Rebecca WILLIAMS
      Patience WILLIAMS b: ABT 1772 in , , Virginia
      Abraham WILLIAMS b: 1775 in , , Virginia

      TAMMY JERNIGAN