searching for Jeremiah Williams and Mary Garst information

  • nomarblzz
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2006
      hello
      I am searching for info on Jeremiah Williams born abt 1750 in either
      Wales or Virginia, he married Mary Garst about 1770. Jeremiah died
      about 1824 and they lived around Giles County Virginia.

      Thanks
      Linda
    • Tammy Jernigan
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 5, 2006
        Hi Linda,
        I found some about him in some family trees.

        Name: Jeremiah WILLIAMS
        Sex: M
        Birth: 1750 in Wales
        Death: 1824 in Giles County VA
        Burial: Mountain Lake VA Note:
        Jeremiah received a Land Grant in 1783 of 100 acres on the north side of
        Doe Creek as assignee of Micheal Drake. Doe Creek is close to Pembroke
        and is a creek that comes from the present Mountain Lake Resort. Later
        he received an addition grant of 35 and 60 acres in the same area. The
        Montgomery County 1788-1799 Personal Property Tax, lists Jeremiah with 6
        horses and no slaves. In 1791, 46 acres on the west side of land he
        lived on were recorded in Montgomery County Survey Book D.

        Jeremiah's will dated May 7, 1819 but was not proven until March 30,
        1824, leaves 1/3 of his estate to his wife Mary during her natural life.

        "To my son Adram (Abraham) Williams $1
        To my son John Williams $1
        To my son David Williams $1
        To my son in law Randal Lucas $1
        To my son in law John Rice $1
        To my son Alexander Williams widow Lisha $1

        To my son Andrew Williams a tract of land joining the land of Joseph
        Williams, Jacob Albert, Christian Smith, Randall Lucas and David Collins.

        To my son Joseph Williams a tract of land joining the land of Randal
        Lucas, Collins corner and Albert's corner.

        To my sons Hugh and James Williams all the rest of my land.

        To Margaret and Rebecca Williams my Daughters all my personal property,
        household furniture and kitchen furniture except on horse to James
        Williams my son."

        He appointed his friends Christian Snidow, Sr., George Williams, Jr.
        executors and signed the will with his "X."
        William Porterfield and Eliza Williams his witnesses.

        Hugh and Joseph sold 100 acres to James White, the same that was deeded
        in part to the said Joseph Williams by Jeremiah Williams on the 5th day
        of May 1836 in Giles County, Virginia

        From Barb Gulley's files: Jeremiah was born in Wales, not Virginia
        Also from Barb: Jeremiah "the Elder" Williams settled on the north side of Doe Creek in the part of Montgomery County that became Giles County in 1806. He recieved a land grant in 1783 of 100 acres as an assignee of Michael Drake. Later, he received additional grants of 35 and 60 acres in the same area. Tax lists show Jeremiah with six horses and no slaves. In 1791, 46 acres on the "westside of land he now lives on" were recorded in the Montgomery County Survey Book "D" for Jeremiah.

        He is buried on the bench of Mountain Lake near Pearisburg in Giles County. Jeremiahs' willis dated May 7, 1819 but was not proven until March 30, 1824. He leaves one third of his estate to his wife, Mary, as a life estate, to his son Abraham Williams, one dollar, to son John Williams one dollar, to don David Williams one dollar, to son-in-law Randle Lucas one dollar, to son-in-law John Rice one dollar, to son Alexander Williams' widow, Lisha Williams, one dollar, to son Andrew Williams a tract of land joining the land of Joseph Williams, Jacob Alberts, Christian Smith, Randl Lucas and David Collins, to son Joseph Williams a tract of land joining the land of Randl Lucas, Collins corner and Alberts corner. To my sons Hugh and James Williams, all the remainder of the land. To Margaret and Rebecca Williams, all of my personal property, household furniture and kitchen furniture except one horse to James, Williams, my son.

        Father: William WILLIAMS b: Abt 1720 in Wales
        Mother: Ann JONES b: in Possibly Ireland

        Marriage 1 Mary GARST b: Abt 1754 in On Board Ship Sailing To America From Germany - Not Yet Proven
        From Barb Gulley:
        Mary Garst was born on a sailing ship outbound from Germany. Her parents made a cradle for her from the oven of a cook stove. Married: ABT 1774 in Of, Giles or Fauquier, Virginia

        Children

        David "Lonesome Dave" WILLIAMS b: 1776 in Doe Creek, Montgomery (now Giles) county, Virginia
        John WILLIAMS
        Alexander WILLIAMS b: 1777/1780 in , Montgomery, Virginia
        Joseph WILLIAMS b: 1784 in , , Virginia
        Andrew WILLIAMS b: ABT 1778 in , Fauquier, Virginia
        Molly WILLIAMS b: 1779 in , , Virginia
        Hugh WILLIAMS b: 1770/1780 in , , Virginia
        James WILLIAMS b: 1793 in , , Virginia
        Margaret WILLIAMS b: 1794 in , , Virginia
        Rebecca WILLIAMS
        Patience WILLIAMS b: ABT 1772 in , , Virginia
        Abraham WILLIAMS b: 1775 in , , Virginia

        TAMMY JERNIGAN