I'm going to Salt Lake City in April...any hints?

  • hockeymom1368
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4 12:04 PM
      As a surprise for my 40th birthday, my mom is taking me to the
      Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah in April. I am so
      excited but everything I have read has made me confused. I was
      wondering if anyone has any tips on what to be looking for when I
      get there.

      I am fortunate that I have gotten quite a bit of information from
      the internet and family (and been able to confirm most of it). I
      live in the same county or have access to the county for most of my
      more recent ancestors (within past 50-70 years). I know where I
      can get most of their birth/death/marriage certificates also. I've
      visited almost all of the cemeteries I need also.

      Should I focus on filling in my tree? Breaking down brickwalls? Or
      getting confirmation information while I'm at the library? I'm so
      afraid that I'll just end up running in circles and not making the
      most of this wonderful trip.

      With both of us being there, I figure that we could each work on a
      family branch but wanted to have some type of idea where I should be
      heading now. Any thoughts or ideas???
    • Clark & Rita Pederson
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 10 5:42 AM
        Dear Hockeymom:

        Before going to Salt Lake City several years ago we spent many hours on the
        http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp website
        identifying books and microfilms that we were interested in checking. We
        used the "Place Search" link and entered county names to see what records
        they had available for that county. When you locate a resource be sure to
        click on "View Film Notes", this gives the call number you need and library
        location for that book or microfilm. We copied the information in a word
        document (call numbers, title, description, book or microfilm, floor
        location in library) and sorted the information by state or country. To
        each item we added the name and vital date information for the ancestor we
        anticipated finding in the record. We then put this information in a
        notebook with tabs for family names we were searching. We spent no time in
        Salt Lake looking up resources in the online catalogs. All of our time was
        spent researching sources we had already identified.

        I concentrated on the books-community histories, land plat books, and
        Norwegian farm books since these are not available by loan unless they have
        been microfilmed. We also concentrated on microfilms where we weren't sure
        if or where our ancestors would be found, and microfilms where you needed
        to look in an index record first and then the actual record (naturalization
        or ship records). This would save renting films multiple films. My wife
        concentrated on microfilms.

        The Library also has a good foreign book and microfilm collection and they
        will have volunteers who are familiar with using the resources and often
        speaking the language who will help you. It is a great place to get a
        small amount of German or Norwegian translated or help understanding a
        record.

        By being organized we got twice as much research done.

        You are going to have so much fun. Don't forget to get a little fresh air
        from time to time or forget to eat.

        Good Luck,

        Clark

        Oregon

        _____

        As a surprise for my 40th birthday, my mom is taking me to the
        Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah in April.

        Any thoughts or ideas???

      • hockeymom1368
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 13 6:24 PM
          Thank you for your wonderful ideas. I've been spending most of my
          time making sure that I am organized and up-to-date with all of my
          research. I'm now going to shift over to making sure I have call
          numbers, etc. like you suggested.

          I'm so excited!!

          -- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Clark & Rita Pederson"
          <pedj@...> wrote:

          > Dear Hockeymom:
          >
          > Before going to Salt Lake City several years ago we spent many
          hours on the
          > http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp
          website
          > identifying books and microfilms that we were interested in
          checking. We
          > used the "Place Search" link and entered county names to see what
          records
          > they had available for that county. When you locate a resource be
          sure to
          > click on "View Film Notes", this gives the call number you need
          and library
          > location for that book or microfilm. We copied the information in
          a word
          > document (call numbers, title, description, book or microfilm,
          floor
          > location in library) and sorted the information by state or
          country. To
          > each item we added the name and vital date information for the
          ancestor we
          > anticipated finding in the record. We then put this information
          in a
          > notebook with tabs for family names we were searching. We spent
          no time in
          > Salt Lake looking up resources in the online catalogs. All of our
          time was
          > spent researching sources we had already identified.
          >

          > I concentrated on the books-community histories, land plat books,
          and
          > Norwegian farm books since these are not available by loan unless
          they have
          > been microfilmed. We also concentrated on microfilms where we
          weren't sure
          > if or where our ancestors would be found, and microfilms where you
          needed
          > to look in an index record first and then the actual record
          (naturalization
          > or ship records). This would save renting films multiple films.
          My wife
          > concentrated on microfilms.
          >

          > The Library also has a good foreign book and microfilm collection
          and they
          > will have volunteers who are familiar with using the resources and
          often
          > speaking the language who will help you. It is a great place to
          get a
          > small amount of German or Norwegian translated or help
          understanding a
          > record.
          >

          > By being organized we got twice as much research done.
          >

          > You are going to have so much fun. Don't forget to get a little
          fresh air
          > from time to time or forget to eat.
          >
          > Good Luck,
          >
          > Clark
          >
          > Oregon
          >

          > _____

        • c. michael eliasz
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 15 6:30 AM
            Dear HockeyMom,
            I too am going to SLC in April (for the Polish
            Genealogy conference). Perhaps, I'll see you there.

            When I emailed Paul Lipinski(the organizer), he
            recommended that I note the microfilm numbers (call #'s are for
            books/periodicals). Also, he said if any microfilm # was >=
            2,000,000 (2M) that you need to send SLC FHC Library an email with
            those microfilm #'s and the dates when you will be there. It takes 2-
            3 days to get those microfilm (>2,000,000)out of the vault and to
            the library.

            --mike
            Researching: Eliasz/Leszczynski among many other names

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "hockeymom1368"
            <hockeymom1368@...> wrote:

            > Thank you for your wonderful ideas. I've been spending most of my
            > time making sure that I am organized and up-to-date with all of my
            > research. I'm now going to shift over to making sure I have call
            > numbers, etc. like you suggested.
            >
            > I'm so excited!!
            >

            > -- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Clark & Rita
            Pederson"
            > <pedj@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Dear Hockeymom:
            > >
            > > Before going to Salt Lake City several years ago we spent many
            > hours on the
            > > http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp
            > website
            > > identifying books and microfilms that we were interested in
            > checking. We
            > > used the "Place Search" link and entered county names to see
            what
            > records
            > > they had available for that county. When you locate a resource
            be
            > sure to
            > > click on "View Film Notes", this gives the call number you need
            > and library
            > > location for that book or microfilm. We copied the information
            in
            > a word
            > > document (call numbers, title, description, book or microfilm,
            > floor
            > > location in library) and sorted the information by state or
            > country. To
            > > each item we added the name and vital date information for the
            > ancestor we
            > > anticipated finding in the record. We then put this information
            > in a
            > > notebook with tabs for family names we were searching. We spent
            > no time in
            > > Salt Lake looking up resources in the online catalogs. All of
            our
            > time was
            > > [other portions removed for brevity]
          • Jenn
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 15 5:55 PM
              WOW! What a small world! I am going to SLC in April also. I am going
              as a spring break vacation with my kids to visit family!

              The ideas that have posted are great and will be very handy when I go!
              Good luck and have fun to the rest that are going!

              Jennifer