Re: [Genealogy Research Club] New here

  • Bill & Tina Swyers
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 31, 2006
      Hi Diane: I am interested in your Prather family name.
      My GGGG Grandmother was Cassandra Prather b: 1718 in Maryland and d: 1827 in Newberry Co, South Carolina. She was married to my GGGG Grandfather,
      Daniel Williams.
      Father: John PRATHER b: 1715 in ,CALVERT, MD
      Mother: Abarilla HYATT b: 1718 in ,,MD

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 31, 2006
        Hi Diane,

        Where are your Saunders from? I have at least 200 on my tree.

        Susan

        Diane <diane_amory@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Orion Herefords
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 27, 2006
          Hi y'all,

          I was wondering if anyone would be willing to offer suggestions to a newbie?
          Good resources? I am accustomed to tracing pedigrees for my Hereford
          cattle, but have never tried it on myself or my family. :o) Would anyone
          know if the genealogy research websites are of value? (ancestry.com,
          onegreatfamily or something like that...)

          Thanks in advance!
          Regena

        • Susan Ball
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 28, 2006
            Rootsweb.com is imho the best free site. Check it out - you'll be amazed at
            the wealth of information.

            On 7/27/06, Orion Herefords <Orionhfd@...> wrote:

            > Hi y'all,
            >
            > I was wondering if anyone would be willing to offer suggestions to a
            > newbie?
            > Good resources? I am accustomed to tracing pedigrees for my Hereford
            > cattle, but have never tried it on myself or my family. :o) Would anyone
            > know if the genealogy research websites are of value? (ancestry.com,
            > onegreatfamily or something like that...)
            >
            > Thanks in advance!
            > Regena

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Clark & Rita Pederson
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 29, 2006
              Regina: I subscribe to ancestry.com but would recommend you start with
              some free resources. In addition to rootsweb.com which someone recommended
              I would also recommend US Gen Web. It is free. http://www.usgenweb.com/
              Check the county in which your ancestors lived to see what information
              county volunteers have put online. Some counties have census and other
              data available. If you are unsure of the county name when you have a city
              name, use this website to identify the current county (some counties have
              been divided and the original county could be a different one.
              http://resources.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/townco.cgi I would also recommend
              joining or attending the meetings and workshops of your local genealogy
              society. They can alert you to local and internet resources. Call your
              library or chamber of commerce and ask if they are aware of a local
              genealogy society.

              Good Luck in joining a wonderful and frustrating hobby of genealogical
              research!

              Clark

              Oregon

            • mom2austinnkylie@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 30, 2006
                I have found a lot of information on
                _www.google.com_ (http://www.google.com)
                _www.rootsweb.com_ (http://www.rootsweb.com)
                _www.kindredkonnections.com_ (http://www.kindredkonnections.com)
                _www.familysearch.org_ (http://www.familysearch.org)

                and many more

              • waynes_my_babie
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 17 5:57 PM
                  I forgot to ask, how do you know cassandra is hispanic? also are her brothers,sisters,mother,father hispanic as well?