I'm New - General Question

  • Carlene
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 28, 2006
      Hi! Thanks for letting me join! I'm new to the whole world of
      Genealogy! I'm researching my Dad's side of the family. Not sure
      how to start. Unfortunately, my grandparents have passed on and I
      did not get much info from them before they passed. I DO know that
      both sets of my Great-Grandparents were NOT born in the US. My
      g'mas parents were born in Ukraine, married there, had a son and a
      daughter, then came to the US and had 7 more children. The son and
      Daughter born in Ukraine did not come to the US. My G'PA's Father
      was born in Ireland, and his mother was born in Austria. They came
      to the US around 1913, 1914, respectively, met here, and got
      married.

      How do I find information on relatives in other countries? My
      dad "thinks" he has the immigration papers for them, but isn't
      sure. He's looking for me.

      Any help is greatly appreciated! Oh, the surnames are Hickey
      (Ireland) and Sendecki (Ukraine). I don't know what my G'pas
      mothers maiden name was.

      Thanks!
      Carlene
    • Susan Lyman
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 28, 2006
        Hi Carlene,

        Welcome to the group.

        My father's family is Ukranian. What area of the Ukraine is your family from?

        Susan

        Carlene <chickey830@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Forrest Plumstead
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 28, 2006
          Hi welcome to the club! For people new to digital genealogy click on this link:
          Goto the main menu at the bottom of the page and click on New to Genealogy.

          Forrest Plumstead

          --
          Forrest Plumstead WB5HQO
          Researching Plumstead, Schroeder,
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 29, 2006
            Hi! Unfortunately, I don't know! I never got any more info from my
            G'ma before she passed away. I know the husband's name and the
            wife's first name....Michael and Catherine Sendecki

            I don't know where or how to start searching..

            Any ideas?

            Thanks
            Carlene

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Susan Lyman
            <annemarielyman@y...> wrote:

            > Hi Carlene,
            >
            > Welcome to the group.
            >
            > My father's family is Ukranian. What area of the Ukraine is your
            family from?

            > Susan
            >

            > Carlene <chickey830@e...> wrote:
            > Hi! Thanks for letting me join! I'm new to the whole world of
            > Genealogy! I'm researching my Dad's side of the family. Not sure
            > how to start. Unfortunately, my grandparents have passed on and I
            > did not get much info from them before they passed. I DO know
            that
            > both sets of my Great-Grandparents were NOT born in the US. My
            > g'mas parents were born in Ukraine, married there, had a son and a
            > daughter, then came to the US and had 7 more children. The son
            and
            > Daughter born in Ukraine did not come to the US. My G'PA's Father
            > was born in Ireland, and his mother was born in Austria. They
            came
            > to the US around 1913, 1914, respectively, met here, and got
            > married.
            >
            > How do I find information on relatives in other countries? My
            > dad "thinks" he has the immigration papers for them, but isn't
            > sure. He's looking for me.
            >
            > Any help is greatly appreciated! Oh, the surnames are Hickey
            > (Ireland) and Sendecki (Ukraine). I don't know what my G'pas
            > mothers maiden name was.
            >
            > Thanks!
            > Carlene

            Service.

            > ---------------------------------

          • Susan Lyman
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 30, 2006
              Hi Carlene,

              This is the link to the Sendeckis that I found on Ellis Island
              http://www.ellisisland.org/search/matchMore.asp?MID=03476542960238460896&LNM=SENDECKI&PLNM=SENDECKI&first_kind=1&kind=exact&offset=0&dwpdone=1

              Also at the NARA
              http://aad.archives.gov/aad/display-partial-records.jsp?f=3475&mtch=4&q=Sendecki&cat=all&dt=893&tf=F

              Also try these Ukraine Mailing Lists:

              http://www.rootsweb.com/~jfuller/gen_mail_country-ukr.html

              Forum:

              http://old.ukraine.com/forums/

              And some other Misc. Ukranian Links:

              http://www.infoukes.com/
              http://www.infoukes.com/genealogy/links/
              http://www.mtu-net.ru/rrr/ukraine.htm
              http://www.archives.gov.ua/Eng/index.php
              http://cefha.org/
              http://www.eegsociety.org/EEGS.aspx
              http://www.eegsociety.org/EEGS.aspx
              http://feefhs.org/
              http://www.genealogicaltree.org.ua/eng/eindex.html
              http://www.hf.uib.no/Andre/vesti/ukrainehistory.htm

              Maybe somewhere to start..

              Have Fun and Good Luck!!

              Susan

              <annemarielyman@y...> wrote:

              > Hi Carlene,
              >
              > Welcome to the group.
              >
              > My father's family is Ukranian. What area of the Ukraine is your
              family from?

              > Susan
              >

              > Carlene <chickey830@e...> wrote:
              > Hi! Thanks for letting me join! I'm new to the whole world of
              > Genealogy! I'm researching my Dad's side of the family. Not sure
              > how to start. Unfortunately, my grandparents have passed on and I
              > did not get much info from them before they passed. I DO know
              that
              > both sets of my Great-Grandparents were NOT born in the US. My
              > g'mas parents were born in Ukraine, married there, had a son and a
              > daughter, then came to the US and had 7 more children. The son
              and
              > Daughter born in Ukraine did not come to the US. My G'PA's Father
              > was born in Ireland, and his mother was born in Austria. They
              came
              > to the US around 1913, 1914, respectively, met here, and got
              > married.
              >
              > How do I find information on relatives in other countries? My
              > dad "thinks" he has the immigration papers for them, but isn't
              > sure. He's looking for me.
              >
              > Any help is greatly appreciated! Oh, the surnames are Hickey
              > (Ireland) and Sendecki (Ukraine). I don't know what my G'pas
              > mothers maiden name was.
              >
              > Thanks!
              > Carlene

              Service.

              > ---------------------------------

            • Clark & Rita Pederson
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 30, 2006
                Carlene:

                Get all the information you can from your parents. Then a good place to
                start would be your grandparent's death certificates. That should give you
                some information to work with. Spouse's names and parent names and where
                they were from. Then you could look for census information from 1930
                backwards. From there you might check naturalization records.

                _____

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 31, 2006
                  Thanks to everyone for the help! I did find out that the area of
                  Ukraine they are from is Galacia. My father did find the birth
                  certificates and naturalization records for both sets of his
                  grandparents (my gr. grandparents). He took the originals and had
                  copies made and put the originals in his safety deposit box and is
                  bringing me copies this weekend. He said he has 23 copies for me!
                  I'm SO excited!! I can't wait!!

                  Thanks again for everyone's help!

                  --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Clark & Rita