Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Software question

  • Karen Minnemeyer
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 26, 2006
      Hello Ray:
      I highly recommend Legacy, a free download. The program is also available for purchase with extensive charts, etc. I have used the free version for years and have found it meets all of my needs. I have also used Family Tree and Ancestry's family tree program in the past. Legacy is much easier and more intuitive, in my opinion, than any other program I have used. The LDS (Church of Later Day Saints) site also has a free program which is not bad, I just prefer Legacy.
      Good Luck,
      Karen

      Karen E. Minnemeyer
      kamiki1@...

    • Debby Beltz
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 26, 2006
        There are lots of programs out there. Family tree maker - purchase is very easy to use but you can download Legacy for free and it will give you what you are looking for. You can always upgrade for more funtions. Here is the site --http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/ -- standard edition 6.0 is free on the left side of home page -- http://www.familysearch.org/ also has a free program PAF -- do a google search you may get more. Play with them and see which fits your needs.
        I use both Legacy and Family tree. I found out about Legacy after I had purchase and upgrade my Family tree to FT 2005. Good luck
        Debby (PA)
        rayclarke22902 <rayclarke22902@...> wrote:
        Hello. I'm new both to genealogy and to this group. A book I have
        been reading suggests that there are a number of good, free
        downloadable software programs to simplify, or at least to help
        organize, my research. I'm interested in a basic program without
        too many complex features which I can use for family group sheets,
        ancestor charts, etc. and which will allow me to list conflicting
        data (such as multiple birth dates for the same person) and to cite
        multiple sources. I'll need to back it up to my flash drive as well.
        Could anyone suggest such a program? Are there any programs that
        are problematic enough to avoid? Thanks so much for any assistance.

      • Forrest Plumstead
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 27, 2006
          Go to my website linked below. Main Menu>Favorite Links and scroll down to
          free Genealogy Program. This is for Ancestry Family Tree. I have used this
          program for years and love it. Also it is one of the ** Rare ** things that
          Ancestry.com gives for free!

          Forrest Plumstead fplum1@...
          Researching the following Surnames:
          Plumstead and Associated Families: