Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: Bronislawa Lach

  • Elizabeth Duszak
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 11, 2006
      Gayle,

      Thank you for the information, however my grandmother did not change her name, nor did she immigrate to the US or become a citizen. She remained a citizen of Poland and passed away there.

      I do appreciate the information!

      Thank you,

      Elizabeth
      "gosburn.geo" <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      Hello,
      Just my 2 cents but my mother in laws parents were from Poland and
      named her Bronislawa Ksawera which she translated into Bernice
      Rose. That is what I found all her records under instead of the
      Polish version of her name.
      Gayle

      Message: 4
      Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 07:19:33 -0800 (PST)
      From: Elizabeth Duszak <hopestarrblue@...>
      Subject: Re: RE: Bronislawa Lach Search

      The information from section 1 would possibly be correct. My
      grandmother's birthday was in November, not October, so section 2
      and I believe she was 88 or 89 when she passed away so her birth
      year would have been 1913 or 1912. Her last residence was Poland.
      She did have a SSN and address for Brooklyn because we did live
      there and she would get travel visa from Poland to work in US or to
      come visit with us. My mother was borin in 1943. As for my
      grandmother's maiden name, I could be incorrect on the Wlodarski
      part... I'm basically playing a guessing game there. I know that we
      have family with that last name. I don't know any of my
      grandmother's sisters or brother's names and when it comes to my
      mother... well, I believe that one of her brother's changed his last
      name because "Lach" in polish means dirty rag or something of that
      nature and he didn't like that last name.

      Its quite confusing. I'll try to speak with my brother to see what
      more I could find out. So far though, the information in section 1
      would be my grandmother. That much I can confirm.

      Thank you!

      Clark & Rita Pederson <pedj@...> wrote:
      Elizabeth:

      Here is what shows on ancestry.com:

      1) Social Security Death Index Information:

      Name: Bronislawa Lach

      SSN: 058-48-8013

      Last Residence: 11230 Brooklyn, Kings, New York

      Born: 16-Nov-14

      Died: 19-Aug-01

      State (Year) SSN issued: New York (1970 )

      2) Philadelphia Passenger Lists 1883-1945:

      Name: Bronislawa Lach

      Arrival Date: 5 July 1913

      Age: 20 years

      Estimated Birth 1893

      Gender: Female

      Eithnic Background Polish

      Port of Departure: Bremen, Germany

      Ship Name Frankfurt

      Port of Arrival: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

      Friend's Name: Francisek Lach

      Last Residence: Russia

      Birthplace: Dabrzanke, Russia

      Microfilm # 117

      The birthdate doesn't match. Could it be an ancestor for which your
      mother was named after??

      3) Ancestor World Tree:

      Name: Bronislawa Lach

      Date of Birth 24 Oct 1897

      Place of Birth Lodz, Poland

      Death 16 AUG 1987 in Kcynia, Poland

      Spouse: Leon Szczypiorski

      4) One World Tree:

      More entries with ancestors of Leon Szczypiorski

      Checking the Census for Wlodarski there doesn't seem to be a
      Bronislawa.
      Did she use another more Americanized name also? Do you know any
      brother or sister's names or her parent's name?

      In 1930 there is a Helen born in 1914 living in Charlton, Saratoga,
      New York with a sister Jane and parents Eleanor & Theodore Wlodarski

      Clark

      Oregon