Paid Ancestry help

  • justuses14
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 11, 2006
      Hi, I have hit a stumbling block with the research of my fathers
      grandparents John & Mary Sabol and son George. I have searched Ellis
      Island with every date and name soundex and can not find them. I now
      believe that they came to the states by way of Baltimore. The year was
      between 1893-1897. They were from Austria or Hungry. I am trying to
      find the name of the village they came from. I do know George was about
      3 when he came here. They lived in Hazleton, Pa ~ I have the census for
      1910-20. Hazleton is in Luzerne county. If someone with a paid ancestry
      subscription could help me I would be grateful! Thank you for your
      time. Sharon
    • jbaconsr
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 11, 2006
        In the WWI draft registry there is the following entry:
        John Sabol born 12/25/1887 born Fretchla? Hungary.Austria. Miner by
        trade.Worked for the G B Marple Co, Ebonvale?,Luzerne Co,PA.Registered
        in Hazeltown PA.1917

        The 1930 census has:
        John Sabol age 48 married at 22 Austria,Austria,Austria 1903 PA
        Mary wife age 41 m@17 Austria x 3 1898 AL?
        John son age 19 single PA Austria Austria
        Helen daughter age 15 s
        Margeret daugh age 10 s
        Mildred daugh age 8 s
        Betty daugh age 4 4/12 s
        anna daugh age 1 9/12 s
        Olga daugh age 2/12 s
        William Sabol uncle age 86 m@21 Polish Austria Austria 1890
        Sophia aunt age 64 m@ 17 Polish Austria austria 1890

        does this look like the right family? I'll check the 1910 and 1920
        census' for similarities.

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "justuses14"
        <justuses14@y...> wrote:

        > Hi, I have hit a stumbling block with the research of my fathers
        > grandparents John & Mary Sabol and son George. I have searched Ellis
        > Island with every date and name soundex and can not find them. I now
        > believe that they came to the states by way of Baltimore. The year
        was
        > between 1893-1897. They were from Austria or Hungry. I am trying to
        > find the name of the village they came from. I do know George was
        about
        > 3 when he came here. They lived in Hazleton, Pa ~ I have the census
        for
        > 1910-20. Hazleton is in Luzerne county. If someone with a paid
        ancestry
        > subscription could help me I would be grateful! Thank you for your
        > time. Sharon

      • bigred1442
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 11, 2006
          <justuses14@y...> wrote:

          > Hi, I have hit a stumbling block with the research of my fathers
          > grandparents John & Mary Sabol and son George. I have searched Ellis
          > Island with every date and name soundex and can not find them. I now
          > believe that they came to the states by way of Baltimore. The year
          was
          > between 1893-1897. They were from Austria or Hungry. I am trying to
          > find the name of the village they came from. I do know George was
          about
          > 3 when he came here. They lived in Hazleton, Pa ~ I have the census
          for
          > 1910-20. Hazleton is in Luzerne county. If someone with a paid
          ancestry
          > subscription could help me I would be grateful! Thank you for your
          > time. Sharon

          Hi, Sharon!
          I understand where you are with your search. I found my grandfather at
          Ellis Island but not my grandmother and the rest of the family. He
          came ahead to work in coal mines in Pa. and the rest of the family
          followed on a different ship and not through Ellis Island. They were
          Czech and as did just about everyone then, they put Austria as their
          homeland, [as in part of the Austrian Empire].
          I was surprised at how many Sabols I found at Ancestry, many of whom
          spoke Czech or Polish or Slavik. So, can you help with some more info?

          Do you know what language they spoke?
          Do you know when they were born?
          Can give names of aunts and uncles?
          This would help narrow the choices. I have the Ancestry Immigration
          and Naturalization subscription so I can try looking there too.
          Diane
        • declawed_duchess
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 11, 2006
            Try CastleGarden.org it's another site where they have immigration
            information and arrivals into America. And it's FREE

            Good Luck

            Duchie

            <justuses14@y...> wrote:

            > Hi, I have hit a stumbling block with the research of my fathers
            > grandparents John & Mary Sabol and son George. I have searched Ellis
            > Island with every date and name soundex and can not find them. I now
            > believe that they came to the states by way of Baltimore. The year
            was
            > between 1893-1897. They were from Austria or Hungry. I am trying to
            > find the name of the village they came from. I do know George was
            about
            > 3 when he came here. They lived in Hazleton, Pa ~ I have the census
            for
            > 1910-20. Hazleton is in Luzerne county. If someone with a paid
            ancestry
            > subscription could help me I would be grateful! Thank you for your
            > time. Sharon

          • Clark & Rita Pederson
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 12, 2006
              Remember that the two best free databases for immigration are Ellis Island
              and Castle Garden:

              But they cover just those people who immigrated through New York during the
              period of time each was used for processing immigrants:

              Ellis Island www.ellisisland.org

              Jan 1, 1892- Jun 15,1897, & Dec 17, 1900-1924

              Castle Garden www.castlegarden.org

              1855-1890 (Castle Garden is still working at adding another 2 million
              records from 1820-1892, so check back later also. They currently have 10
              million records)

              If your ancestors did not come through New York during those time periods
              you won't find them at those sites.

              In searching those sites due to potential misspelling of names in the
              indexing you might also want to use one of Steve Morse's search engines (it
              can also search both Ellis island and castle garden at once):

              http://stevemorse.org/ellis/passengers.php?mode=castle

              In the drop down menu it can search other ports of immigration or at least
              those records that have been indexed.

              Clark

              Oregon

              _____

              Try CastleGarden.org it's another site where they have immigration
              information and arrivals into America. And it's FREE

              Good Luck

              Duchie

            • Eric & Sharon Longo
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 13, 2006
                Hi Dutchie, Thanks for the info ~ I already searched with no luck!!! Sharon

                declawed_duchess <declawed_duchess@...> wrote: Try CastleGarden.org it's another site where they have immigration

                <justuses14@y...> wrote:

                > Hi, I have hit a stumbling block with the research of my fathers
                > grandparents John & Mary Sabol and son George. I have searched Ellis
                > Island with every date and name soundex and can not find them. I now
                > believe that they came to the states by way of Baltimore. The year
                was
                > between 1893-1897. They were from Austria or Hungry. I am trying to
                > find the name of the village they came from. I do know George was
                about
                > 3 when he came here. They lived in Hazleton, Pa ~ I have the census
                for
                > 1910-20. Hazleton is in Luzerne county. If someone with a paid
                ancestry
                > subscription could help me I would be grateful! Thank you for your
                > time. Sharon

              • tina lewis
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 14, 2006
                  For any member learning Lithuanian