RE: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: Not sure where to start

  • Clark & Rita Pederson
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 10, 2006
      Elizabeth:

      I believe when Duchie is asking you for timeline information she is asking
      for your grandmother's date of birth, date of marriage, spouse's name, date
      of death (thanks for providing that). It would also be helpful for the
      names of any brothers and sisters and parent's and their dates of birth or
      death. When doing a search on ancestry the more information the person
      has the more they can identify which of the many possibilities are actually
      your ancestors. And if one name in the family is very common or not
      indexed properly because the indexer couldn't read the census taker's
      handwriting or they used a different variation of their real name then the
      person helping you can try to locate the family using one of the other
      children's names. Knowing the dates of birth help determine which census
      they may be able to find a particular ancestor in. For anyone asking for
      help the best format I have found for a request is to give the details in a
      straight forward way such as:

      Looking for my grandmother-Name

      Date of Birth

      Location of Birth

      Date & Location of Death:

      Date & Location of Marriage:

      Spouse's Name & Date of Birth:

      Children Names and Dates of Birth

      Ancestor's parents Name and their information

      What piece of information are you looking for:

      Give as many details as possible and I believe your odds of getting someone
      to help is better and it makes it easier for the person helping you. If
      you don't have much information give as much as you have.

      Good Luck

      Clark

      Oregon

      _____

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 10, 2006
        Elizabeth

        I have some UK data bases (not sure if it will help, but we'll try)

        First and last names would help of your grandparents. I take it your
        grandmother lived in another country? Any information would help
        in starting.

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Duszak
        <hopestarrblue@y...> wrote:

        > That's great. I appreciate the assistance. However, I don't know
        what "time frame" to start with. I only know that my grandmother died
        in 2001 and the last time she was visiting in the US and staying with
        us was in 1987-1989.

        > Elizabeth
        >
        > declawed_duchess <declawed_duchess@y...> wrote:
        > Sure no problem. I have all the data bases on Ancestry.com.
        Just e-
        > mail the information (names) you would like searched and approx
        time
        > frames. I will post all the information I find for you.
        >
        > Duchie
        > sacslc@s...
        >
        > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth"
        > <hopestarrblue@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I'm here to get ideas on where to start and how to go about the
        whole
        > > geonology search. I know that my family names are Lach, Wlodarski
        and
        > > Duszak--all originating from Poland. I performed a search on
        > > Anscestry.com and found that my grandmother's name on my mother's
        > side
        > > is listed, but without registering, I may find a dead-end. I
        don't
        > > have the funds available to me to join many of these "premium"
        > > services. Is there anyone that can assist?
        > >
        > > Thank you.

        > General liability American generals Family
        genealogy Genealogy research Genealogy family tree Genealogy
        information

        Service.

        > ---------------------------------
        >

        > Elizabeth

      • Elizabeth Duszak
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 10, 2006
          Yes, my grandmother lived in Poland. Her name was Bronislawa Lach and she passed away August of 2001. Her maiden name would have been Wlodarski. I don't know what her husbands name was. My father's family name is Duszak and his name is Stanislaw Duszak, he was born 2/17/44. Would any of this information help?

          Please let me know.

          Thank you,

          <hopestarrblue@y...> wrote:

          > That's great. I appreciate the assistance. However, I don't know
          what "time frame" to start with. I only know that my grandmother died
          in 2001 and the last time she was visiting in the US and staying with
          us was in 1987-1989.

          > Elizabeth
          >
          > declawed_duchess <declawed_duchess@y...> wrote:
          > Sure no problem. I have all the data bases on Ancestry.com.
          Just e-
          > mail the information (names) you would like searched and approx
          time
          > frames. I will post all the information I find for you.
          >
          > Duchie
          > sacslc@s...
          >
          > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth"
          > <hopestarrblue@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm here to get ideas on where to start and how to go about the
          whole
          > > geonology search. I know that my family names are Lach, Wlodarski
          and
          > > Duszak--all originating from Poland. I performed a search on
          > > Anscestry.com and found that my grandmother's name on my mother's
          > side
          > > is listed, but without registering, I may find a dead-end. I
          don't
          > > have the funds available to me to join many of these "premium"
          > > services. Is there anyone that can assist?
          > >
          > > Thank you.

          > General liability American generals Family
          genealogy Genealogy research Genealogy family tree Genealogy
          information

          Service.

          > ---------------------------------
          >

          > Elizabeth

        • Clark & Rita Pederson
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 11, 2006
            Elizabeth:

            Here is what shows on ancestry.com:

            1) Social Security Death Index Information:

            Name: Bronislawa Lach

            SSN: 058-48-8013

            Last Residence: 11230 Brooklyn, Kings, New York

            Born: 16-Nov-14

            Died: 19-Aug-01

            State (Year) SSN issued: New York (1970 )

            2) Philadelphia Passenger Lists 1883-1945:

            Name: Bronislawa Lach

            Arrival Date: 5 July 1913

            Age: 20 years

            Estimated Birth 1893

            Gender: Female

            Eithnic Background Polish

            Port of Departure: Bremen, Germany

            Ship Name Frankfurt

            Port of Arrival: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

            Friend's Name: Francisek Lach

            Last Residence: Russia

            Birthplace: Dabrzanke, Russia

            Microfilm # 117

            The birthdate doesn't match. Could it be an ancestor for which your mother
            was named after??

            3) Ancestor World Tree:

            Name: Bronislawa Lach

            Date of Birth 24 Oct 1897

            Place of Birth Lodz, Poland

            Death 16 AUG 1987 in Kcynia, Poland

            Spouse: Leon Szczypiorski

            4) One World Tree:

            More entries with ancestors of Leon Szczypiorski

            Checking the Census for Wlodarski there doesn't seem to be a Bronislawa.
            Did she use another more Americanized name also? Do you know any brother
            or sister's names or her parent's name?

            In 1930 there is a Helen born in 1914 living in Charlton, Saratoga, New
            York with a sister Jane and parents Eleanor & Theodore Wlodarski

            Clark

            Oregon

            Yes, my grandmother lived in Poland. Her name was Bronislawa Lach and she
            passed away August of 2001. Her maiden name would have been Wlodarski. I
            don't know what her husbands name was. My father's family name is Duszak
            and his name is Stanislaw Duszak, he was born 2/17/44. Would any of this
            information help?

            Please let me know.

            Thank you,
            Elizabeth

            > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth"
            > <hopestarrblue@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I'm here to get ideas on where to start and how to go about the
            whole
            > > geonology search. I know that my family names are Lach, Wlodarski
            and
            > > Duszak--all originating from Poland. I performed a search on
            > > Anscestry.com and found that my grandmother's name on my mother's
            > side
            > > is listed, but without registering, I may find a dead-end. I
            don't
            > > have the funds available to me to join many of these "premium"
            > > services. Is there anyone that can assist?
            > >
            > > Thank you.

            > Elizabeth

          • angela
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 11, 2006
              Your public library has premium access to ancestry.com. Thats a great
              place to start. Another thing is to check ancestr.com msg boards.
              Thats free. I found out that one person on my famlily tree has a ton
              of people looking for the same info. You can also do the same on
              genealogy.com. Another thing is do an exact search on google or
              another search engine. Put quotes around a name and see if that name
              appears in any web pages.
              Hope this helps

              <hopestarrblue@y...> wrote:

              > I'm here to get ideas on where to start and how to go about the whole
              > geonology search. I know that my family names are Lach, Wlodarski and
              > Duszak--all originating from Poland. I performed a search on
              > Anscestry.com and found that my grandmother's name on my mother's side
              > is listed, but without registering, I may find a dead-end. I don't
              > have the funds available to me to join many of these "premium"
              > services. Is there anyone that can assist?
              >
              > Thank you.

            • Elizabeth Duszak

                Yes, my grandmother lived in Poland. Her name was Bronislawa Lach and she
                passed away August of 2001. Her maiden name would have been Wlodarski. I
                don't know what her husbands name was. My father's family name is Duszak
                and his name is Stanislaw Duszak, he was born 2/17/44. Would any of this
                information help?

                Please let me know.

                Thank you,
                Elizabeth

                > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth"
                > <hopestarrblue@y...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I'm here to get ideas on where to start and how to go about the
                whole
                > > geonology search. I know that my family names are Lach, Wlodarski
                and
                > > Duszak--all originating from Poland. I performed a search on
                > > Anscestry.com and found that my grandmother's name on my mother's
                > side
                > > is listed, but without registering, I may find a dead-end. I
                don't
                > > have the funds available to me to join many of these "premium"
                > > services. Is there anyone that can assist?
                > >
                > > Thank you.

                > Elizabeth

              • Tina
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 12, 2006
                  Hello Elizabeth!!

                  I had some good luck with the phone books.
                  Such as the Lithuanian Phone book.
                  I found many Joneikis there. I did write many. But I found that many
                  cannot speak English. So I figure the letters where thrown out.
                  Im sure they have the Poland Phone books on the net also.

                  I Got alot of information with the German Government Archives.
                  But for a fee.
                  Also a letter from the Lithuanian Archive. They wanted a fee also. I
                  did not pay it though. At least not yet.
                  For any Lithuanian researching
                  there address to the archive is
                  Lietuvos Valstybes
                  Istorijos Archyvas
                  Gerosios Vilties 10 2009 Vilnius
                  Lietuves Republic Lithuania
                  Not sure if it changed because I got the letter 5 years ago.
                  Tina:)
                  I love to research!!