Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: Not sure where to start

  • Elizabeth Duszak
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 9, 2006
      That's great. I appreciate the assistance. However, I don't know what "time frame" to start with. I only know that my grandmother died in 2001 and the last time she was visiting in the US and staying with us was in 1987-1989.

      Elizabeth

      declawed_duchess <declawed_duchess@...> wrote:
      Sure no problem. I have all the data bases on Ancestry.com. Just e-
      mail the information (names) you would like searched and approx time
      frames. I will post all the information I find for you.

      Duchie
      sacslc@...

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth"
      <hopestarrblue@y...> wrote:

      > I'm here to get ideas on where to start and how to go about the whole
      > geonology search. I know that my family names are Lach, Wlodarski and
      > Duszak--all originating from Poland. I performed a search on
      > Anscestry.com and found that my grandmother's name on my mother's
      side
      > is listed, but without registering, I may find a dead-end. I don't
      > have the funds available to me to join many of these "premium"
      > services. Is there anyone that can assist?
      >
      > Thank you.

      Elizabeth

    • Clark & Rita Pederson
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 10, 2006
        Elizabeth:

        I believe when Duchie is asking you for timeline information she is asking
        for your grandmother's date of birth, date of marriage, spouse's name, date
        of death (thanks for providing that). It would also be helpful for the
        names of any brothers and sisters and parent's and their dates of birth or
        death. When doing a search on ancestry the more information the person
        has the more they can identify which of the many possibilities are actually
        your ancestors. And if one name in the family is very common or not
        indexed properly because the indexer couldn't read the census taker's
        handwriting or they used a different variation of their real name then the
        person helping you can try to locate the family using one of the other
        children's names. Knowing the dates of birth help determine which census
        they may be able to find a particular ancestor in. For anyone asking for
        help the best format I have found for a request is to give the details in a
        straight forward way such as:

        Looking for my grandmother-Name

        Date of Birth

        Location of Birth

        Date & Location of Death:

        Date & Location of Marriage:

        Spouse's Name & Date of Birth:

        Children Names and Dates of Birth

        Ancestor's parents Name and their information

        What piece of information are you looking for:

        Give as many details as possible and I believe your odds of getting someone
        to help is better and it makes it easier for the person helping you. If
        you don't have much information give as much as you have.

        Good Luck

        Clark

        Oregon

        _____

        <hopestarrblue@y...> wrote:

        > I'm here to get ideas on where to start and how to go about the whole
        > geonology search. I know that my family names are Lach, Wlodarski and
        > Duszak--all originating from Poland. I performed a search on
        > Anscestry.com and found that my grandmother's name on my mother's
        side
        > is listed, but without registering, I may find a dead-end. I don't
        > have the funds available to me to join many of these "premium"
        > services. Is there anyone that can assist?
        >
        > Thank you.

        http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408
        <http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408&siteid=18621718>
        &siteid=18621718

        General liability American generals Family genealogy
        Genealogy research Genealogy family tree Genealogy information

        Elizabeth

        http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408
        <http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408&siteid=18621718>
        &siteid=18621718

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "genealogyresearchclub
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genealogyresearchclub> " on the web.

        be>

        _____

      • declawed_duchess
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 10, 2006
          Elizabeth

          I have some UK data bases (not sure if it will help, but we'll try)

          First and last names would help of your grandparents. I take it your
          grandmother lived in another country? Any information would help
          in starting.

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Duszak
          <hopestarrblue@y...> wrote:

          > That's great. I appreciate the assistance. However, I don't know
          what "time frame" to start with. I only know that my grandmother died
          in 2001 and the last time she was visiting in the US and staying with
          us was in 1987-1989.

          > Elizabeth
          >
          > declawed_duchess <declawed_duchess@y...> wrote:
          > Sure no problem. I have all the data bases on Ancestry.com.
          Just e-
          > mail the information (names) you would like searched and approx
          time
          > frames. I will post all the information I find for you.
          >
          > Duchie
          > sacslc@s...
          >
          > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth"
          > <hopestarrblue@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm here to get ideas on where to start and how to go about the
          whole
          > > geonology search. I know that my family names are Lach, Wlodarski
          and
          > > Duszak--all originating from Poland. I performed a search on
          > > Anscestry.com and found that my grandmother's name on my mother's
          > side
          > > is listed, but without registering, I may find a dead-end. I
          don't
          > > have the funds available to me to join many of these "premium"
          > > services. Is there anyone that can assist?
          > >
          > > Thank you.

          > General liability American generals Family
          genealogy Genealogy research Genealogy family tree Genealogy
          information

          Service.

          > ---------------------------------
          >

          > Elizabeth

        • Elizabeth Duszak
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 10, 2006
            Yes, my grandmother lived in Poland. Her name was Bronislawa Lach and she passed away August of 2001. Her maiden name would have been Wlodarski. I don't know what her husbands name was. My father's family name is Duszak and his name is Stanislaw Duszak, he was born 2/17/44. Would any of this information help?

            Please let me know.

            <hopestarrblue@y...> wrote:

            > That's great. I appreciate the assistance. However, I don't know
            what "time frame" to start with. I only know that my grandmother died
            in 2001 and the last time she was visiting in the US and staying with
            us was in 1987-1989.

            > Elizabeth
            >
            > declawed_duchess <declawed_duchess@y...> wrote:
            > Sure no problem. I have all the data bases on Ancestry.com.
            Just e-
            > mail the information (names) you would like searched and approx
            time
            > frames. I will post all the information I find for you.
            >
            > Duchie
            > sacslc@s...
            >
            > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth"
            > <hopestarrblue@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I'm here to get ideas on where to start and how to go about the
            whole
            > > geonology search. I know that my family names are Lach, Wlodarski
            and
            > > Duszak--all originating from Poland. I performed a search on
            > > Anscestry.com and found that my grandmother's name on my mother's
            > side
            > > is listed, but without registering, I may find a dead-end. I
            don't
            > > have the funds available to me to join many of these "premium"
            > > services. Is there anyone that can assist?
            > >
            > > Thank you.

            > General liability American generals Family
            genealogy Genealogy research Genealogy family tree Genealogy
            information

            Service.

            > ---------------------------------
            >

            > Elizabeth

          • Clark & Rita Pederson
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 11, 2006
              Elizabeth:

              Here is what shows on ancestry.com:

              1) Social Security Death Index Information:

              Name: Bronislawa Lach

              SSN: 058-48-8013

              Last Residence: 11230 Brooklyn, Kings, New York

              Born: 16-Nov-14

              Died: 19-Aug-01

              State (Year) SSN issued: New York (1970 )

              2) Philadelphia Passenger Lists 1883-1945:

              Name: Bronislawa Lach

              Arrival Date: 5 July 1913

              Age: 20 years

              Estimated Birth 1893

              Gender: Female

              Eithnic Background Polish

              Port of Departure: Bremen, Germany

              Ship Name Frankfurt

              Port of Arrival: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

              Friend's Name: Francisek Lach

              Last Residence: Russia

              Birthplace: Dabrzanke, Russia

              Microfilm # 117

              The birthdate doesn't match. Could it be an ancestor for which your mother
              was named after??

              3) Ancestor World Tree:

              Name: Bronislawa Lach

              Date of Birth 24 Oct 1897

              Place of Birth Lodz, Poland

              Death 16 AUG 1987 in Kcynia, Poland

              Spouse: Leon Szczypiorski

              4) One World Tree:

              More entries with ancestors of Leon Szczypiorski

              Checking the Census for Wlodarski there doesn't seem to be a Bronislawa.
              Did she use another more Americanized name also? Do you know any brother
              or sister's names or her parent's name?

              In 1930 there is a Helen born in 1914 living in Charlton, Saratoga, New
              York with a sister Jane and parents Eleanor & Theodore Wlodarski

              Clark

              Oregon

              Yes, my grandmother lived in Poland. Her name was Bronislawa Lach and she
              passed away August of 2001. Her maiden name would have been Wlodarski. I
              don't know what her husbands name was. My father's family name is Duszak
              and his name is Stanislaw Duszak, he was born 2/17/44. Would any of this
              information help?

              Please let me know.

              Thank you,
              Elizabeth

              > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth"
              > <hopestarrblue@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I'm here to get ideas on where to start and how to go about the
              whole
              > > geonology search. I know that my family names are Lach, Wlodarski
              and
              > > Duszak--all originating from Poland. I performed a search on
              > > Anscestry.com and found that my grandmother's name on my mother's
              > side
              > > is listed, but without registering, I may find a dead-end. I
              don't
              > > have the funds available to me to join many of these "premium"
              > > services. Is there anyone that can assist?
              > >
              > > Thank you.

              > Elizabeth

            • angela
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 11, 2006
                Your public library has premium access to ancestry.com. Thats a great
                place to start. Another thing is to check ancestr.com msg boards.
                Thats free. I found out that one person on my famlily tree has a ton
                of people looking for the same info. You can also do the same on
                genealogy.com. Another thing is do an exact search on google or
                another search engine. Put quotes around a name and see if that name
                appears in any web pages.
                Hope this helps

                <hopestarrblue@y...> wrote:

                > I'm here to get ideas on where to start and how to go about the whole
                > geonology search. I know that my family names are Lach, Wlodarski and
                > Duszak--all originating from Poland. I performed a search on
                > Anscestry.com and found that my grandmother's name on my mother's side
                > is listed, but without registering, I may find a dead-end. I don't
                > have the funds available to me to join many of these "premium"
                > services. Is there anyone that can assist?
                >
                > Thank you.

              • Elizabeth Duszak

                  Yes, my grandmother lived in Poland. Her name was Bronislawa Lach and she
                  passed away August of 2001. Her maiden name would have been Wlodarski. I
                  don't know what her husbands name was. My father's family name is Duszak
                  and his name is Stanislaw Duszak, he was born 2/17/44. Would any of this
                  information help?

                  Please let me know.

                  Thank you,
                  Elizabeth

                  > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth"
                  > <hopestarrblue@y...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I'm here to get ideas on where to start and how to go about the
                  whole
                  > > geonology search. I know that my family names are Lach, Wlodarski
                  and
                  > > Duszak--all originating from Poland. I performed a search on
                  > > Anscestry.com and found that my grandmother's name on my mother's
                  > side
                  > > is listed, but without registering, I may find a dead-end. I
                  don't
                  > > have the funds available to me to join many of these "premium"
                  > > services. Is there anyone that can assist?
                  > >
                  > > Thank you.

                  > Elizabeth

                • Tina
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 12, 2006
                    Hello Elizabeth!!

                    I had some good luck with the phone books.
                    Such as the Lithuanian Phone book.
                    I found many Joneikis there. I did write many. But I found that many
                    cannot speak English. So I figure the letters where thrown out.
                    Im sure they have the Poland Phone books on the net also.

                    I Got alot of information with the German Government Archives.
                    But for a fee.
                    Also a letter from the Lithuanian Archive. They wanted a fee also. I
                    did not pay it though. At least not yet.
                    For any Lithuanian researching
                    there address to the archive is
                    Lietuvos Valstybes
                    Istorijos Archyvas
                    Gerosios Vilties 10 2009 Vilnius
                    Lietuves Republic Lithuania
                    Not sure if it changed because I got the letter 5 years ago.
                    Tina:)
                    I love to research!!