Michelsdorf, Romania or Hungary?

  • Linley Sinnott
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 8, 2006
      Hi,
      A friend of mine is having trouble with her genealogy. Some people say that Michelsdorf is in Hungary and others say that it is in Romania.
      I believe it is near Transylvania. The boundaries may have changed in a certain year or someone is completely wrong.
      I know the name has changed.

      In 1884 Stefan Konig was born in Michelsdorf, Romania but was it Michelsdorf, Hungary back then or what. These boundaries for certain years are really annoying.

      Linley

    • Heidi Graf
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 9, 2006
        Hello!

        Michelsdorf is the old name for the village Straz'e pod Tatrami, which is situated about 2 miles east of town Poprad. Michelsdorf was originally a part of the Austro-Hungarian empire. Straz'e pod Tatrami became a part of Poprad in 1960. I believe it may have been part of the Czech Republic at one point, but presently it's in Slovakia.

        "Michelsdorf became mainly Slovak in the 19th century, and in 1930, of 761 inhabitants, 509 identified as ethnic Slovaks (though often of German ancestry), 198 as ethnic Germans, and 3 as Magyars. It is important to know, for the records, if your ancestor was Catholic or Lutheran. The Mormons microfilmed in 1992 many church records from the archives in Leutschau, but from using these microfilms I sense that they had more Lutheran (Evangelisch) records than Catholic ones available."

        Hope this helps,
        Heidi

        Linley Sinnott <lotusloversau@...> wrote: Hi,

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 29, 2006
          Sorry that I am replying late. Thanks for that information and It does help a fair bit.

          Linley

          Heidi Graf <familybranchesgenealogy@...> wrote:
[...]

          Linley Sinnott wrote: Hi,
          A friend of mine is having trouble with her genealogy. Some people say that Michelsdorf is in Hungary and others say that it is in Romania.
          I believe it is near Transylvania. The boundaries may have changed in a certain year or someone is completely wrong.
          I know the name has changed.

          In 1884 Stefan Konig was born in Michelsdorf, Romania but was it Michelsdorf, Hungary back then or what. These boundaries for certain years are really annoying.

          Linley

          Yahoo! Groups Links