Not sure where to start

  • Elizabeth
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 8, 2006
      I'm here to get ideas on where to start and how to go about the whole
      geonology search. I know that my family names are Lach, Wlodarski and
      Duszak--all originating from Poland. I performed a search on
      Anscestry.com and found that my grandmother's name on my mother's side
      is listed, but without registering, I may find a dead-end. I don't
      have the funds available to me to join many of these "premium"
      services. Is there anyone that can assist?

      Thank you.
    • declawed_duchess
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 9, 2006
        Sure no problem. I have all the data bases on Ancestry.com. Just e-
        mail the information (names) you would like searched and approx time
        frames. I will post all the information I find for you.

        Duchie
        sacslc@...

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth"
        <hopestarrblue@y...> wrote:

        > I'm here to get ideas on where to start and how to go about the whole
        > geonology search. I know that my family names are Lach, Wlodarski and
        > Duszak--all originating from Poland. I performed a search on
        > Anscestry.com and found that my grandmother's name on my mother's
        side
        > is listed, but without registering, I may find a dead-end. I don't
        > have the funds available to me to join many of these "premium"
        > services. Is there anyone that can assist?
        >
        > Thank you.

      • Elizabeth Duszak
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 9, 2006
          That's great. I appreciate the assistance. However, I don't know what "time frame" to start with. I only know that my grandmother died in 2001 and the last time she was visiting in the US and staying with us was in 1987-1989.

          Elizabeth

          <hopestarrblue@y...> wrote:

          > I'm here to get ideas on where to start and how to go about the whole
          > geonology search. I know that my family names are Lach, Wlodarski and
          > Duszak--all originating from Poland. I performed a search on
          > Anscestry.com and found that my grandmother's name on my mother's
          side
          > is listed, but without registering, I may find a dead-end. I don't
          > have the funds available to me to join many of these "premium"
          > services. Is there anyone that can assist?
          >
          > Thank you.

          Elizabeth

        • Clark & Rita Pederson
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 10, 2006
            Elizabeth:

            I believe when Duchie is asking you for timeline information she is asking
            for your grandmother's date of birth, date of marriage, spouse's name, date
            of death (thanks for providing that). It would also be helpful for the
            names of any brothers and sisters and parent's and their dates of birth or
            death. When doing a search on ancestry the more information the person
            has the more they can identify which of the many possibilities are actually
            your ancestors. And if one name in the family is very common or not
            indexed properly because the indexer couldn't read the census taker's
            handwriting or they used a different variation of their real name then the
            person helping you can try to locate the family using one of the other
            children's names. Knowing the dates of birth help determine which census
            they may be able to find a particular ancestor in. For anyone asking for
            help the best format I have found for a request is to give the details in a
            straight forward way such as:

            Looking for my grandmother-Name

            Date of Birth

            Location of Birth

            Date & Location of Death:

            Date & Location of Marriage:

            Spouse's Name & Date of Birth:

            Children Names and Dates of Birth

            Ancestor's parents Name and their information

            What piece of information are you looking for:

            Give as many details as possible and I believe your odds of getting someone
            to help is better and it makes it easier for the person helping you. If
            you don't have much information give as much as you have.

            Good Luck

            Clark

            Oregon

            _____

            <hopestarrblue@y...> wrote:

            > I'm here to get ideas on where to start and how to go about the whole
            > geonology search. I know that my family names are Lach, Wlodarski and
            > Duszak--all originating from Poland. I performed a search on
            > Anscestry.com and found that my grandmother's name on my mother's
            side
            > is listed, but without registering, I may find a dead-end. I don't
            > have the funds available to me to join many of these "premium"
            > services. Is there anyone that can assist?
            >
            > Thank you.

            http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408
            <http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408&siteid=18621718>
            &siteid=18621718

            General liability American generals Family genealogy
            Genealogy research Genealogy family tree Genealogy information

            Elizabeth

            http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408
            <http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408&siteid=18621718>
            &siteid=18621718

            _____

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            * Visit your group "genealogyresearchclub
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genealogyresearchclub> " on the web.

            be>

            _____

          • declawed_duchess
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 10, 2006
              Elizabeth

              I have some UK data bases (not sure if it will help, but we'll try)

              First and last names would help of your grandparents. I take it your
              grandmother lived in another country? Any information would help
              in starting.

              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Duszak
              <hopestarrblue@y...> wrote:

              > That's great. I appreciate the assistance. However, I don't know
              what "time frame" to start with. I only know that my grandmother died
              in 2001 and the last time she was visiting in the US and staying with
              us was in 1987-1989.

              > Elizabeth
              >
              > declawed_duchess <declawed_duchess@y...> wrote:
              > Sure no problem. I have all the data bases on Ancestry.com.
              Just e-
              > mail the information (names) you would like searched and approx
              time
              > frames. I will post all the information I find for you.
              >
              > Duchie
              > sacslc@s...
              >
              > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth"
              > <hopestarrblue@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I'm here to get ideas on where to start and how to go about the
              whole
              > > geonology search. I know that my family names are Lach, Wlodarski
              and
              > > Duszak--all originating from Poland. I performed a search on
              > > Anscestry.com and found that my grandmother's name on my mother's
              > side
              > > is listed, but without registering, I may find a dead-end. I
              don't
              > > have the funds available to me to join many of these "premium"
              > > services. Is there anyone that can assist?
              > >
              > > Thank you.

              > General liability American generals Family
              genealogy Genealogy research Genealogy family tree Genealogy
              information

              Service.

              > ---------------------------------
              >

              > Elizabeth

            • Elizabeth Duszak
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 10, 2006
                Yes, my grandmother lived in Poland. Her name was Bronislawa Lach and she passed away August of 2001. Her maiden name would have been Wlodarski. I don't know what her husbands name was. My father's family name is Duszak and his name is Stanislaw Duszak, he was born 2/17/44. Would any of this information help?

                Please let me know.

                <hopestarrblue@y...> wrote:

                > That's great. I appreciate the assistance. However, I don't know
                what "time frame" to start with. I only know that my grandmother died
                in 2001 and the last time she was visiting in the US and staying with
                us was in 1987-1989.

                > Elizabeth
                >
                > declawed_duchess <declawed_duchess@y...> wrote:
                > Sure no problem. I have all the data bases on Ancestry.com.
                Just e-
                > mail the information (names) you would like searched and approx
                time
                > frames. I will post all the information I find for you.
                >
                > Duchie
                > sacslc@s...
                >
                > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth"
                > <hopestarrblue@y...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I'm here to get ideas on where to start and how to go about the
                whole
                > > geonology search. I know that my family names are Lach, Wlodarski
                and
                > > Duszak--all originating from Poland. I performed a search on
                > > Anscestry.com and found that my grandmother's name on my mother's
                > side
                > > is listed, but without registering, I may find a dead-end. I
                don't
                > > have the funds available to me to join many of these "premium"
                > > services. Is there anyone that can assist?
                > >
                > > Thank you.

                > General liability American generals Family
                genealogy Genealogy research Genealogy family tree Genealogy
                information

                Service.

                > ---------------------------------
                >

                > Elizabeth

              • Clark & Rita Pederson
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 11, 2006
                  Elizabeth:

                  Here is what shows on ancestry.com:

                  1) Social Security Death Index Information:

                  Name: Bronislawa Lach

                  SSN: 058-48-8013

                  Last Residence: 11230 Brooklyn, Kings, New York

                  Born: 16-Nov-14

                  Died: 19-Aug-01

                  State (Year) SSN issued: New York (1970 )

                  2) Philadelphia Passenger Lists 1883-1945:

                  Name: Bronislawa Lach

                  Arrival Date: 5 July 1913

                  Age: 20 years

                  Estimated Birth 1893

                  Gender: Female

                  Eithnic Background Polish

                  Port of Departure: Bremen, Germany

                  Ship Name Frankfurt

                  Port of Arrival: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

                  Friend's Name: Francisek Lach

                  Last Residence: Russia

                  Birthplace: Dabrzanke, Russia

                  Microfilm # 117

                  The birthdate doesn't match. Could it be an ancestor for which your mother
                  was named after??

                  3) Ancestor World Tree:

                  Name: Bronislawa Lach

                  Date of Birth 24 Oct 1897

                  Place of Birth Lodz, Poland

                  Death 16 AUG 1987 in Kcynia, Poland

                  Spouse: Leon Szczypiorski

                  4) One World Tree:

                  More entries with ancestors of Leon Szczypiorski

                  Checking the Census for Wlodarski there doesn't seem to be a Bronislawa.
                  Did she use another more Americanized name also? Do you know any brother
                  or sister's names or her parent's name?

                  In 1930 there is a Helen born in 1914 living in Charlton, Saratoga, New
                  York with a sister Jane and parents Eleanor & Theodore Wlodarski

                  Clark

                  Oregon

                  Yes, my grandmother lived in Poland. Her name was Bronislawa Lach and she
                  passed away August of 2001. Her maiden name would have been Wlodarski. I
                  don't know what her husbands name was. My father's family name is Duszak
                  and his name is Stanislaw Duszak, he was born 2/17/44. Would any of this
                  information help?

                  Please let me know.

                  Thank you,
                  Elizabeth

                  > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth"
                  > <hopestarrblue@y...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I'm here to get ideas on where to start and how to go about the
                  whole
                  > > geonology search. I know that my family names are Lach, Wlodarski
                  and
                  > > Duszak--all originating from Poland. I performed a search on
                  > > Anscestry.com and found that my grandmother's name on my mother's
                  > side
                  > > is listed, but without registering, I may find a dead-end. I
                  don't
                  > > have the funds available to me to join many of these "premium"
                  > > services. Is there anyone that can assist?
                  > >
                  > > Thank you.

                  > Elizabeth

                • angela
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 11, 2006
                    Your public library has premium access to ancestry.com. Thats a great
                    place to start. Another thing is to check ancestr.com msg boards.
                    Thats free. I found out that one person on my famlily tree has a ton
                    of people looking for the same info. You can also do the same on
                    genealogy.com. Another thing is do an exact search on google or
                    another search engine. Put quotes around a name and see if that name
                    appears in any web pages.
                    Hope this helps

                    <hopestarrblue@y...> wrote:

                    > I'm here to get ideas on where to start and how to go about the whole
                    > geonology search. I know that my family names are Lach, Wlodarski and
                    > Duszak--all originating from Poland. I performed a search on
                    > Anscestry.com and found that my grandmother's name on my mother's side
                    > is listed, but without registering, I may find a dead-end. I don't
                    > have the funds available to me to join many of these "premium"
                    > services. Is there anyone that can assist?
                    >
                    > Thank you.

                  • Elizabeth Duszak

                      Yes, my grandmother lived in Poland. Her name was Bronislawa Lach and she
                      passed away August of 2001. Her maiden name would have been Wlodarski. I
                      don't know what her husbands name was. My father's family name is Duszak
                      and his name is Stanislaw Duszak, he was born 2/17/44. Would any of this
                      information help?

                      Please let me know.

                      Thank you,
                      Elizabeth

                      > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth"
                      > <hopestarrblue@y...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I'm here to get ideas on where to start and how to go about the
                      whole
                      > > geonology search. I know that my family names are Lach, Wlodarski
                      and
                      > > Duszak--all originating from Poland. I performed a search on
                      > > Anscestry.com and found that my grandmother's name on my mother's
                      > side
                      > > is listed, but without registering, I may find a dead-end. I
                      don't
                      > > have the funds available to me to join many of these "premium"
                      > > services. Is there anyone that can assist?
                      > >
                      > > Thank you.

                      > Elizabeth

                    • Tina
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 12, 2006
                        Hello Elizabeth!!

                        I had some good luck with the phone books.
                        Such as the Lithuanian Phone book.
                        I found many Joneikis there. I did write many. But I found that many
                        cannot speak English. So I figure the letters where thrown out.
                        Im sure they have the Poland Phone books on the net also.

                        I Got alot of information with the German Government Archives.
                        But for a fee.
                        Also a letter from the Lithuanian Archive. They wanted a fee also. I
                        did not pay it though. At least not yet.
                        For any Lithuanian researching
                        there address to the archive is
                        Lietuvos Valstybes
                        Istorijos Archyvas
                        Gerosios Vilties 10 2009 Vilnius
                        Lietuves Republic Lithuania
                        Not sure if it changed because I got the letter 5 years ago.
                        Tina:)
                        I love to research!!