[Genealogy Research Club] Re: Cortright

  • declawed_duchess
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 7, 2006
      Oh sure Jamie no problem. I subscribe to Ancestry.com and have all
      their data basis. In that data base includes actual books that were
      written and placed on line. When I entered the Cortright name, I
      got 2 books for that family. It'll then direct you to the specific
      pages for your search. Pretty easy and lots to read but it's fun.
      If you don't subscribe, I can get the information for you. If you
      want the books directly about the Cortright family there's a site
      where you can order books of certain family names. I'll see if they
      have the cortright family there and post the url to you.

      Duchie

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Jamie Buckman
      <jclove001@y...> wrote:

      > Hi Duchie,
      > Can you perhaps tell me how you got or where you
      got this information that way I dont keep bothering you

      > declawed_duchess <declawed_duchess@y...> wrote:
      > Jamie -
      >
      > No problem. If you need more information, please just let me know
      > and I'll pull what I can for you.
      >
      > Duchie
      >
      > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Jamie Buckman
      > <jclove001@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thank you so much. It helps more than you know. My grandfather
      > passed away a few years ago(4) and he had started doing this and
      > never had the chance to finish it. It broke my heart that he
      couldnt
      > finish. So again thank you so much
      > >
      > > declawed_duchess <declawed_duchess@y...> wrote: Hi Jamie -
      > >
      > > I'm new to this site and decided to join. I love researching
      and
      > the
      > > information you were looking for pretty easily. There's 2 books
      > about
      > > the Courtright/Kortright/Kortryk family. Basically, the
      brothers
      > came
      > > from Kortryk (in French, Courtrai) which is "situated twenty-six
      > miles
      > > Southwest of Ghent, on the river Lys, in the Province of West
      > Flanders,
      > > Belgium". Please keep in mind that alot of families took the
      name
      > of
      > > the town or province where they originated.
      > >
      > > The following information comes directly from the book "The
      > Courtright
      > > Family"
      > >
      > > "Proceeding to Amsterdam, they all embarked April 16, 1663, in
      the
      > ship
      > > Bonte-koe (Brindle or Spotted Cow), Jan Bergen, Master, in which
      > ship
      > > there also sailed several French refugees from Mannheim in the
      > > Palatinate. Men, women and children, there were ninety odd
      > passengers,
      > > the French composing a third. Each adult was charged 39
      florins,
      > > children under ten, half price, and it cost Jan Bastiaensen
      > (Kortright)
      > > for himself, wife and family, 204 florins, 10 stivers.
      > >
      > > The Bastiaensen brothers, upon their arrival, first went to
      > > Stuyvestants's Bowery, though they soon after came to Harlem.
      > >
      > > Jan was the "Kortryck" who owned a Bouwery on Staten Island in
      > 1674.
      > > (N.Y. Col. Mss, XXIII, 403). He spent part of his time at
      Harlem,
      > but
      > > is last mentioned there Jan. 8th, 1677, when he is witness to a
      > power
      > > of attorney, given by his old Schoonrewoerd friend, Jan Louwe
      > Bogert.
      > >
      > > His children were Cornelius, born 1645, Hendrick, 1648, Laurens,
      > 1651,
      > > and Belitie, 1659, who was, as were the others, "uit Holland"
      and
      > who
      > > married, December 8th, 1678, Jacob Jansen Decker, of Esopus,
      > whither
      > > her brother Hendrick had gone to live.
      > >
      > > Michiel Bastiaensen, who came in 1663, with his wife and
      children,
      > the
      > > first four born in the town of Schoonrewoerd, in Gelderland,
      > Holland,
      > > lived several years at Harlem, but on May 1st, 1669, leased a
      farm
      > from
      > > John Archer, at Fordham, for five years, and on Jan. 1st, 1675,
      > with
      > > his son-in-law, Hendrick Kiersen, hired from the widow Tourneur
      > her
      > > farm upon Jochin Pieters and Van Keulens Hook, with house, barn,
      > > orchard, meadows, stock and tools, for three years from May 1st,
      > > ensuing.
      > >
      > > On Oct. 26th, 1677, they leased 74 acres of land at Spuyten
      Duyvel
      > from
      > > Jan Dyckman and Jan Nagel, for a term of twelve years, agreeing
      > pay
      > > each a hen for the first seven years, 150 guilders for the next
      > three
      > > years, and for the last two year, 200 guilders.
      > >
      > > This was the first successful effort to make improvements in
      that
      > > section of Manhattan Island, on which there was not another
      white
      > man's
      > > hearthstone north of Harlem village.
      > >
      > > In October, 1673, he was elected a magistrate at Fordham, and
      was
      > on
      > > the roll of the Night Watch at Harlem, as well as being
      identified
      > with
      > > the Duth church there.
      > >
      > > His children were Reyer, born 1653; Metje, 1655, married
      Hendrick
      > > Kiersen; Annetie, 1658, married John Odell (ancestor of the
      > Fordham
      > > Odells); Bastiaen, 1662, and Aefie, 1665, born in New York, who
      > married
      > > Jacques Tourneur."
      > >
      > > I Hope this helps a little!!!
      > >
      > > Duchie
      > >

      > > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Jamie"
      > <jclove001@y...>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi I am new to the site and would like some help if possible.
      > The
      > > only
      > > > information I know is that my family immigrated from Belgium
      > around
      > > the
      > > > 1600's. I know this is going to sound funny but the name of
      the
      > ship
      > > > they came over on was The Spotted Cow. I believe that it was
      two
      > > > brothers that came over. The spelling of the name was much
      > different
      > > at
      > > > that point. It was Korjyk. If anyone has any information that
      > they
      > > > could possibly share that would be great. Or if anyone could
      > possibly
      > > > tell me how to get started that would be doubly great. My name
      > is
      > > Jamie
      > > > (Cortright)Buckman. Thank you in advance
      > > >

      > > Searching for your ancestry? You'll find great help at
      Ancestry.Com

      > > http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?
      bfmid=5647408&siteid=18621718

      > > General liability American generals Family
      > genealogy Genealogy research Genealogy family tree
      Genealogy