[Genealogy Research Club] Re: Cortright

  • declawed_duchess
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 6, 2006
      Jamie -

      No problem. If you need more information, please just let me know
      and I'll pull what I can for you.

      Duchie

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Jamie Buckman
      <jclove001@y...> wrote:

      > Thank you so much. It helps more than you know. My grandfather
      passed away a few years ago(4) and he had started doing this and
      never had the chance to finish it. It broke my heart that he couldnt
      finish. So again thank you so much

      > declawed_duchess <declawed_duchess@y...> wrote: Hi Jamie -
      >
      > I'm new to this site and decided to join. I love researching and
      the
      > information you were looking for pretty easily. There's 2 books
      about
      > the Courtright/Kortright/Kortryk family. Basically, the brothers
      came
      > from Kortryk (in French, Courtrai) which is "situated twenty-six
      miles
      > Southwest of Ghent, on the river Lys, in the Province of West
      Flanders,
      > Belgium". Please keep in mind that alot of families took the name
      of
      > the town or province where they originated.
      >
      > The following information comes directly from the book "The
      Courtright
      > Family"
      >
      > "Proceeding to Amsterdam, they all embarked April 16, 1663, in the
      ship
      > Bonte-koe (Brindle or Spotted Cow), Jan Bergen, Master, in which
      ship
      > there also sailed several French refugees from Mannheim in the
      > Palatinate. Men, women and children, there were ninety odd
      passengers,
      > the French composing a third. Each adult was charged 39 florins,
      > children under ten, half price, and it cost Jan Bastiaensen
      (Kortright)
      > for himself, wife and family, 204 florins, 10 stivers.
      >
      > The Bastiaensen brothers, upon their arrival, first went to
      > Stuyvestants's Bowery, though they soon after came to Harlem.
      >
      > Jan was the "Kortryck" who owned a Bouwery on Staten Island in
      1674.
      > (N.Y. Col. Mss, XXIII, 403). He spent part of his time at Harlem,
      but
      > is last mentioned there Jan. 8th, 1677, when he is witness to a
      power
      > of attorney, given by his old Schoonrewoerd friend, Jan Louwe
      Bogert.

      > His children were Cornelius, born 1645, Hendrick, 1648, Laurens,
      1651,
      > and Belitie, 1659, who was, as were the others, "uit Holland" and
      who
      > married, December 8th, 1678, Jacob Jansen Decker, of Esopus,
      whither
      > her brother Hendrick had gone to live.
      >
      > Michiel Bastiaensen, who came in 1663, with his wife and children,
      the
      > first four born in the town of Schoonrewoerd, in Gelderland,
      Holland,
      > lived several years at Harlem, but on May 1st, 1669, leased a farm
      from
      > John Archer, at Fordham, for five years, and on Jan. 1st, 1675,
      with
      > his son-in-law, Hendrick Kiersen, hired from the widow Tourneur
      her
      > farm upon Jochin Pieters and Van Keulens Hook, with house, barn,
      > orchard, meadows, stock and tools, for three years from May 1st,
      > ensuing.
      >
      > On Oct. 26th, 1677, they leased 74 acres of land at Spuyten Duyvel
      from
      > Jan Dyckman and Jan Nagel, for a term of twelve years, agreeing to
      pay
      > each a hen for the first seven years, 150 guilders for the next
      three
      > years, and for the last two year, 200 guilders.
      >
      > This was the first successful effort to make improvements in that
      > section of Manhattan Island, on which there was not another white
      man's
      > hearthstone north of Harlem village.
      >
      > In October, 1673, he was elected a magistrate at Fordham, and was
      on
      > the roll of the Night Watch at Harlem, as well as being identified
      with
      > the Duth church there.
      >
      > His children were Reyer, born 1653; Metje, 1655, married Hendrick
      > Kiersen; Annetie, 1658, married John Odell (ancestor of the
      Fordham
      > Odells); Bastiaen, 1662, and Aefie, 1665, born in New York, who
      married
      > Jacques Tourneur."
      >
      > I Hope this helps a little!!!
      >
      > Duchie
      >

      > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Jamie"
      <jclove001@y...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi I am new to the site and would like some help if possible.
      The
      > only
      > > information I know is that my family immigrated from Belgium
      around
      > the
      > > 1600's. I know this is going to sound funny but the name of the
      ship
      > > they came over on was The Spotted Cow. I believe that it was two
      > > brothers that came over. The spelling of the name was much
      different
      > at
      > > that point. It was Korjyk. If anyone has any information that
      they
      > > could possibly share that would be great. Or if anyone could
      possibly
      > > tell me how to get started that would be doubly great. My name
      is
      > Jamie
      > > (Cortright)Buckman. Thank you in advance

      > General liability American generals Family
      genealogy Genealogy research Genealogy family tree Genealogy
      information

      Service.

      > ---------------------------------
      >

      > Jamie Buckman

    • Jamie Buckman
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 6, 2006
        Hi Duchie,
        Can you perhaps tell me how you got or where you got this information that way I dont keep bothering you

        <jclove001@y...> wrote:

> [...]
        around
        > the
        > > 1600's. I know this is going to sound funny but the name of the
        ship
        > > they came over on was The Spotted Cow. I believe that it was two
        > > brothers that came over. The spelling of the name was much
        different
        > at
        > > that point. It was Korjyk. If anyone has any information that
        they
        > > could possibly share that would be great. Or if anyone could
        possibly
        > > tell me how to get started that would be doubly great. My name
        is
        > Jamie
        > > (Cortright)Buckman. Thank you in advance

        > General liability American generals Family
        genealogy Genealogy research Genealogy family tree Genealogy

        Jamie Buckman

      • declawed_duchess
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 7, 2006
          Oh sure Jamie no problem. I subscribe to Ancestry.com and have all
          their data basis. In that data base includes actual books that were
          written and placed on line. When I entered the Cortright name, I
          got 2 books for that family. It'll then direct you to the specific
          pages for your search. Pretty easy and lots to read but it's fun.
          If you don't subscribe, I can get the information for you. If you
          want the books directly about the Cortright family there's a site
          where you can order books of certain family names. I'll see if they
          have the cortright family there and post the url to you.

          <jclove001@y...> wrote:

> [...]
          > around
          > > the
          > > > 1600's. I know this is going to sound funny but the name of
          the
          > ship
          > > > they came over on was The Spotted Cow. I believe that it was
          two
          > > > brothers that came over. The spelling of the name was much
          > different
          > > at
          > > > that point. It was Korjyk. If anyone has any information that
          > they
          > > > could possibly share that would be great. Or if anyone could
          > possibly
          > > > tell me how to get started that would be doubly great. My name
          > is
          > > Jamie
          > > > (Cortright)Buckman. Thank you in advance
          > > >

          > > Searching for your ancestry? You'll find great help at
          Ancestry.Com

          > > http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?
          bfmid=5647408&siteid=18621718