Cortright

  • Jamie
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 2006
      Hi I am new to the site and would like some help if possible. The only
      information I know is that my family immigrated from Belgium around the
      1600's. I know this is going to sound funny but the name of the ship
      they came over on was The Spotted Cow. I believe that it was two
      brothers that came over. The spelling of the name was much different at
      that point. It was Korjyk. If anyone has any information that they
      could possibly share that would be great. Or if anyone could possibly
      tell me how to get started that would be doubly great. My name is Jamie
      (Cortright)Buckman. Thank you in advance
    • declawed_duchess
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 5, 2006
        Hi Jamie -

        I'm new to this site and decided to join. I love researching and the
        information you were looking for pretty easily. There's 2 books about
        the Courtright/Kortright/Kortryk family. Basically, the brothers came
        from Kortryk (in French, Courtrai) which is "situated twenty-six miles
        Southwest of Ghent, on the river Lys, in the Province of West Flanders,
        Belgium". Please keep in mind that alot of families took the name of
        the town or province where they originated.

        The following information comes directly from the book "The Courtright
        Family"

        "Proceeding to Amsterdam, they all embarked April 16, 1663, in the ship
        Bonte-koe (Brindle or Spotted Cow), Jan Bergen, Master, in which ship
        there also sailed several French refugees from Mannheim in the
        Palatinate. Men, women and children, there were ninety odd passengers,
        the French composing a third. Each adult was charged 39 florins,
        children under ten, half price, and it cost Jan Bastiaensen (Kortright)
        for himself, wife and family, 204 florins, 10 stivers.

        The Bastiaensen brothers, upon their arrival, first went to
        Stuyvestants's Bowery, though they soon after came to Harlem.

        Jan was the "Kortryck" who owned a Bouwery on Staten Island in 1674.
        (N.Y. Col. Mss, XXIII, 403). He spent part of his time at Harlem, but
        is last mentioned there Jan. 8th, 1677, when he is witness to a power
        of attorney, given by his old Schoonrewoerd friend, Jan Louwe Bogert.

        His children were Cornelius, born 1645, Hendrick, 1648, Laurens, 1651,
        and Belitie, 1659, who was, as were the others, "uit Holland" and who
        married, December 8th, 1678, Jacob Jansen Decker, of Esopus, whither
        her brother Hendrick had gone to live.

        Michiel Bastiaensen, who came in 1663, with his wife and children, the
        first four born in the town of Schoonrewoerd, in Gelderland, Holland,
        lived several years at Harlem, but on May 1st, 1669, leased a farm from
        John Archer, at Fordham, for five years, and on Jan. 1st, 1675, with
        his son-in-law, Hendrick Kiersen, hired from the widow Tourneur her
        farm upon Jochin Pieters and Van Keulens Hook, with house, barn,
        orchard, meadows, stock and tools, for three years from May 1st,
        ensuing.

        On Oct. 26th, 1677, they leased 74 acres of land at Spuyten Duyvel from
        Jan Dyckman and Jan Nagel, for a term of twelve years, agreeing to pay
        each a hen for the first seven years, 150 guilders for the next three
        years, and for the last two year, 200 guilders.

        This was the first successful effort to make improvements in that
        section of Manhattan Island, on which there was not another white man's
        hearthstone north of Harlem village.

        In October, 1673, he was elected a magistrate at Fordham, and was on
        the roll of the Night Watch at Harlem, as well as being identified with
        the Duth church there.

        His children were Reyer, born 1653; Metje, 1655, married Hendrick
        Kiersen; Annetie, 1658, married John Odell (ancestor of the Fordham
        Odells); Bastiaen, 1662, and Aefie, 1665, born in New York, who married
        Jacques Tourneur."

        I Hope this helps a little!!!

        Duchie

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Jamie" <jclove001@y...>
        wrote:

        > Hi I am new to the site and would like some help if possible. The
        only
        > information I know is that my family immigrated from Belgium around
        the
        > 1600's. I know this is going to sound funny but the name of the ship
        > they came over on was The Spotted Cow. I believe that it was two
        > brothers that came over. The spelling of the name was much different
        at
        > that point. It was Korjyk. If anyone has any information that they
        > could possibly share that would be great. Or if anyone could possibly
        > tell me how to get started that would be doubly great. My name is
        Jamie
        > (Cortright)Buckman. Thank you in advance

      • Jamie Buckman
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 6, 2006
          Thank you so much. It helps more than you know. My grandfather passed away a few years ago(4) and he had started doing this and never had the chance to finish it. It broke my heart that he couldnt finish. So again thank you so much

          declawed_duchess <declawed_duchess@...> wrote: Hi Jamie -

          wrote:

          > Hi I am new to the site and would like some help if possible. The
          only
          > information I know is that my family immigrated from Belgium around
          the
          > 1600's. I know this is going to sound funny but the name of the ship
          > they came over on was The Spotted Cow. I believe that it was two
          > brothers that came over. The spelling of the name was much different
          at
          > that point. It was Korjyk. If anyone has any information that they
          > could possibly share that would be great. Or if anyone could possibly
          > tell me how to get started that would be doubly great. My name is
          Jamie
          > (Cortright)Buckman. Thank you in advance

          Jamie Buckman

        • declawed_duchess
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 6, 2006
            Jamie -

            No problem. If you need more information, please just let me know
            and I'll pull what I can for you.

            Duchie

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Jamie Buckman
            <jclove001@y...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > information I know is that my family immigrated from Belgium
            around
            > the
            > > 1600's. I know this is going to sound funny but the name of the
            ship
            > > they came over on was The Spotted Cow. I believe that it was two
            > > brothers that came over. The spelling of the name was much
            different
            > at
            > > that point. It was Korjyk. If anyone has any information that
            they
            > > could possibly share that would be great. Or if anyone could
            possibly
            > > tell me how to get started that would be doubly great. My name
            is
            > Jamie
            > > (Cortright)Buckman. Thank you in advance

            > General liability American generals Family
            genealogy Genealogy research Genealogy family tree Genealogy
            information

            Service.

            > ---------------------------------
            >

            > Jamie Buckman

          • Jamie Buckman
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 6, 2006
              Hi Duchie,
              Can you perhaps tell me how you got or where you got this information that way I dont keep bothering you

              <jclove001@y...> wrote:

> [...]
              around
              > the
              > > 1600's. I know this is going to sound funny but the name of the
              ship
              > > they came over on was The Spotted Cow. I believe that it was two
              > > brothers that came over. The spelling of the name was much
              different
              > at
              > > that point. It was Korjyk. If anyone has any information that
              they
              > > could possibly share that would be great. Or if anyone could
              possibly
              > > tell me how to get started that would be doubly great. My name
              is
              > Jamie
              > > (Cortright)Buckman. Thank you in advance

              > General liability American generals Family
              genealogy Genealogy research Genealogy family tree Genealogy

              Jamie Buckman

            • declawed_duchess
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 7, 2006
                Oh sure Jamie no problem. I subscribe to Ancestry.com and have all
                their data basis. In that data base includes actual books that were
                written and placed on line. When I entered the Cortright name, I
                got 2 books for that family. It'll then direct you to the specific
                pages for your search. Pretty easy and lots to read but it's fun.
                If you don't subscribe, I can get the information for you. If you
                want the books directly about the Cortright family there's a site
                where you can order books of certain family names. I'll see if they
                have the cortright family there and post the url to you.

                <jclove001@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                > around
                > > the
                > > > 1600's. I know this is going to sound funny but the name of
                the
                > ship
                > > > they came over on was The Spotted Cow. I believe that it was
                two
                > > > brothers that came over. The spelling of the name was much
                > different
                > > at
                > > > that point. It was Korjyk. If anyone has any information that
                > they
                > > > could possibly share that would be great. Or if anyone could
                > possibly
                > > > tell me how to get started that would be doubly great. My name
                > is
                > > Jamie
                > > > (Cortright)Buckman. Thank you in advance
                > > >

                > > Searching for your ancestry? You'll find great help at
                Ancestry.Com

                > > http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?
                bfmid=5647408&siteid=18621718