Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: sites u sign up for

  • runningdeer1011@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 7, 2005
      Tina hello.Are you in central Ohio or northeastern?How can one find a
      woman given name and or surname missing on vital records?
      Robert

    • Tina Stedman
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 8, 2005
        I am actually in Southwest Ohio. If I remember correctly, this is in
        regards to a Vitals Records Microfilm that you have accessed from the
        LDS near you.

        A few thoughts,

        1. It could be an inaccurate transcription.
        2. It could be a bad photo job onto the microfilm.
        3. It could be that the record was damaged before they put it onto
        microfilm.
        4. It could be that the recorder had his own way of recording and we
        just don't understand it.

        The list could go on.

        My suggestion,

        1. Go to the county website through http://www.usgenweb.com or one of
        the many mailing lists for the counties. Ask someone at the county
        website or mailing list for that county since they have at some point
        also used that reference.

        2. Actually go to the county courthouse that houses the original
        record. The people in the office will hopefully be able to help you
        find your ancestors and work with or around that problem.

        3. Ask at the LDS where you are viewing this microfilm if they know.
        You may need to ask if there is someone in specific that may be able
        to help you that is not that day. I have found them to be very
        helpful but sometimes the person who is staffing the room, just has
        the basic knowledge but they should be able to tell you who to ask.
        Since the microfilm is there, they could actually look at to help you.

        I hope that this helps but if it has not then please post a more
        specific question and I will see what I can do.

        Tina