Re: [Genealogy Research Club] looking for Griffin

  • Rhonda
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 6, 2005
      What I have as possible info on Richard Griffin is b. 1802 Margaret Pinson b. 1803, married in 1835 VA.
      Children:
      Sarah b. 1836 married Franklin Westmoreland
      Margaret b. 1837
      more children???

      I have tried ancestry.com with the free trial but every hit I get when I go to dig deeper it is paid information, so can't get to it. :(

      Thanks for your help!!!
      Rhonda

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 6, 2005
        <snip>I use ancestry.com It is a little expensive but they do have lots of
        > information and adding more daily. You can customize your access to
        reduce
        > the cost. You can also try the 14 day free trial some time when you have
        > couple of weeks to do some heavy research.<snip>

        If you have a Family History Center at the local LDS which has internet
        access, they have access to some or all of Ancestry.com also.

        Forrest Plumstead fplum1@...
        Researching the following Surnames:
        Plumstead and Associated Families:

        > Do you have a location where Richard and Margaret they lived? The more
        > clues you give the easier it is for someone to help. Any children names
        or
        > parent's name as a start or clue?
        >
        > I use ancestry.com It is a little expensive but they do have lots of
        > information and adding more daily. You can customize your access to
        reduce
        > the cost. You can also try the 14 day free trial some time when you have
        > couple of weeks to do some heavy research.
        >
        > Clark
        >
        > Oregon
        >

        > _____

      • Clark & Rita Pederson
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 8, 2005
          Rhonda:

          I did quite a bit of searching on ancestry. Unfortunately Richard and
          Margaret Griffin are fairly common names (our brick wall ancestor seem to
          always have common names) and you don't have many details to nail them down
          to a location. The closest I can come up with is (and this doesn't match
          your ages):

          <http://content.ancestry.com/Browse/list.aspx?dbid=8054&path=> 1850 United
          States Federal Census >
          <http://content.ancestry.com/Browse/list.aspx?dbid=8054&path=Virginia>
          Virginia >
          <http://content.ancestry.com/Browse/list.aspx?dbid=8054&path=Virginia.Halif
          ax> Halifax > Southern District on Oct 17 1850

          Richard Griffin age 68 Occupation Planter Born in VA

          Margaret 67 VA

          James 16 Occupation None VA

          Sarah 16 VA

          Margaret 13 VA

          Elizabeth 9 VA

          John S 7 VA

          Neighbors to Hampton & Jane Griffin and children Jane, Eliza, Nancy,
          William, Lucy, David, and James E (if I can read the handwriting)

          I would recommend continuing to dig up information on the most recent
          ancestor you know and try to gather more information: cities and counties
          of birth, exact dates, names of siblings and their information. When I
          can't find enough information on my relative I take a sibling and track
          their information. Sometimes that will lead you to information about their
          common parent. Seek birth certificates, death certificates, marriage
          certificates looking for parent's names and locations. Having a city and
          county helps if they stayed in the area a long time. Then you have a
          chance at cemetery records and tombstone information for death information.

          Keeping looking, it is a life long hobby. Good Luck.

          Clark

          Oregon

          _____

          I have Richard Griffin 1802 m. Margaret Pinson 1835, looking for their
          children and Richard's parents..any help appreciated!

          Rhonda
          "Love me, Love my Great Dane"

          http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408
          <http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408
          <http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408&siteid=18621718>
          &siteid=18621718>
          &siteid=18621718

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "genealogyresearchclub
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genealogyresearchclub> " on the web.

          be>

          _____

          http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408
          <http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408&siteid=18621718>
          &siteid=18621718

          Service.

          http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408
          <http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408&siteid=18621718>
          &siteid=18621718

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "genealogyresearchclub
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genealogyresearchclub> " on the web.

          be>

          _____

        • Jon P Czarowitz
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 11, 2005
            In looking for Griffin you might go back 10 years to 1840 census if anything but numbers and look for yours and neighbor family in same house. Is this father and son or maybe brothers? Other neighbors might be spouses family.
            Good Luck.
            Jon P Czarowitz

[...]

            Genealogy research Genealogy family tree Genealogy information