RE: [Genealogy Research Club] looking for Griffin

  • Clark & Rita Pederson
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 6, 2005
      Rhonda:

      Do you have a location where Richard and Margaret they lived? The more
      clues you give the easier it is for someone to help. Any children names or
      parent's name as a start or clue?

      I use ancestry.com It is a little expensive but they do have lots of
      information and adding more daily. You can customize your access to reduce
      the cost. You can also try the 14 day free trial some time when you have a
      couple of weeks to do some heavy research.

      Clark

      Oregon

      _____

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 6, 2005
        What I have as possible info on Richard Griffin is b. 1802 Margaret Pinson b. 1803, married in 1835 VA.
        Children:
        Sarah b. 1836 married Franklin Westmoreland
        Margaret b. 1837
        more children???

        I have tried ancestry.com with the free trial but every hit I get when I go to dig deeper it is paid information, so can't get to it. :(

        Thanks for your help!!!

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 6, 2005
          <snip>I use ancestry.com It is a little expensive but they do have lots of
          > information and adding more daily. You can customize your access to
          reduce
          > the cost. You can also try the 14 day free trial some time when you have
          > couple of weeks to do some heavy research.<snip>

          If you have a Family History Center at the local LDS which has internet
          access, they have access to some or all of Ancestry.com also.

          Forrest Plumstead fplum1@...
          Researching the following Surnames:
          Plumstead and Associated Families:

          > Do you have a location where Richard and Margaret they lived? The more
          > clues you give the easier it is for someone to help. Any children names
          or
          > parent's name as a start or clue?
          >
          > I use ancestry.com It is a little expensive but they do have lots of
          > information and adding more daily. You can customize your access to
          reduce
          > the cost. You can also try the 14 day free trial some time when you have
          > couple of weeks to do some heavy research.
          >
          > Clark
          >
          > Oregon
          >

          > _____

        • Clark & Rita Pederson
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 8, 2005
            Rhonda:

            I did quite a bit of searching on ancestry. Unfortunately Richard and
            Margaret Griffin are fairly common names (our brick wall ancestor seem to
            always have common names) and you don't have many details to nail them down
            to a location. The closest I can come up with is (and this doesn't match
            your ages):

            <http://content.ancestry.com/Browse/list.aspx?dbid=8054&path=> 1850 United
            States Federal Census >
            <http://content.ancestry.com/Browse/list.aspx?dbid=8054&path=Virginia>
            Virginia >
            <http://content.ancestry.com/Browse/list.aspx?dbid=8054&path=Virginia.Halif
            ax> Halifax > Southern District on Oct 17 1850

            Richard Griffin age 68 Occupation Planter Born in VA

            Margaret 67 VA

            James 16 Occupation None VA

            Sarah 16 VA

            Margaret 13 VA

            Elizabeth 9 VA

            John S 7 VA

            Neighbors to Hampton & Jane Griffin and children Jane, Eliza, Nancy,
            William, Lucy, David, and James E (if I can read the handwriting)

            I would recommend continuing to dig up information on the most recent
            ancestor you know and try to gather more information: cities and counties
            of birth, exact dates, names of siblings and their information. When I
            can't find enough information on my relative I take a sibling and track
            their information. Sometimes that will lead you to information about their
            common parent. Seek birth certificates, death certificates, marriage
            certificates looking for parent's names and locations. Having a city and
            county helps if they stayed in the area a long time. Then you have a
            chance at cemetery records and tombstone information for death information.

            Keeping looking, it is a life long hobby. Good Luck.

            Clark

            Oregon

            _____

            I have Richard Griffin 1802 m. Margaret Pinson 1835, looking for their
            children and Richard's parents..any help appreciated!

            Rhonda
            "Love me, Love my Great Dane"

            http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408
            <http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408
            <http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408&siteid=18621718>
            &siteid=18621718>
            &siteid=18621718

            _____

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            * Visit your group "genealogyresearchclub
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genealogyresearchclub> " on the web.

            be>

            _____

            http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408
            <http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408&siteid=18621718>
            &siteid=18621718

            Service.

            http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408
            <http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408&siteid=18621718>
            &siteid=18621718

            _____

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            * Visit your group "genealogyresearchclub
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genealogyresearchclub> " on the web.

            be>

            _____

          • Jon P Czarowitz
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 11, 2005
              In looking for Griffin you might go back 10 years to 1840 census if anything but numbers and look for yours and neighbor family in same house. Is this father and son or maybe brothers? Other neighbors might be spouses family.
              Good Luck.
              Jon P Czarowitz

[...]

              Genealogy research Genealogy family tree Genealogy information