Re: Sources

  • lostdaisy04012000
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2005
      Tina,

      While gathering my sources to input them into my genealogy program I
      make sure that I take down all and any information that will make
      going back to the original source easier. Full book titles,
      publisher, date published, page numbers, library where it was found
      or who owned the borrowed copy. If I received the source from a
      genealogical or historical society I included their addresses, phone
      numbers and even contact person as well as all dates I've talked to
      them. All vital records that were used are listed with their index
      code and where they were found as well as the contact information
      for the office that it is located. If I used a person's memories
      for my information I made sure that I wrote down how they were
      related or knew the person, and the date I received their
      information.

      This has saved me countless number of hours because I don't have to
      go searching for source information and then searching for the
      source. It also allows me to keep less notes on paper = less chance
      for something to be lost. Just remember - Back up your research on
      disk!

      Annamari
      Researching MO Miles family, KS Bone/Averill families, MT
      Miles/Johnson/Hasselblad/Carter families, MI Hasselblad and Johnson
      families
    • Judy Ardine
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 31, 2005
        Hi Tina,

        I'm in somewhat the same situation as you are. I'm not using Legacy tho.
        I'm using FTM and PAF. What I've come up with the sources is to list the
        Source as for instance: Delaware cnty, PA Deed, then I use Notes to be more
        specific with the Deed identification number and the transcription or
        abstract of it. If it is secondary information, for instance, from a book,
        I put the book's ID in the source, i.e. title, author, etc. BUT I put the
        page number, and the quote in the Notes section. In other words, my Source
        information points the way but the Notes have the actual information. When
        I share my gedcom file the recipients are able to determine which sources
        are primary and which are secondary but they have to go to the source
        itself to glean the actual information. The good researchers will do just
        that and thus they are able to verify my work or disprove any mistakes I've
        made.
      • LDYTRAMP
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2005

          > Annamari
          > Researching MO Miles family, KS Bone/Averill families, MT
          > Miles/Johnson/Hasselblad/Carter families, MI Hasselblad and Johnson
          > families

          this has nothing to do with sources but I noticed your note at the
          bottom and since I have a brick wall with this couple thought I would
          ask. MT Miles/Johnson do you know where in MT? My partenr's
          grandparents were Earl Vasey Myles and Cecil Mae Johnston(e) I know
          they are spelt differntly but they are close. Earl was born 1907 died
          1974. His mother keeps good records of her family but not his fathers
          family and his father has passed away. This family would be from the
          east side of Montana. Plentywood and Alzada. His father was born in
          Belle Fourche, South Dakota Oct. 3 1933 and was a JR.