Sources

  • Tina Paxton
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 30, 2005
      Hi Ya'll,

      I downloaded the standard version (read: free version) of Legacy 6.0
      and imported my gedcom file for my research (that had to be
      extracted from the old harddrive when the laptop died). One glaring
      problem emerged -- the sources I had put into my file did not
      translate through the gedcom to Legacy. Now, I'm having to go
      through and re-input all the sources for the information I have on
      each individual. It's a pain BUT the reason I'm telling ya'll this
      isn't to complain but because I want to turn a problem into an
      OPPORTUNITY.

      What pointers/suggestions would ya'll give me to make the most of
      this time and effort? Any suggestions on how to put in the sources
      so they will be of the most use later? Any suggestions on ways to
      look at the sources with fresh eyes and see new research
      possibilities? Anything else you think might help?

      Looking forward to hearing from all of you.

      Tina
      Researching: Paxton, Ent/Endt, Brown, Hodenfield > western states
      and Canada; Porter, Weeks, Ryals > southern states
    • lostdaisy04012000
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 31, 2005
        Tina,

        While gathering my sources to input them into my genealogy program I
        make sure that I take down all and any information that will make
        going back to the original source easier. Full book titles,
        publisher, date published, page numbers, library where it was found
        or who owned the borrowed copy. If I received the source from a
        genealogical or historical society I included their addresses, phone
        numbers and even contact person as well as all dates I've talked to
        them. All vital records that were used are listed with their index
        code and where they were found as well as the contact information
        for the office that it is located. If I used a person's memories
        for my information I made sure that I wrote down how they were
        related or knew the person, and the date I received their
        information.

        This has saved me countless number of hours because I don't have to
        go searching for source information and then searching for the
        source. It also allows me to keep less notes on paper = less chance
        for something to be lost. Just remember - Back up your research on
        disk!

        Annamari
        Researching MO Miles family, KS Bone/Averill families, MT
        Miles/Johnson/Hasselblad/Carter families, MI Hasselblad and Johnson
        families
      • Judy Ardine
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 31, 2005
          Hi Tina,

          I'm in somewhat the same situation as you are. I'm not using Legacy tho.
          I'm using FTM and PAF. What I've come up with the sources is to list the
          Source as for instance: Delaware cnty, PA Deed, then I use Notes to be more
          specific with the Deed identification number and the transcription or
          abstract of it. If it is secondary information, for instance, from a book,
          I put the book's ID in the source, i.e. title, author, etc. BUT I put the
          page number, and the quote in the Notes section. In other words, my Source
          information points the way but the Notes have the actual information. When
          I share my gedcom file the recipients are able to determine which sources
          are primary and which are secondary but they have to go to the source
          itself to glean the actual information. The good researchers will do just
          that and thus they are able to verify my work or disprove any mistakes I've
          made.
        • LDYTRAMP
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 2, 2005

            > Annamari
            > Researching MO Miles family, KS Bone/Averill families, MT
            > Miles/Johnson/Hasselblad/Carter families, MI Hasselblad and Johnson
            > families

            this has nothing to do with sources but I noticed your note at the
            bottom and since I have a brick wall with this couple thought I would
            ask. MT Miles/Johnson do you know where in MT? My partenr's
            grandparents were Earl Vasey Myles and Cecil Mae Johnston(e) I know
            they are spelt differntly but they are close. Earl was born 1907 died
            1974. His mother keeps good records of her family but not his fathers
            family and his father has passed away. This family would be from the
            east side of Montana. Plentywood and Alzada. His father was born in
            Belle Fourche, South Dakota Oct. 3 1933 and was a JR.