Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Software

  • Dee
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 3, 2005
      I have the paid version of Legacy - they just came out
      with 6.0 and I love it.

      When you click to open it, the front screen is divided
      into 3 large sections: Legacy News (with genealogy
      news and links), To-Do Items (a list of items to do),
      Birthdays and Anniversaries (self-explanatory). The
      smaller sections are: Statistics (number of people
      and families in your tree), Updates (It shows if the
      latest version is installed) and Support (with links
      for the Help File, User Manual, Tips, Customer
      Support, etc).

      There are changes from their previous version that
      have been very helpful such as the way to document
      sources.
      The Book section is supposed to be very good but I've
      never done one yet. I do like the Reports.

      BTW, I'm not an employee of Legacy! Just a satisfied
      customer. I still have Family Tree Maker but am
      moving my direct line over to Legacy.

      dee

      --- Karen Minnemeyer <kamiki1@...> wrote:

      > Hello Precious:
      > I have used Family Tree Maker and Legacy. I use
      > Legacy exclusively now. It it a free download. It
      > has easy input and you can save all media files to
      > your database. The reports and books are very nice.
      > Karen

    • chriss_99_us
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 22, 2009
        I am new to researching my family tree. I tried it a long time ago and used Family Tree Maker. I am currently looking to get back into it but looking for updated software. I really liked how Family Tree included cd's with a lot of database information and am wondering if there is anything like that out there yet or do you have to pay for that information from like Ancestory.com. Basically I am wondering what software everyone uses and where you find the information.

        Thanks Chris
      • DavidO
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 23, 2009
          Chris, I used Family Tree Maker for many years. I too enjoyed its intuitive approach to adding and grouping information.

          While the included CD's were "interesting" and provided some clues as to further generations, I quickly learned that like most genealogical information available, it included errors; some simple things like spelling or dates, but other more serious such as wrong family groups joined together. I would not rely on any of those "published" ancestries very much and I have learned to check original sources to confirm printed indexes whenever I am able.

          The "biggest" problem I had with FTM was the sharing of the information with my family. Sure I could print wonderful charts and lists of names, but unless they had a copy of the program, that was about the extent of it.

          I have now (recently) shifted to Personal Ancestral File (PAF) available free from the Church of Latter Day Saints. This is a powerful tool similar to FTM in its capabilities; but being free, anyone can download the software and use the data files as they please. I am also relatively confident the program will continue to be supported for many many years, and I expect any upgrades will be free as well. They do want you to register, but you do not need to be a memmber of anything and I have yet to have anyone from the church attempt to contact me.

          The LDS also have a vast collection of records, very similar to what you would find on the FTM CD's. It is free and easily searched. You can find it (and PAF) here:

          http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

          And, if you have the time and are interested, you can even assist with their many projects of collecting and indexing genealogical information for the free and public use of any who desire it. :)

          I wish you the best of luck, and no, I am not a Mormon. Cheers, Dave O.