Re: Need help with Immigration

  • bigred1442
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 24 6:06 PM
      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, barbara erickson
      <berickson49@y...> wrote:
      > Hello, My great-grandfather was said to have worked on one of the
      ships coming to the US as a cabin boy. He went to town and when he
      came back it was gone. He stayed in the US. I have information that
      he became a citizen. I can't find him in the Ellie Island records.
      Now what do I do. Here is the information I do have.

      > Name: Albert Fisher or Tyser ( Immigrant workers didn't understand
      him so they gave him the last name of Fisher.
      > Born June 1,1882 Pilsen, Austria or Hradek, Czechoslovakia ( War
      changed borders)
      > Arrived in US: June 1903
      > Became citizen: July 5, 1921
      > Other brothers came over using the tyser name and I have looked
      and looked.
      > Thanks for your help, Barb

      Hi, Barb,
      I wish I could be of help, but I'm having the same problem.
      Although I've found my grandfather at Ellis Island in 1903,
      I'm not finding my grandmother and her kids, [who I know arrived
      that same year]. I have good reason to believe that grandfather
      Soukup worked in the Pa. coal mines and I'm thinking the family
      followed him, perhaps arriving in Philidelphia or Baltimore.
      The family was also supposed to be from the area around Pilsen.
      I'll post my findings when, [by some miracle], I find them.
      Good luck to us both!
      Dee
    • Karen Minnemeyer
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 26 6:43 PM
        Barbara:
        Okay, I checked the 1920 Population Census for
        Illinois, Cook County, Chicago, 33rd Precinct and
        found two FISHER families living next door to each
        other:

        Fisher, Frank, 33, Born in Austria
        Josephine (Wife), 27, Born in Austria
        Frank (Son), 7 1/2, Born in New York
        Josephine (Dau), 5 1/2, Born in Cleveland Ohio
        Rudie (Son), 1, Born in Chicago, Illinois
        Fisher, Albert, 37, Born in Austria
        Mary, (Wife), 37, Born in Austria
        Helen (Dau), 11 1/2, Born in New York
        Tillie (Dau), 11 1/2, Born in New York
        Louise (Dau), 10, Born in New York
        Emily (Dau), 8, Born in New York
        May(?) (Dau), 4, Born in Illinois
        The record indicates that all four adults were born in
        Austria as were their parents. I believe that Albert
        and Mary are indicated as having been married in
        Austria. Albert and Frank perhaps are brothers.

        Judging from the ages and birthplaces of the children,
        Albert and Mary lived in New York for approximately 7
        years before moving to Illinois and had lived in
        Illinois for the last 4 years.

        I can search other Census records, but I think you are
        going to have to get information from Austria about
        Albert's early life events and his parents.

        Let me know if I can do anything else to help you.
        Karen

        Karen E. Minnemeyer
        kamiki1@...

        http://mail.yahoo.com