Re: Need help with Immigration

  • bigred1442
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 24, 2005
      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, barbara erickson
      <berickson49@y...> wrote:
      > Hello, My great-grandfather was said to have worked on one of the
      ships coming to the US as a cabin boy. He went to town and when he
      came back it was gone. He stayed in the US. I have information that
      he became a citizen. I can't find him in the Ellie Island records.
      Now what do I do. Here is the information I do have.

      > Name: Albert Fisher or Tyser ( Immigrant workers didn't understand
      him so they gave him the last name of Fisher.
      > Born June 1,1882 Pilsen, Austria or Hradek, Czechoslovakia ( War
      changed borders)
      > Arrived in US: June 1903
      > Became citizen: July 5, 1921
      > Other brothers came over using the tyser name and I have looked
      and looked.
      > Thanks for your help, Barb

      Hi, Barb,
      I wish I could be of help, but I'm having the same problem.
      Although I've found my grandfather at Ellis Island in 1903,
      I'm not finding my grandmother and her kids, [who I know arrived
      that same year]. I have good reason to believe that grandfather
      Soukup worked in the Pa. coal mines and I'm thinking the family
      followed him, perhaps arriving in Philidelphia or Baltimore.
      The family was also supposed to be from the area around Pilsen.
      I'll post my findings when, [by some miracle], I find them.
      Good luck to us both!
      Dee
    • bigred1442
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 24, 2005
        <berickson49@y...> wrote:
        > Hello, My great-grandfather was said to have worked on one of the
        ships coming to the US as a cabin boy. He went to town and when he
        came back it was gone. He stayed in the US. I have information that
        he became a citizen. I can't find him in the Ellie Island records.
        Now what do I do. Here is the information I do have.

        > Name: Albert Fisher or Tyser ( Immigrant workers didn't understand
        him so they gave him the last name of Fisher.
        > Born June 1,1882 Pilsen, Austria or Hradek, Czechoslovakia ( War
        changed borders)
        > Arrived in US: June 1903
        > Became citizen: July 5, 1921
        > Other brothers came over using the tyser name and I have looked
        and looked.
        > Thanks for your help, Barb

        Hi, Barb,
        I wish I could be of help, but I'm having the same problem.
        Although I've found my grandfather at Ellis Island in 1903,
        I'm not finding my grandmother and her kids, [who I know arrived
        that same year]. I have good reason to believe that grandfather
        Soukup worked in the Pa. coal mines and I'm thinking the family
        followed him, perhaps arriving in Philidelphia or Baltimore.
        The family was also supposed to be from the area around Pilsen.
        I'll post my findings when, [by some miracle], I find them.
        Good luck to us both!
        Dee
      • Karen Minnemeyer
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 26, 2005
          Barbara:
          Okay, I checked the 1920 Population Census for
          Illinois, Cook County, Chicago, 33rd Precinct and
          found two FISHER families living next door to each
          other:

          Fisher, Frank, 33, Born in Austria
          Josephine (Wife), 27, Born in Austria
          Frank (Son), 7 1/2, Born in New York
          Josephine (Dau), 5 1/2, Born in Cleveland Ohio
          Rudie (Son), 1, Born in Chicago, Illinois
          Fisher, Albert, 37, Born in Austria
          Mary, (Wife), 37, Born in Austria
          Helen (Dau), 11 1/2, Born in New York
          Tillie (Dau), 11 1/2, Born in New York
          Louise (Dau), 10, Born in New York
          Emily (Dau), 8, Born in New York
          May(?) (Dau), 4, Born in Illinois
          The record indicates that all four adults were born in
          Austria as were their parents. I believe that Albert
          and Mary are indicated as having been married in
          Austria. Albert and Frank perhaps are brothers.

          Judging from the ages and birthplaces of the children,
          Albert and Mary lived in New York for approximately 7
          years before moving to Illinois and had lived in
          Illinois for the last 4 years.

          I can search other Census records, but I think you are
          going to have to get information from Austria about
          Albert's early life events and his parents.

          Let me know if I can do anything else to help you.
          Karen

          Karen E. Minnemeyer
          kamiki1@...

          http://mail.yahoo.com