Looking for: Mary Hewitt Good

  • Tina Paxton
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 16, 2005
      Hello folks,

      Earlier this week I was contacted by a researcher who had information to
      share on my great-great-aunt, Euphemia Paxton Hewitt. He was able to point
      me to a manuscript in the Ratcliffe College Library collection written by
      Euphemia. Per the Ratcliffe Library search engine, the manuscript was
      submitted by her daughter, Mary (Hewitt) Good in 1986. (I'm currently
      working with the librarians there to acquire a copy of the manuscript.)

      I have no further information on Mary Good. I know nothing of Mr. Hewitt
      other than he married my gg-aunt and was also a teacher.

      What I know about Euphemia is as follows: She was born in South Dakota in
      1879; attended Univ. of California, got a B.S. in 1900, then taught for one
      year before going to the Philippines to teach (she was one of the
      "Thomasites"). She left the teaching service at the end of her 3-yr.
      contract, in August 1903. Euphemia and Mr. Hewitt were married at a
      missionary's home in Yokohama, Japan, in 1905, amid Japanese celebrations of
      the Russo-Japanese War. I have her returning to the US and a mention of her
      in an alumni publication shows they moved to Yonkers, New York.

      I would love to find Mrs. Mary Good or her descendents. If anyone can point
      me in the right direction, I'd very much appreciate it.

      Tina Paxton
    • jbaconsr
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 18, 2005
        Here is what I gleaned from the 1920 and 1930 census:
        1920 Yonker 82 Andrews Place Family #352
        James Hewitt head mw age 47 married born MA father born Canada,mother
        born Cananda
        Effie wife fw age 48 married born IA father born Canada mother born
        Canada
        William son mw age 10 Philipines MA IA
        Marie daughter fw age 3 6/12 CA MA IA

        1930 Yonkers Andrews Place family # 66
        James H. Hewitt head mw age 57 m @ 33 MA CAN ENG
        Euphemia wife fw age 52 m @ 28 IA CAN CAN
        William P. son mw age 21 single Manila MA IA
        Mary daughter fw age 13 CA MA IA

        So it looks like they came from the Philipines/Manila then California
        and then to Yonkers.Good luck, hope this helps.

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Tina Paxton"
        <Frecs@a...> wrote:
        > Hello folks,
        >
        > Earlier this week I was contacted by a researcher who had
        information to
        > share on my great-great-aunt, Euphemia Paxton Hewitt. He was able
        to point
        > me to a manuscript in the Ratcliffe College Library collection
        written by
        > Euphemia. Per the Ratcliffe Library search engine, the manuscript
        was
        > submitted by her daughter, Mary (Hewitt) Good in 1986. (I'm
        currently
        > working with the librarians there to acquire a copy of the
        manuscript.)

        > I have no further information on Mary Good. I know nothing of Mr.
        Hewitt
        > other than he married my gg-aunt and was also a teacher.
        >
        > What I know about Euphemia is as follows: She was born in South
        Dakota in
        > 1879; attended Univ. of California, got a B.S. in 1900, then taught
        for one
        > year before going to the Philippines to teach (she was one of the
        > "Thomasites"). She left the teaching service at the end of her 3-yr.
        > contract, in August 1903. Euphemia and Mr. Hewitt were married at a
        > missionary's home in Yokohama, Japan, in 1905, amid Japanese
        celebrations of
        > the Russo-Japanese War. I have her returning to the US and a
        mention of her
        > in an alumni publication shows they moved to Yonkers, New York.
        >
        > I would love to find Mrs. Mary Good or her descendents. If anyone
        can point
        > me in the right direction, I'd very much appreciate it.
        >
        > Tina Paxton
      • Tina Paxton
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 18, 2005
          That's wonderful! Thanks!

          <Frecs@a...> wrote:
          > Hello folks,
          >
          > Earlier this week I was contacted by a researcher who had
          information to
          > share on my great-great-aunt, Euphemia Paxton Hewitt. He was able
          to point
          > me to a manuscript in the Ratcliffe College Library collection
          written by
          > Euphemia. Per the Ratcliffe Library search engine, the manuscript
          was
          > submitted by her daughter, Mary (Hewitt) Good in 1986. (I'm
          currently
          > working with the librarians there to acquire a copy of the
          manuscript.)

          > I have no further information on Mary Good. I know nothing of Mr.
          Hewitt
          > other than he married my gg-aunt and was also a teacher.
          >
          > What I know about Euphemia is as follows: She was born in South
          Dakota in
          > 1879; attended Univ. of California, got a B.S. in 1900, then taught
          for one
          > year before going to the Philippines to teach (she was one of the
          > "Thomasites"). She left the teaching service at the end of her 3-yr.
          > contract, in August 1903. Euphemia and Mr. Hewitt were married at a
          > missionary's home in Yokohama, Japan, in 1905, amid Japanese
          celebrations of
          > the Russo-Japanese War. I have her returning to the US and a
          mention of her
          > in an alumni publication shows they moved to Yonkers, New York.
          >
          > I would love to find Mrs. Mary Good or her descendents. If anyone
          can point
          > me in the right direction, I'd very much appreciate it.
          >
          > Tina Paxton

          Yahoo! Groups Links