Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Need help with Immigration

  • barbara erickson
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 12, 2005
      Thanks for the help, but no. In 1920 he lived in Chicago with wife Mary, Marie, twin daughters Helen, my grandmother, and Otilie, Tillie. Born 6-29-1908 Manhatten. Other daughters Louise, Emily, Mae. Is there any way to check with immigration with the information that I do have?
      Thanks, Barb

      Karen Minnemeyer <kamiki1@...> wrote:
      Barb:
      I found 2 Albert Fishers on the 1920 NY Census:

      Albert Fisher White Male 37 Born: Austria
      Gehrig Fisher White Female /Wife/ Born: New Jersey
      1920 Population Census; Manhattan Borough, NY, NY
      Working as Supervisor at Apartment House

      Albert Fisher White Male 39 Born: Hungary
      Josephine Fisher White Female /Wife/ Born: Hungary
      1920 Population Census; Manhattan Borough, NY, NY
      Working as Stock Clerk for Wholesale Store

      Could either of these be your grandfather?
      Karen

      Karen E. Minnemeyer
      kamiki1@...

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • bigred1442
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 24, 2005
        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, barbara erickson
        <berickson49@y...> wrote:
        > Hello, My great-grandfather was said to have worked on one of the
        ships coming to the US as a cabin boy. He went to town and when he
        came back it was gone. He stayed in the US. I have information that
        he became a citizen. I can't find him in the Ellie Island records.
        Now what do I do. Here is the information I do have.

        > Name: Albert Fisher or Tyser ( Immigrant workers didn't understand
        him so they gave him the last name of Fisher.
        > Born June 1,1882 Pilsen, Austria or Hradek, Czechoslovakia ( War
        changed borders)
        > Arrived in US: June 1903
        > Became citizen: July 5, 1921
        > Other brothers came over using the tyser name and I have looked
        and looked.
        > Thanks for your help, Barb

        Hi, Barb,
        I wish I could be of help, but I'm having the same problem.
        Although I've found my grandfather at Ellis Island in 1903,
        I'm not finding my grandmother and her kids, [who I know arrived
        that same year]. I have good reason to believe that grandfather
        Soukup worked in the Pa. coal mines and I'm thinking the family
        followed him, perhaps arriving in Philidelphia or Baltimore.
        The family was also supposed to be from the area around Pilsen.
        I'll post my findings when, [by some miracle], I find them.
        Good luck to us both!
        Dee
      • bigred1442
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 24, 2005
          <berickson49@y...> wrote:
          > Hello, My great-grandfather was said to have worked on one of the
          ships coming to the US as a cabin boy. He went to town and when he
          came back it was gone. He stayed in the US. I have information that
          he became a citizen. I can't find him in the Ellie Island records.
          Now what do I do. Here is the information I do have.

          > Name: Albert Fisher or Tyser ( Immigrant workers didn't understand
          him so they gave him the last name of Fisher.
          > Born June 1,1882 Pilsen, Austria or Hradek, Czechoslovakia ( War
          changed borders)
          > Arrived in US: June 1903
          > Became citizen: July 5, 1921
          > Other brothers came over using the tyser name and I have looked
          and looked.
          > Thanks for your help, Barb

          Hi, Barb,
          I wish I could be of help, but I'm having the same problem.
          Although I've found my grandfather at Ellis Island in 1903,
          I'm not finding my grandmother and her kids, [who I know arrived
          that same year]. I have good reason to believe that grandfather
          Soukup worked in the Pa. coal mines and I'm thinking the family
          followed him, perhaps arriving in Philidelphia or Baltimore.
          The family was also supposed to be from the area around Pilsen.
          I'll post my findings when, [by some miracle], I find them.
          Good luck to us both!
          Dee
        • Karen Minnemeyer
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 26, 2005
            Barbara:
            Okay, I checked the 1920 Population Census for
            Illinois, Cook County, Chicago, 33rd Precinct and
            found two FISHER families living next door to each
            other:

            Fisher, Frank, 33, Born in Austria
            Josephine (Wife), 27, Born in Austria
            Frank (Son), 7 1/2, Born in New York
            Josephine (Dau), 5 1/2, Born in Cleveland Ohio
            Rudie (Son), 1, Born in Chicago, Illinois
            Fisher, Albert, 37, Born in Austria
            Mary, (Wife), 37, Born in Austria
            Helen (Dau), 11 1/2, Born in New York
            Tillie (Dau), 11 1/2, Born in New York
            Louise (Dau), 10, Born in New York
            Emily (Dau), 8, Born in New York
            May(?) (Dau), 4, Born in Illinois
            The record indicates that all four adults were born in
            Austria as were their parents. I believe that Albert
            and Mary are indicated as having been married in
            Austria. Albert and Frank perhaps are brothers.

            Judging from the ages and birthplaces of the children,
            Albert and Mary lived in New York for approximately 7
            years before moving to Illinois and had lived in
            Illinois for the last 4 years.

            I can search other Census records, but I think you are
            going to have to get information from Austria about
            Albert's early life events and his parents.

            Let me know if I can do anything else to help you.
            Karen

            Karen E. Minnemeyer
            kamiki1@...

            http://mail.yahoo.com