Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Need help with Immigration

  • barbara erickson
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 6, 2005
      Sorry about that. It was New York city. I think he finally lived in Manhatten. barb

      Karen Minnemeyer <kamiki1@...> wrote:Hello:
      What "town" did your Grandfather stay in? It would be
      easy to check census records; but we must know what
      State and, if possible, the County in which he lived.
      Karen

      Karen E. Minnemeyer
      kamiki1@...

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

    • Karen Minnemeyer
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 7, 2005
        Barb:
        I found 2 Albert Fishers on the 1920 NY Census:

        Albert Fisher White Male 37 Born: Austria
        Gehrig Fisher White Female /Wife/ Born: New Jersey
        1920 Population Census; Manhattan Borough, NY, NY
        Working as Supervisor at Apartment House

        Albert Fisher White Male 39 Born: Hungary
        Josephine Fisher White Female /Wife/ Born: Hungary
        1920 Population Census; Manhattan Borough, NY, NY
        Working as Stock Clerk for Wholesale Store

        Could either of these be your grandfather?
        Karen

        Karen E. Minnemeyer
        kamiki1@...

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • barbara erickson

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 24, 2005
            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, barbara erickson
            <berickson49@y...> wrote:
            > Hello, My great-grandfather was said to have worked on one of the
            ships coming to the US as a cabin boy. He went to town and when he
            came back it was gone. He stayed in the US. I have information that
            he became a citizen. I can't find him in the Ellie Island records.
            Now what do I do. Here is the information I do have.

            > Name: Albert Fisher or Tyser ( Immigrant workers didn't understand
            him so they gave him the last name of Fisher.
            > Born June 1,1882 Pilsen, Austria or Hradek, Czechoslovakia ( War
            changed borders)
            > Arrived in US: June 1903
            > Became citizen: July 5, 1921
            > Other brothers came over using the tyser name and I have looked
            and looked.
            > Thanks for your help, Barb

            Hi, Barb,
            I wish I could be of help, but I'm having the same problem.
            Although I've found my grandfather at Ellis Island in 1903,
            I'm not finding my grandmother and her kids, [who I know arrived
            that same year]. I have good reason to believe that grandfather
            Soukup worked in the Pa. coal mines and I'm thinking the family
            followed him, perhaps arriving in Philidelphia or Baltimore.
            The family was also supposed to be from the area around Pilsen.
            I'll post my findings when, [by some miracle], I find them.
            Good luck to us both!
            Dee
          • bigred1442
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 24, 2005

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 26, 2005
                Barbara:
                Okay, I checked the 1920 Population Census for
                Illinois, Cook County, Chicago, 33rd Precinct and
                found two FISHER families living next door to each
                other:

                Fisher, Frank, 33, Born in Austria
                Josephine (Wife), 27, Born in Austria
                Frank (Son), 7 1/2, Born in New York
                Josephine (Dau), 5 1/2, Born in Cleveland Ohio
                Rudie (Son), 1, Born in Chicago, Illinois
                Fisher, Albert, 37, Born in Austria
                Mary, (Wife), 37, Born in Austria
                Helen (Dau), 11 1/2, Born in New York
                Tillie (Dau), 11 1/2, Born in New York
                Louise (Dau), 10, Born in New York
                Emily (Dau), 8, Born in New York
                May(?) (Dau), 4, Born in Illinois
                The record indicates that all four adults were born in
                Austria as were their parents. I believe that Albert
                and Mary are indicated as having been married in
                Austria. Albert and Frank perhaps are brothers.

                Judging from the ages and birthplaces of the children,
                Albert and Mary lived in New York for approximately 7
                years before moving to Illinois and had lived in
                Illinois for the last 4 years.

                I can search other Census records, but I think you are
                going to have to get information from Austria about
                Albert's early life events and his parents.

                Let me know if I can do anything else to help you.
                Karen

                Karen E. Minnemeyer
                kamiki1@...

                http://mail.yahoo.com