Need help with Immigration

  • barbara erickson
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 31, 2005
      Hello, My great-grandfather was said to have worked on one of the ships coming to the US as a cabin boy. He went to town and when he came back it was gone. He stayed in the US. I have information that he became a citizen. I can't find him in the Ellie Island records. Now what do I do. Here is the information I do have.

      Name: Albert Fisher or Tyser ( Immigrant workers didn't understand him so they gave him the last name of Fisher.
      Born June 1,1882 Pilsen, Austria or Hradek, Czechoslovakia ( War changed borders)
      Arrived in US: June 1903
      Became citizen: July 5, 1921
      Other brothers came over using the tyser name and I have looked and looked.
      Thanks for your help, Barb

    • Karen Minnemeyer
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
        Hello:
        What "town" did your Grandfather stay in? It would be
        easy to check census records; but we must know what
        State and, if possible, the County in which he lived.
        Karen

        Karen E. Minnemeyer
        kamiki1@...

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • barbara erickson

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 7, 2005
            Barb:
            I found 2 Albert Fishers on the 1920 NY Census:

            Albert Fisher White Male 37 Born: Austria
            Gehrig Fisher White Female /Wife/ Born: New Jersey
            1920 Population Census; Manhattan Borough, NY, NY
            Working as Supervisor at Apartment House

            Albert Fisher White Male 39 Born: Hungary
            Josephine Fisher White Female /Wife/ Born: Hungary
            1920 Population Census; Manhattan Borough, NY, NY
            Working as Stock Clerk for Wholesale Store

            Could either of these be your grandfather?
            Karen

            Karen E. Minnemeyer
            kamiki1@...

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • barbara erickson

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 24, 2005
                --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, barbara erickson
                <berickson49@y...> wrote:
                > Hello, My great-grandfather was said to have worked on one of the
                ships coming to the US as a cabin boy. He went to town and when he
                came back it was gone. He stayed in the US. I have information that
                he became a citizen. I can't find him in the Ellie Island records.
                Now what do I do. Here is the information I do have.

                > Name: Albert Fisher or Tyser ( Immigrant workers didn't understand
                him so they gave him the last name of Fisher.
                > Born June 1,1882 Pilsen, Austria or Hradek, Czechoslovakia ( War
                changed borders)
                > Arrived in US: June 1903
                > Became citizen: July 5, 1921
                > Other brothers came over using the tyser name and I have looked
                and looked.
                > Thanks for your help, Barb

                Hi, Barb,
                I wish I could be of help, but I'm having the same problem.
                Although I've found my grandfather at Ellis Island in 1903,
                I'm not finding my grandmother and her kids, [who I know arrived
                that same year]. I have good reason to believe that grandfather
                Soukup worked in the Pa. coal mines and I'm thinking the family
                followed him, perhaps arriving in Philidelphia or Baltimore.
                The family was also supposed to be from the area around Pilsen.
                I'll post my findings when, [by some miracle], I find them.
                Good luck to us both!
                Dee
              • bigred1442
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 24, 2005

                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 26, 2005
                    Barbara:
                    Okay, I checked the 1920 Population Census for
                    Illinois, Cook County, Chicago, 33rd Precinct and
                    found two FISHER families living next door to each
                    other:

                    Fisher, Frank, 33, Born in Austria
                    Josephine (Wife), 27, Born in Austria
                    Frank (Son), 7 1/2, Born in New York
                    Josephine (Dau), 5 1/2, Born in Cleveland Ohio
                    Rudie (Son), 1, Born in Chicago, Illinois
                    Fisher, Albert, 37, Born in Austria
                    Mary, (Wife), 37, Born in Austria
                    Helen (Dau), 11 1/2, Born in New York
                    Tillie (Dau), 11 1/2, Born in New York
                    Louise (Dau), 10, Born in New York
                    Emily (Dau), 8, Born in New York
                    May(?) (Dau), 4, Born in Illinois
                    The record indicates that all four adults were born in
                    Austria as were their parents. I believe that Albert
                    and Mary are indicated as having been married in
                    Austria. Albert and Frank perhaps are brothers.

                    Judging from the ages and birthplaces of the children,
                    Albert and Mary lived in New York for approximately 7
                    years before moving to Illinois and had lived in
                    Illinois for the last 4 years.

                    I can search other Census records, but I think you are
                    going to have to get information from Austria about
                    Albert's early life events and his parents.

                    Let me know if I can do anything else to help you.
                    Karen

                    Karen E. Minnemeyer
                    kamiki1@...

                    http://mail.yahoo.com