RE: [Genealogy Research Club] Tracing Jewish ancestors

  • Roberta Kendall
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 14, 2005
      Laraine, I am currently tracing Jewish ancestors and am using some
      wonderful sites.

      I suggest you go to the library and check out "Genealogy Online for
      Dummies" - I know the title isn't great, but it comes with a CD on the
      back cover that holds, among other things, LOTS of urls that you can
      check. The book itself has so many helpful sites listed in it that I've
      decided to buy it. It's $24.99 new, so I'm going to try and find it
      used.

      One of them is JewishGen, an organization based in New York. That's one
      of the first places I started with, before I went to the library. You
      can check JewishGen for relatives without becoming a member (it's free
      anyway). You can also do a general search on Yahoo or Google for Jewish
      genealogy organizations/Jewish people in the 1800's/Jews killed in the
      Holocaust, you name it - you'll be surprised at how much comes up. I've
      been able to come up with names going back to the early 1800's that way.

      I also suggest joining Ancestry.com. They have a monthly rate that is
      much more affordable than what they advertise. Just call them. It's
      arouind $36. Also try the LDS site. Even though it's LDS, I have come
      up with TONS of leads on it, some that weren't on the Jewish sites.

      Also castlegarden.org (the place before Ellis Island got set up), the
      Ellis Island site, and www.stevemorse.org, which is an invaluable site
      for doing searches.

      That should keep you busy for a while. : )

      Roberta

      Roberta Kendall

      robtakendall@...

      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 14, 2005
        Hi Tamela
        His name is/was William Meekcom and he was born in
        England he married Eliza Lily Freeman and as far as we
        know only had 1 daughter (my grandmother) who of
        course died before I got bitten by the genealogy bug.
        We have no other info. on him
        Laraine

      • omadarlin_2000
        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 15, 2005
          Cassandra,

          Thank you so much for this bit of information! I just got caught up
          on my genealogy emails this weekend and, being too stingy to invest in
          $$$$.com, have had a TON of fun looking through the Heritage Quest
          census records.

          One of the most interesting finds was that my maternal g-father's dad
          (Lew) boarded next door to my maternal g-mother's parents (Albert &
          Yvonne). Who would have guessed that years later Lew's son would
          marry Albert & Yvonne's baby girl! My grandmother didn't even know
          they had been neighbors. I also found Alberts
          emigration/naturalization dates. Yippee!

          This is too much fun!

          Heather in Cincy

          > I know my library here if you have a card you can sign on from home
          to there data base. This is heritage quest census. Mine doesn't have
          all of them but it is free.