RE: [Genealogy Research Club] Tracing Jewish ancestors

  • Tamela jernigan
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 13, 2005
      Hi Laraine,
      I don't know of any jewish sites, but I will help you if you give me what info you have on him.

      laraine Gill <witchoneau@...> wrote:

      Hi
      I'm trying to trace my maternalGGF his surname is
      Meekcom and the only reference to that name has been
      of a Jewish holocaust(?sp) survivor, so I am wondering
      if they were Jewish and if so is there a website I can
      go to so I can check.
      Thanks
      Laraine

      Try Yahoo! Photomail Beta: Send up to 300 photos in one email!
      http://au.photomail.mail.yahoo.com

      Genealogy research Genealogy information

      Tammy Jenigan

    • Roberta Kendall
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 14, 2005
        Laraine, I am currently tracing Jewish ancestors and am using some
        wonderful sites.

        I suggest you go to the library and check out "Genealogy Online for
        Dummies" - I know the title isn't great, but it comes with a CD on the
        back cover that holds, among other things, LOTS of urls that you can
        check. The book itself has so many helpful sites listed in it that I've
        decided to buy it. It's $24.99 new, so I'm going to try and find it
        used.

        One of them is JewishGen, an organization based in New York. That's one
        of the first places I started with, before I went to the library. You
        can check JewishGen for relatives without becoming a member (it's free
        anyway). You can also do a general search on Yahoo or Google for Jewish
        genealogy organizations/Jewish people in the 1800's/Jews killed in the
        Holocaust, you name it - you'll be surprised at how much comes up. I've
        been able to come up with names going back to the early 1800's that way.

        I also suggest joining Ancestry.com. They have a monthly rate that is
        much more affordable than what they advertise. Just call them. It's
        arouind $36. Also try the LDS site. Even though it's LDS, I have come
        up with TONS of leads on it, some that weren't on the Jewish sites.

        Also castlegarden.org (the place before Ellis Island got set up), the
        Ellis Island site, and www.stevemorse.org, which is an invaluable site
        for doing searches.

        That should keep you busy for a while. : )

        Roberta

        Roberta Kendall

        robtakendall@...

        I don't know of any jewish sites, but I will help you if you give me
        what info you have on him.

        laraine Gill <witchoneau@...> wrote:

        Hi
        I'm trying to trace my maternalGGF his surname is
        Meekcom and the only reference to that name has been
        of a Jewish holocaust(?sp) survivor, so I am wondering
        if they were Jewish and if so is there a website I can
        go to so I can check.
        Thanks
        Laraine

        Try Yahoo! Photomail Beta: Send up to 300 photos in one email!
        http://au.photomail.mail.yahoo.com

        http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408
        <http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408&siteid=18621718>
        &siteid=18621718

        Genealogy research Genealogy information

        Tammy Jenigan

        http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408
        <http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408&siteid=18621718>
        &siteid=18621718

        Genealogy
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Genealogy+research&w1=Genealogy+res
        earch&w2=Genealogy+information&c=2&s=51&.sig=s-JonNO38gND3RJ-5wZPtQ>
        research Genealogy
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Genealogy+information&w1=Genealogy+
        research&w2=Genealogy+information&c=2&s=51&.sig=DAxXPdN5WW_ul2lNFtt71w>
        information

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "genealogyresearchclub
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genealogyresearchclub> " on the web.

        cribe>

        _____

      • Roberta Kendall
        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 14, 2005
          Try this too:

          http://www.usgenweb.org/projects/index.shtml

          There are TONS of sites out there, you'll find that one leads to more.
          I do suggest buying that book though.

          Roberta

          Roberta Kendall

          robtakendall@...

          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 14, 2005
            Hi Tamela
            His name is/was William Meekcom and he was born in
            England he married Eliza Lily Freeman and as far as we
            know only had 1 daughter (my grandmother) who of
            course died before I got bitten by the genealogy bug.
            We have no other info. on him
            Laraine

          • omadarlin_2000
            Message 5 of 26 , Aug 15, 2005
              Cassandra,

              Thank you so much for this bit of information! I just got caught up
              on my genealogy emails this weekend and, being too stingy to invest in
              $$$$.com, have had a TON of fun looking through the Heritage Quest
              census records.

              One of the most interesting finds was that my maternal g-father's dad
              (Lew) boarded next door to my maternal g-mother's parents (Albert &
              Yvonne). Who would have guessed that years later Lew's son would
              marry Albert & Yvonne's baby girl! My grandmother didn't even know
              they had been neighbors. I also found Alberts
              emigration/naturalization dates. Yippee!

              This is too much fun!

              Heather in Cincy

              > I know my library here if you have a card you can sign on from home
              to there data base. This is heritage quest census. Mine doesn't have
              all of them but it is free.