Re: What kind of medium would you rather access

  • Martin Eayrs
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10, 2005
      One or two other things you might like to consider here.

      A. Do you want to modify the files once you have burned them to
      CD/DVD ? If so, you will need reusable CDs/DVDs and there are some
      compatibility issues here when you try to read a disk in some
      computers. Although of course you can always burn 'sessions' on
      non-reusable discs in either media - and remember to format them as
      'hybrid' if you want to share with non-PC users like me..

      B. What volume of info are we talking here ? To burn a few of text
      files or low res images on a DVD seems a little excessive ! And oto
      turn it round, some files simply won't fit on a DVD anyway.

      C. How fast access do you want to your files? Trawling through disk
      back-ups can be tiresome unless you are very organized and you
      generally need a disk in the drive to search the content. In this
      sense, DVDs may be a better bet.

      My view (unsolicited, I know) - I think disks are good for exchanging
      data (they are robust enough to send through the mail) but for long
      term storage I prefer to use a system of inter-connected hard disks
      which I back up in turn. That way I always have instant access to all
      my files. Yes, it costs a bit more, but so does the time searching
      for elusive data. And I can take the hard drive with me when I travel
      and connect it up to any other machine.

      In fact I usually use my laptop as one of my drives - I always use it
      when travelling, and when I get back from a trip I can connect it to
      my desktop (start it up in target disk mode) and just use it like any
      other disk. I don't know whether PCs do this though - I've been using
      Macs since 1984..

      Martin

      >Shelly J <sjohn9916098@...> wrote:
      >Let me ask the group this question, I have several obits from a local
      >St. mary's county, md newspaper, would it be better to scan them onto
      >to a dvd or cd? What kind of medium would you rather access if you had
      >the choice? Please send me your thoughts on this matter

      Martin Eayrs can be contacted c/o
      PO Box 710, Lancaster, LA2 0ZY, UK.
      Main interests: Eayrs (Hairs, Hare, Ayres,
      Eayres, Eyres (+ other variant spellings) in
      and around Lincolnshire, Leicestershire and
      Rutland (UK). Other interests include Sharp,
      Hawnt, Malpas, Clough as detailed at my web
      site http://www.eayrs.com/genealogy/index.html
      The Eayrs family discussion list is at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Eayrs